PDA

View Full Version : Slow / No Access to SqueezeCenter

agbagb
2008-04-22, 07:45
SqueezeCenter 7.0 under XP. PC with SC 7 wired to router; Music Folder on USB external HDD. 2 x Wireless SB3s, synched.

So, this morning the SBs woke up on Alarm cue - all fine. All the network is working properly, and fast (net access, local network [laptop, printers], assorted USB HDDs etc).

From either of the SB remotes I can access all music files, and all saved playlists. Alien BBC net stream working fine. And all at usual high speed.

BUT - I'm having problems accessing SqueezeCenter on the PC. It's taking 6 or 7 minutes to open SC at all, and then it is almost entirely un-responsive to any commands. Just an example - I've just switched from BBC R3 to a digital music file via a remote, but SC is still showing R3 as the playing track.... The URL at the top of my Firefox browser is showing <http://127.0.0.1:9000/> as usual. At the bottom of my screen I'm getting a < Waiting for 127.0.0.1 > message, and the Windows timer icon.

I tried a re-boot of the PC, but that didn't help at all.

Suggestions?

AGB

moley6knipe
2008-04-22, 08:33
Not helpful, but "me too". I've been running the "general release" version of SC7 from http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html since it came out, but over the last few days the web gui sticks at the "loading Squeezecenter" stage. If I click Stop (IE7) it will most of the time show the page. Seems to be the case that after having used the remote it will then load correctly. SB3 response remains normal, ie fast! I use ethernet all the way, with a router.

I've not done anything to SC7 (apart from a scheduled Clear and Rescan every night) so perhaps it's a windows update that's caused this somehow?

agbagb
2008-04-22, 08:42
My problem only started this morning (Tuesday 22nd April), but there was no XP update to my PC overnight (or none that I got a notification of!); and SqueezeCenter was working normally yesterday.

And as I say, every other aspect of the network is working fine.

AGB

radish
2008-04-22, 08:52
Doyou have any plugins installed? The only time I saw anything like this was when my server lost outbound connectivity due to a network misconfiguration - the plugin I use to display weather reports seemed to cause a lot of slowdown as it tried to connect.

agbagb
2008-04-22, 09:17
Doyou have any plugins installed? The only time I saw anything like this was when my server lost outbound connectivity due to a network misconfiguration - the plugin I use to display weather reports seemed to cause a lot of slowdown as it tried to connect.

The only other "network consumers" on the SC PC are automatic back-up programs. One backs up stuff within the local network; one backs up over the net to a remote facility. But both of those have been running in the background for 2 years without problems. And I stopped both this morning to see if it made any difference. Nada. And no other plug-ins either on this PC or on the wireless laptop.

And, as I say, he SBs are playing across the network just fine; and they are running a BBC radio stream just fine (some judders and drops on that stream are usually a sign that my network traffic is a bit too high).

It's just this PC can't seem to summon SqueezeCenter.

AGB

moley6knipe
2008-04-22, 09:21
Likewise for me; the only plugin not included with SC7 that I use is LazySearch. The strangeness is that it has been running fine, but only recently has it failed to load on the PC; I don't know when it started exactly as I rarely use the web GUI.

Anyone know which logging and at what level to turn on to help with this?

agbagb
2008-04-22, 09:30
Just to clarify - I *do* use the web GUI all the time. Everything was running fine yesterday. The PC runs overnight, so there was no reboot this morning. And, the ALARM worked fine. But when I opened my Firefox, and then tried to open the SC web GUI - that's when my problem started.

With the web GUI all jammed up, logging might be a problem.......

AGB

moley6knipe
2008-04-22, 09:39
Does Firefox have an equivalent to the IE7 stop button? If so, try clicking that - it stopped the "loading" page and took me into what seemed to be a functioning web gui (for me at least).

agbagb
2008-04-22, 09:47
Does Firefox have an equivalent to the IE7 stop button? If so, try clicking that - it stopped the "loading" page and took me into what seemed to be a functioning web gui (for me at least).

