PDA

View Full Version : My new SqueezeCenter

th00ht
2008-04-22, 12:21
Smaller is not possible.

This VIA Artigo was build from the kit (http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/embedded/artigo/) in less that 30min and sports a 120Gig harddisk for the OS (Ubuntu 7.10) and the 500Gig USB harddisk on the left hand side for music.

Smaller, faster and, most important, far less power consumption: 25 Watt (!).

Matt Wise
2008-04-22, 12:48
Smaller is not possible.

This VIA Artigo was build from the kit (http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/embedded/artigo/) in less that 30min and sports a 120Gig harddisk for the OS (Ubuntu 7.10) and the 500Gig USB harddisk on the left hand side for music.

How is the power usage for the Artigo box itself? I've got mine running on a FitPC (http://www.fit-pc.com/new/fit-pc/about-fit-pc.html)... it idles at 3watts (tested with a kill-a-watt), and maxes out at 5 watts. It does quite well, but ive seen it have some issues when I try to hit Fast Forward too many times while streaming ALAC files. A few ALAC processes get started up at once and bog the system down. After 20-30 seconds though they die and I'm left with just the one process I want.

I'm really hoping to find a system that idles at 8-10 watts, but runs around 1GHz instead of 500MHz..

egd
2008-04-22, 14:21
Smaller is not possible.

Almost down to a tee what I had in mind @ Thoughts on this as a standalone or networked SB3 Jukebox (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=46279). How does it perform, and is it quiet enough to have running in the same room you're listening in e.g. a bedroom?

polocruz
2008-04-22, 15:13
My Artigo is running WinXP. It's got no problems running SqueezeCenter with (2) SB3's and a Duet.

Although I am disappointed with the fan noise. Is there a BIOS setting to throttle the fan? Am I missing something?

Paolo

Green0
2008-04-22, 16:06
Anyone out there running SlimNAS on one of these lovely little ARTiGO boxes?
Does it cope OK?

Matt Wise
2008-04-22, 19:33
My Artigo is running WinXP. It's got no problems running SqueezeCenter with (2) SB3's and a Duet.

Although I am disappointed with the fan noise. Is there a BIOS setting to throttle the fan? Am I missing something?

Paolo

The interesting thing about the Fit PC is that it's fanless... its designed to run Linux which is a bit more resource-friendly though. On mine I can easily support 3-4 squeezeboxes going at the same time.

th00ht
2008-04-24, 15:20

That's right, it is noisy but as it is sitting in The Other Room I was not to concerned about noise but more about power consumption having the Dell Optiples drawing 100 Watts.

th00ht
2008-04-24, 15:34
How is the power usage for the Artigo box itself?

It's a 1Ghz/1GByte/120Gbyte running Ubuntu for under 25Watt. It seems not to handle suspend or hibernate very well (or is this Ubuntu 7.10 ACPI screwing up??) so it is running full speed all the time.

th00ht
2008-04-24, 15:38
I'm really hoping to find a system that idles at 8-10 watts, but runs around 1GHz instead of 500MHz..

there is a fanless, heatpipe based unit with the same board available Sell Fanless Pico-ITX Case(GS-L08) Fanless Pico-ITX Case(GS-L08)

mourges
2008-04-30, 03:32
Is the noise of the unit noticable if you have something like the TV on?

I don't really have a spare room, and every time we have guests the server has to be turned off :-(

pjdowns
2008-05-05, 12:58
mourges,

Get yourself a Apple IMac and stream the music from that, the machine is soooo quiet.

Paul.

th00ht
2008-05-11, 02:15
Is the noise of the unit noticable if you have something like the TV on?

You use headphones?

But without kidding this is not the most silent deal. I went through a number of PCs in the attempt to cut the noise. My Shuttle xPC Reflexion was a mistake. It is a cute little machine with heatpipe and all but the PSU makes such a rackit that I cannot have it on all the time without going slightly deaf. My current MMPC is a FujituSiemens q5000, A neat little fellow as an answer to Apple's mini. Runs silent and like a breeze but I was looking for something that can be switched on all the time, read low power consumption. My Lacie Ethernet Disk Mini runs a fine uPNP server and makes hardly a peep. Unfortunately it does not run SC as the machine has proprietary Linux setup.

So that is where the Artigo came from. Small and virtually no power consumption. (Honestly I cannot believe a machine with a harddisk to go below 25Watts and btw we have 230Volts here so 10Watt is about 100mA which would amount to 10Watt in the US of A)

syburgh
2008-05-12, 18:39

This is not (quite) what you are looking for, but here is what I found a few months ago when I was in the market for a small passively cooled SC system: AOpen DE-945FL. Passive cooling was more important in my selection than low power, though they are closely related requirements.

With a SATA 2.5 in disk, Intel Core Solo (T1400) running at 1GHz (via SpeedStep), and both DIMM banks populated (2x2GB) it streams at 19W (also its idle draw) from the mains. The T1400 CPU is the highest power chip on the approved list (1.8GHz, 27W TDP), so maybe other chips may improve things. Less RAM would also help. I believe it's intended to drive digital signs (hence the DVI port).

