PDA

View Full Version : Squeezecenter 7 fails to start on XP

ianto39
2008-04-23, 14:10
After a clean, full uninstall of SC7, including manually deleting SC folders from c:\documents&settings & c:\program files, then fresh install from the latest download on XP Pro, logged in as machine Administrator, no antivirus s/w installed, no spyware s/w running. no firewall, SC7 tries to start, taskbar icon says "SqueezeCenter Starting" but it never does. It starts the SqueezeMySQL service, which then shuts down, Event viewer (Application) says "Normal Shutdown", though Event Viewer (System) says "The SqueezeMySQL service terminated unexpectedly". I've run tcpview and nothing else is using the SC7 ports.

It looks like SqueezeMySQL is hanging or crashing, maybe due to something left behind by a previous product that included MySQL, the only other installed S/w that uses MySQL is Adobe Bridge, which isn't running.

Has anyone else come across this and solved it or got any ideas?

The SC server log says:
[08-04-22 12:04:38.4626] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (67) Error: DBI Connection failed: DBI connect('hostname=127.0.0.1;port=9092;database=sli mserver','slimserver',...) failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (10061) at C:\PROGRA~1\SqueezeCenter\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 652
[08-04-22 12:04:38.4638] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (67) Backtrace:"

The mysql-error-log.txt says:
InnoDB: The first specified data file .\ibdata1 did not exist:
InnoDB: a new database to be created!
080422 11:39:19 InnoDB: Setting file .\ibdata1 size to 10 MB
InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait...
080422 11:39:20 InnoDB: Log file .\ib_logfile0 did not exist: new to be created
InnoDB: Setting log file .\ib_logfile0 size to 5 MB
080422 11:39:20 InnoDB: Log file .\ib_logfile1 did not exist: new to be created
InnoDB: Setting log file .\ib_logfile1 size to 5 MB
InnoDB: Doublewrite buffer not found: creating new
InnoDB: Doublewrite buffer created
InnoDB: Creating foreign key constraint system tables
InnoDB: Foreign key constraint system tables created
080422 11:39:20 InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 0
080422 11:39:20 [Warning] Can't open and lock time zone table: Table 'mysql.time_zone_leap_second' doesn't exist trying to live without them
080422 11:39:20 [Note] C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\Bin\MSWIN3~1\mysqld.ex e: ready for connections.
Version: '5.0.22-community-nt' socket: '' port: 9092 MySQL Community Edition (GPL)
080422 11:39:22 [Note] C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\Bin\MSWIN3~1\mysqld.ex e: Normal shutdown

080422 11:39:22 InnoDB: Starting shutdown...
080422 11:39:24 InnoDB: Shutdown completed; log sequence number 0 43655
080422 11:39:24 [Note] C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\Bin\MSWIN3~1\mysqld.ex e: Shutdown complete

080422 11:39:25 InnoDB: Operating system error number 87 in a file operation.
InnoDB: Some operating system error numbers are described at
InnoDB: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Operating_System_error_codes.html
InnoDB: File name .\ib_logfile0
InnoDB: File operation call: 'aio read'.

Fleury
2008-04-23, 14:37
Same problem on XP SP2 w/ all updates etc.. 6.5 never worked on start up either until I tried giving it admin privileges to startup (a strategy that doesn't seem to work with 7.0). SC 7.0 changed the rules. But it still doesn't start up, either as service or .exe,. The tray icon shows "starting" but never does. Disabling zone alarm and/or McAfee doesn't help.

Strangely, an identical box the with same version OS and SC etc., same antivirus, starts every time since installation. I tried fooling my balky box by making a shortcut to the squeezetray.exe file and sticking it in the Programs/Startup folder (shades of Windows '95). That works about every other startup or so. I tried setting it up as a service, no joy there either...SqueezeMySQL shows as "stopping" in Task Manager, but never actually stops, and can't be stopped from TM or services.msc.

mherger
2008-04-23, 22:58
> The SC server log says:

Could you please provide the full log file?

Michael

ianto39
2008-04-23, 23:13
server logfile & mysql error file are attached

Fleury
2008-04-24, 07:45
When I use the option to try to start SC as a service, and enter the login pw etc. it goes to DOS, displays "squeezesvc installed as Squuezecenter", cursor blinks for a while, then it flashes an error message that runs to several lines. I hadn't noticed it before because it is gone in a second or two. Is there a log file somewhere that would contain this error message?

mherger
2008-04-24, 08:02
> When I use the option to try to start SC as a service, and enter the
> login pw etc. it goes to DOS, displays "squeezesvc installed as
> Squuezecenter", cursor blinks for a while, then it flashes an error
> message that runs to several lines. I hadn't noticed it before because
> it is gone in a second or two.