Yes it does - my SC screen layout is the classic one, two panes, with menus and the like on the left and the "now playing screen" on the right. Pressing STOP in FF turn the right pane blank. Pressing RELOAD turns the whole screen blank, until it does finally re-load, after 10 minutes or so. And when it has loaded, it is unresponsive, taking many minutes to accept any command, or to update the Now Playing window.

AGB

Secret Squirrel
2008-04-22, 10:32
Yes it does - my SC screen layout is the classic one, two panes, with menus and the like on the left and the "now playing screen" on the right. Pressing STOP in FF turn the right pane blank. Pressing RELOAD turns the whole screen blank, until it does finally re-load, after 10 minutes or so. And when it has loaded, it is unresponsive, taking many minutes to accept any command, or to update the Now Playing window.

AGB

In the past I have had this happen (but not ten minutes worth). When checking in Task Manager I found that FF had grown huge in memory assigned. (This must have been cured in one of their latest revisions b/c I haven't had in happen in awhile. Then, just stopping & restarting FF solved the problem, but I image you've already tried that.

Oh, perchance do you have automatic update of FF? They just had a new release recently. Maybe...

Best of luck, I understand your frustration!

SS

Stouthart
2008-04-22, 11:30
In the past I have had this happen (but not ten minutes worth). When checking in Task Manager I found that FF had grown huge in memory assigned. (This must have been cured in one of their latest revisions b/c I haven't had in happen in awhile. Then, just stopping & restarting FF solved the problem, but I image you've already tried that.

Oh, perchance do you have automatic update of FF? They just had a new release recently. Maybe...

Best of luck, I understand your frustration!

SS

IMO it has nothing to do with FF. Since day one, I am sufferering from the same problems, no matter what browser I use. SC even *crashes* during the day without using a browser. I now have a script scheduled running daily to restart SC.

SqueezeCenter-versie: 7.0 - 17793 - Windows Server 2003 - NL - cp1252

agbagb
2008-04-22, 11:37
IMO it has nothing to do with FF. Since day one, I am sufferering from the same problems, no matter what browser I use. SC even *crashes* during the day without using a browser. I now have a script scheduled running daily to restart SC.

SqueezeCenter-versie: 7.0 - 17793 - Windows Server 2003 - NL - cp1252

Ok - but just to be clear, my problem is not with SqueezeCenter crashing or stopping. It must be working fine, as I can run my SBs via their remotes with no problem at all. And if I stop and re-start SqueezeCenter, it start up normally and quickly. My problem is with the web GUI Interface. It's *that* which is hanging up. I just tried to access SC via IE, rather than Firefox - but I have the same problem.

This is very annoying!

AGB

utowana
2008-04-22, 17:00
Put me in the "me to" category. The new SC is glacially slow on my 4 year old XP system with half gig of ram. So, I switched to the "classic" skin web interface and it runs just fine, with very stable performance. A minor frustration since I liked the look and feel of the new interface, but no biggie. I figured I'd troll looking for posts like this and it would figure itself out eventually.

agbagb
2008-04-22, 17:24
Put me in the "me to" category. The new SC is glacially slow on my 4 year old XP system with half gig of ram. So, I switched to the "classic" skin web interface and it runs just fine, with very stable performance. A minor frustration since I liked the look and feel of the new interface, but no biggie. I figured I'd troll looking for posts like this and it would figure itself out eventually.

Right - but I haven't changed the skin I'm using; not have I changed anything else in either SC or my XP system. Yesterday it worked fine; today it doesn't.

AGB

KeyzerSuze
2008-04-22, 22:34
I seem to be having similar symptons, although they do go away, I am running sc on a linux box. Used to be fine till I tried to add some plugins.

I believe it is got to do with the plugins. I will have to start to track it down soon.

I tried un installing and then re installing but I left config files behind. I think it might be the album work that is chewing up resources.