I've seen it draw 33W, but that was during startup. The heatsink frequently reaches 54C, and disk is warmer than I would like (SMART reports 40-47C when streaming). Most laptop drives are specified for 55C operation, but higher temperatures will probably reduce life. At full power (e.g. transcoding with flac2mp3) it will reach 65C.

This AOpen system is far above your power budget but it is a full Intel Core based system (similar to a low end Thinkpad T60 laptop) with passive cooling. Paired with a quiet 2.5in drive (enable AAM) it is as quiet as I could reasonably expect (no drive is completely silent). Having an Intel gigabit NIC is nice but not really necessary (working WOL is important, fast uploads to SC library).

The cost is excessive for years old tech, but it is solidly built and seems well designed (the heatpipe/sink is particularly impressive). I have it set to suspend to RAM during inactivity and my SBs wake it using WOL: it spends nearly all of its time in ACPI S3 (4W) or S5 (3W). Need 3-10s to resume from S3, which has been adequate for my needs.

The Atom CPUs will be much better for passive cooling. If this system works with a 27W CPU then more reasonable passively cooled systems cannot be far off.

Mathiou
2008-05-13, 06:53
I've made something similar to your SqueezeCenter:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=47388

Sike
2008-05-14, 04:08
th00ht: Where did you get it from, and how much was it? (with or without the internal disk.

Cheers

Sike

th00ht
2008-05-15, 14:17
th00ht: Where did you get it from, and how much was it? (with or without the internal disk.
Sike

Me in Switzerland no supplier here.
1) Reichelt Elekronik (Elektronikring 1 - 26452 Sande Germany, www.reichelt.de) offered the kit (incl.processor, psu etc. but no mem and no HD) for EUR 268.- + EUR 54.20 Spesen

2) added a Samsung 120GB CHF 80.- (stegpc)
3) 1GB SO-DIMM CHF 30.- (stegpc)

The external disk 500GB was CHF199.- (interdiscount)

(use www.oanda.com for exchange rates :-) )

th00ht
2008-05-15, 14:28
Get yourself a Apple IMac and stream the music from that, the machine is soooo quiet.

I'm wondering Paul, what is the power consumption of an "Apple iMac"?

th00ht
2008-05-15, 14:37
This is not (quite) what you are looking for, but here is what I found a few months ago when I was in the market for a small passively cooled SC system: AOpen DE-945FL. Passive cooling was more important in my selection than low power, though they are closely related requirements.

That is a real neat machine as well syburgh. And from the position of all the connectors and switches it resembles scaringly my Fujitsu Siemens Q5000.

My attention was drawn to the VIA chipsets and (Pico-ITX) motherboards as they are intended for embedded use. The Artigo just seems to be a "proof of concept" kind of idea and does not use all the features the EPIA-PX board offers among which are:
* integrated UniChrome Pro II AGP, with XVGA and DVI out
* UltraDMA
* SATA
* Ethernet
* 7.1 Audio-out, Line-out, Line-in, HP-out, S/PDIF-in, MIC-in
* Video capture (with add on board)
* 4 USB2

and just for anyone who cares, installation was done of a USB memory stick

(below the Q5000 back, a spitting image of syburgh's post)

th00ht
2008-05-15, 14:53
I've made something similar to your SqueezeCenter:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=47388

That is a real slick machine you have there Mathiou

syburgh
2008-05-15, 19:38
That is a real neat machine as well syburgh. And from the position of all the connectors and switches it resembles scaringly my Fujitsu Siemens Q5000.
Interesting, looks like a AOpen i945GMx-FX (AOpen http://vip.aopen.com/products_mb_i945GMx-FX.htm) (or similiar) based system. Does it have a fan?

Sike
2008-05-15, 22:28
I'm wondering Paul, what is the power consumption of an "Apple iMac"?

The Mac mini is 35-85W

iMAC
Sourced from: http://www.macwelt.de/forum/showthread.php?t=681780

iMac off = 0 Watts
iMac starting = starts at 90 Watts then goes down to 57 Watts
iMac log on screen = 57 Watts
Logging on MacOS (HD strill chruning) = 61 Watts
iMac screen saver "Computer Name" = 56 Watts
iMac screen saver "Beach" = 61 Watts
Only iTunes on playing music = 62 Watts
HD cleanup utility = 67 Watts
iMac sleeping = 3 Watts

Sike
2008-05-15, 22:39
Me in Switzerland no supplier here.
1) Reichelt Elekronik (Elektronikring 1 - 26452 Sande Germany, www.reichelt.de) offered the kit (incl.processor, psu etc. but no mem and no HD) for EUR 268.- + EUR 54.20 Spesen

Somehow we always get screwed here in Switzerland. A litte steep. I'm for the the states in a week, i'm going to take a look on the interwebs to see what else there is around. A mac mini might be my solution (cost around the same 599$ for the whole thing) .. if only we could get flatrate (solar)power

Ashy72
2008-05-16, 11:29
This was done on the cheap I purchased the computer from ebay 100 added a 160Gb 2.5" hard drive for music only, piggy backed on top of the 20Gb 2.5"hard drive running the operating system and a few programs.