Unless you're on a very recent 7.0.1 build I assume this is a neglectable error message which I've fixed a few days ago. You could try filming your screen to have a snapshot of that message :-)

--

Michael

ianto39
2008-04-24, 11:43
dont know if it means anything but the service image is defined in the registry as
"C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~1\server\Bin\MSWIN3~1\mysqld.ex e --defaults-file=C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\APPLIC~1\SQUEEZ~1\Cache\ my.cnf SqueezeMySQL" but no .cnf file exists

also, if i run mysqld.exe (with no arguments) from the command line it first complains that there is no file c:\program
files\squeezecenter\server\bin\share\english\errms g.sys, if i create the
folder and copy the file from the ...\mysql folder then it wants to change
directory to a folder c:\program files\squeezecenter\server\bin\data, if i
create that folder then it runs, doesnt do anything but adds an event entry as per attached file scmysql.jpg

Rabitech
2008-04-24, 16:14
I am having the same problem.

XP SP2, new install of SC7.0. MySQL is crashing every time I try and start it.

Skunk
2008-04-24, 16:25
Has anyone else come across this and solved it or got any ideas?

I think I came across something similar, but Michael's fix seemed to work for me: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5826

ianto39
2008-04-24, 21:41
A theory I had was that the problem may be to do with the error 87 mentioned in the mysql-error-log which is described on mysql.com as:
"87 (ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER)
The parameter is incorrect. (If this error occurs on Windows and you have enabled innodb_file_per_table in a server option file, add the line innodb_flush_method=unbuffered to the file as well.)"

The fix at mysql.com concerns the mysql db options innodb_file_per_table and innodb_flush_method=unbuffered, if the first is being used on Windows then the 2nd should be too.

Searching strings in the mysqld.exe that is in the SC7 distribution finds innodb_file_per_table but not innodb_flush_method=unbuffered, which may be something or nothing at all and doesn't explain why SC7 installs fine on most XP systems, but not all. Though another mention of error 87 (I forget where) linked it to a hard drive device driver issue, which might explain it after all. Doesn't help us get it working though.

mherger
2008-04-24, 22:52
> XP SP2, new install of SC7.0. MySQL is crashing every time I try and
> start it.

Any antivirus installed? Make it _not_ block *.my* files.

Michael

ianto39
2008-04-24, 23:20
"no antivirus s/w installed, no spyware s/w running. no firewall"

NAV was uninstalled to see if it was the problem, Webroot SpySweeper shutdown and no firewall on PC, made no difference, my other machine (W2k3SVR) has NAV & SS running and SC7 installs & runs fine on it.

Phil Leigh
2008-04-25, 09:33
are you sure that the Adobe Bridge install isn't messing with your MySQL install?

ianto39
2008-04-27, 18:42
The wife's laptop is running all the same stuff including Adobe CS3 (with Bridge) installed and SC7 runs fine on that, so I dont think it's the Bridge. I may try uninstalling the Bridge to test it next time I'm at the PC in a week or so but you only want to spend just so much time uninstalling & reinstalling stuff that you do need just to try and make something work that you don't.

CRaZY_A
2008-05-01, 06:16
I'm having the same issues with Squeezecenter 7 on XP. It tries to start, but nothing happens. I think something is crashing in the background as stated previously. Anyone else have any suggestions on what's causing this?

Thanks for everyone's support.

A

squeezebox_huf
2008-05-17, 14:43
This has been bugging me for quite a while now - in fact since I upgraded from slimserver6.5.4 to squeezecentre 7. I think I finally cracked it tonight, please let me know if this helps anyone else!

In the end I discovered that the 2 new services added by the installation were interfering with each other. Both Squeezecenter Service and SqueezeMySQL were added as "Automatic" starting services. The SqueezeMySQL service was always in a state of "Stopping..." but never stopped! So I killed the MySQLd process. That stopped it. I noticed that if I started the SqueezeCenter Service then the SqueezeMySQL service also started gracefully by itself and the whole thing was running OK. So my fix was to change the SqueezeMySQL service to be a "Manual" startup service. Now the SqueezeCenter service starts it up automatically. I think they were fighting with each other at boot time.

I hope this helps.

Hamish.

friendlyfire
2008-10-24, 09:09
I'm not sure if this is related, but on my XP machine I have the option to "start up on log in" on the system tray checked, but when the machine starts up squeezecenter does not start automatically. On each reboot I need to right click the icon and select "start", and once I do that everything works fine. Also, I notice that the selection to "start automatically" has been mysteriously deselected. Argh!

I've haven't dug into the logs yet to see if there are some clues, but if anyone has a quick fix or suggestion for troubleshooting please let me know.
thanks!