But having said all that once it settles down it seems to be okay

mherger
2008-04-22, 22:48
> It's just this PC can't seem to summon SqueezeCenter.

Could you please upload server.log? And as you're running Firefox: would
you mind installing Firebug
(https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/1843)? It has a "Net" tab
where you can see all connections made to the server, load times etc. And
you could see the url which does not load. Be warned though: once you've
installed Firebug SC will be _slow_. It's a great tool for debugging web
pages, but make sure you disable/uninstall it once you've solved your
issue.

Michael

mattross
2008-04-23, 00:55
You're not running Kaspersky Anti-Virus or Internet Security are you? I am and currently I'm getting strangeness as well that I've tracked down to the File Anti-Virus part. Disable it and everything goes back to normal.

agbagb
2008-04-23, 04:48
> It's just this PC can't seem to summon SqueezeCenter.

Could you please upload server.log? And as you're running Firefox: would
you mind installing Firebug
(https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/1843)? It has a "Net" tab
where you can see all connections made to the server, load times etc. And
you could see the url which does not load. Be warned though: once you've
installed Firebug SC will be _slow_. It's a great tool for debugging web
pages, but make sure you disable/uninstall it once you've solved your
issue.

Michael

I have to go out of town for a few days, but if the issue hasn't "resolved itself" by the time I return, I'll do all the above and report back.

AGB

moley6knipe
2008-04-23, 05:18
You're not running Kaspersky Anti-Virus or Internet Security are you? I am and currently I'm getting strangeness as well that I've tracked down to the File Anti-Virus part. Disable it and everything goes back to normal.

I run Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0; but I still see these problems if Kasp is not running (Protection Paused mode - I know AV products are never completely off in these modes but I'm not uninstalling it!)

Also, Kasp is set to totally ignore SC7 folders in c:\Program Files and c:\Docs & Settings\Application Data, and I've told it to ignore all SC7 related .exe files. So, as far as I can see, Kasp is ignoring SC7.

It's posible that an update to Kasp has caused this, but I guess that'll be difficult to track down. I had a look at my server.log but nothing out of the ordinary appeared. I'll try again when I get a moment!

agbagb
2008-04-23, 07:04
I have to go out of town for a few days, but if the issue hasn't "resolved itself" by the time I return, I'll do all the above and report back.

AGB

Just before I dash out of the door....... I noticed today a windows error message when I try to open SC. It's something like (apologies for the vagueness...) "Can't find <C: .... Documents & Settings ...... squeezecenter.url>. Then that vanishes, and slowly, slowly the web interface appears, but remains unresponsive.

I can't do more for a while, but is that error message a clue for someone?

AGB

moley6knipe
2008-04-23, 11:39
Ah, this is driving me up the flaming wall now.

I uninstalled SC7. Deleted its folders from ProgramFiles and Application Data. Deleted all IE7 cache. Ran a registry scrub. Rebooted. Fresh download and install of SC7.

During this the SqueezeTray icon hung at "starting squeezecenter" - after the initial setup questions, ie "do you want to use itunes" etc.

Nothing would bring it to life, so run startup options, told it to start as service (no username/password etc - just the one pc with one user with all drives internal) and rebooted. finally got SC7 to start, but STILL the web gui won't open first time.

If I open IE7, go to http://127.0.0.1:9000/ it just hangs with the spinning thing on the green background. Close IE7, reopen and try again and it's sort of working. It hangs the entire PC initially (but then again it always has done) and evenutually it opens the SC7 web gui. It's still not great though, lots of random positioning of bars - ie if I open Albums the grey bar with library stats always appears halfway up the left-pane, even on maximised screen. minimise/maximise repositions it correctly.

I truely, honestly haven't changed anything on SC7 (my settings are all as they were before I reinstalled) - so it must be a fault on my machine, I guess either Kaspersky or IE7. But I haven't changed any settings on those, so I can only think some sort of update has caused it?

What can I do to help? What logging do I turn on at what level? I've attached server.log, but I just tried all of this about 19:20 my time, and there's no entries that match that time in server.log.