The computer motherboard is a VIA Epia-ML 6000
It has a VIA C3/EDEN Processor
1 Gb DDR RAM
10/100 LAN
2 x USB If I reguire an external USB drive in the future.
I dont know what make the case is but it looks sweet with the blue LED illuminated front.

The system is fanless and it is very quiet and runs on a seperate power supply on anywhere between 14-60 Watts depending on what the computer is doing at the time.

Currently installed Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy as operating system.

The system runs flawlessly it is connected directly to my bt homehub router with an ethernet cable and the squeezebox works wirelessly from the router.

andynormancx
2008-05-16, 11:39
I dont know what make the case is but it looks sweet with the blue LED illuminated front.

It is a Tranquil T3

http://www.tranquilpc.co.uk/T3.htm

th00ht
2008-05-16, 11:50
Thanks andy and ashy,

from their website I see that you can even pick your favourite colo(u)r!

This would solve the problem that whenever I have visitors to stay for the night I'm on SqueezeNetwork as the SqueezeCenter would deprive the company of their sleep.

A nice design from tranquil (I like the apple on the T7 :-) ).
Although the amount of mem (512) and processor speed (600) might be on the small side.

It is a Tranquil T3

http://www.tranquilpc.co.uk/T3.htm

Sike
2008-05-20, 04:06
A new Intel Atom board is coming out soon: D945GCLF

http://www.tranquilpc-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Motherboards.html

PeterDB
2008-05-27, 13:16
Hi th00th,

I really like the setup of using the Artigo kit with a USB HDD.

I have been thinking about this type of setup myself, as my old 1TB iomega NAS is too noisy, especially in combination with a HP desktop pc. Although, I am considering getting a solid state disk for the OS itself and get a fan less USB HDD. On toppreise.ch, you can easily pickup a 32GB SSD with PATA IDE interface for 200 CHF.

However, I do have a few questions for you:

1. I read that the fan from the Artigo does produce a high pitch noise, is this true?

2. I know that Linux support is not great for the picoITX board in the Artigo kit, but you say that you were runing Ubuntu 7.10, have you tried 8.04?

3. How many Squeezebox's do you run off it. (I have four SB3's and one Duet, but I mainly only use 2-3 at a time and with synchronized audio)

/Peter

th00ht
2008-06-07, 08:40
However, I do have a few questions for you:

1. I read that the fan from the Artigo does produce a high pitch noise, is this true?

2. I know that Linux support is not great for the picoITX board in the Artigo kit, but you say that you were runing Ubuntu 7.10, have you tried 8.04?

3. How many Squeezebox's do you run off it. (I have four SB3's and one Duet, but I mainly only use 2-3 at a time and with synchronized audio)

/Peter
1. yes. you don't want to sit next to it
2. not tried 8, no 7 runs just excellent (installed of of a USB stick)
3. duh, four SB3's ! either you run a large family or a small company. The 1Gig processor and 1Gig RAM can easily manage the one SB3 I have (< 1% CPU) probably more. All depending on the source material and the amount of (re)scanning and re-encoding you do. As far as I know streaming puts virtually no stress on the CPU of the server as long as you not require it to do transcoding.

sebp
2008-06-08, 02:09
3. duh, four SB3's ! either you run a large family or a small company.
Or maybe he just owns/hires a big house? :-)

At the beginning I only had a SB3 in my bedroom.
Then, my HTPC died and I bought another SB3 for the living room.
Then, the Duet came out, I bought one, and now I can listen to my music in the kitchen.

Squeezebox is some kind of viral device, since I could now easily think of getting more units so that I can get music in the guests bedroom, veranda, bathroom, wherever!

As far as I know streaming puts virtually no stress on the CPU of the server as long as you not require it to do transcoding.
Right. I run SqueezeCenter on top of a ReadyNAS NV+, and - given you're not running a rsync backup in the meantime - this poor little thing's CPU won't faint when streaming different FLAC tracks to my three players.

th00ht
2008-06-08, 08:33
Time to put Michael's link on this thread as well : http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=36430

It would be nice to have some pictures of this setup (Michael?).

aubuti
2008-06-09, 06:10
Time to put Michael's link on this thread as well : http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=36430

It would be nice to have some pictures of this setup (Michael?).
Plenty of pictures and an extensive how-to if you go to the website noted in post #7 http://www.ulverston.myzen.co.uk/mini-itx/index.htm

bartverwaaijen
2008-09-17, 14:29
I use my sny ux280 as my squeezecenter combined with a western digital mybook(1TB). I just measured the power consumption today and it's a constant 18 Watt's. So that's as low as it gets I think.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5856&stc=1&d=1221499320

aubuti
2008-09-18, 14:29
I use my sny ux280 as my squeezecenter combined with a western digital mybook(1TB). I just measured the power consumption today and it's a constant 18 Watt's. So that's as low as it gets I think.
As low as what gets? Your system or others more generally? At least a few NASs go lower than 18W (eg, LinkStation Pro 750 at 14W).

bartverwaaijen
2008-09-19, 11:02
as low as I can get it at the moment :)