I've attached server.log and a jpeg showing my Windows/IE7 ver numbers. Any help appreciated on this, it's truely annoying. On the plus side, my first proper bug in about 8 months of use!

moley6knipe
2008-04-23, 11:42
...although the last few entries look relevant (ie mention of the word "failed"!), but at the wrong time. I assume the time stamped in server.log is what my windows clock (ie the one I see in the task tray bottom-right) is set to?

Phil Leigh
2008-04-23, 11:46
If you have Kaspersky on there, might I respectfully suggest you remove it. I've spent two weekends so far this year rebuilding my friends PC thanks to that POS. AVG is free and better...and doesn't trash your PC or permanently change every file on your PC...

Also, make sure you have IE set up to run javascript.

moley6knipe
2008-04-23, 11:50
He, it could be worse, it used to be McAfee on my old machine!! Seriously, I'm reluctant to take it off (not least coz there's 8 months left on the licence) - and even though that may be the problem it's not always been there, it's only just starting happening. so there must be a change somewhere?!

IE7 is set to run Java. hmm. i'll keep digging!

mherger
2008-04-23, 11:52
> If I open IE7, go to http://127.0.0.1:9000/ it just hangs with the
> spinning thing on the green background.

No loading activity? Do you have JavaScript enabled in your browser? Are
you using some "security" suite disabling suspicious JavaScript?

> Close IE7, reopen and try
> again and it's sort of working. It hangs the entire PC initially (but
> then again it always has done) and evenutually it opens the SC7 web

When looking at the task manager whily your machine is "hanging" - who's
the cpu hog? What's eating your RAM?

> halfway up the left-pane, even on maximised screen. minimise/maximise
> repositions it correctly.

That's a known issue with IE.

> I truely, honestly haven't changed anything on SC7 (my settings are all
> as they were before I reinstalled) - so it must be a fault on my
> machine, I guess either Kaspersky or IE7.

Maybe Kaspersky updated itself?

> I've attached server.log and a jpeg showing my Windows/IE7 ver numbers.

Looks like your antivirus is blocking MySQL. Please configure it so it
doesn't scan *.my* files.

Michael

Phil Leigh
2008-04-23, 11:57
He, it could be worse, it used to be McAfee on my old machine!! Seriously, I'm reluctant to take it off (not least coz there's 8 months left on the licence) - and even though that may be the problem it's not always been there, it's only just starting happening. so there must be a change somewhere?!

IE7 is set to run Java. hmm. i'll keep digging!

OK - just so long as you know about Ka-ky and its rather unusual approach. If your PC ever goes into perpetual reboot or burns out its hard disk...don't say I didn't warn you :o)
(Oh and I agree about Mc-a-fee too ...)
Anyway, I'd try installing Firefox and see if that opens the web gui - nothing ventured, nothing gained. That would help eliminate the browser.

moley6knipe
2008-04-23, 12:40
> If I open IE7, go to http://127.0.0.1:9000/ it just hangs with the
> spinning thing on the green background.

No loading activity? Do you have JavaScript enabled in your browser? Are
you using some "security" suite disabling suspicious JavaScript?

> Close IE7, reopen and try
> again and it's sort of working. It hangs the entire PC initially (but
> then again it always has done) and evenutually it opens the SC7 web

When looking at the task manager whily your machine is "hanging" - who's
the cpu hog? What's eating your RAM?

> halfway up the left-pane, even on maximised screen. minimise/maximise
> repositions it correctly.

That's a known issue with IE.

> I truely, honestly haven't changed anything on SC7 (my settings are all
> as they were before I reinstalled) - so it must be a fault on my
> machine, I guess either Kaspersky or IE7.

Maybe Kaspersky updated itself?

> I've attached server.log and a jpeg showing my Windows/IE7 ver numbers.

Looks like your antivirus is blocking MySQL. Please configure it so it
doesn't scan *.my* files.

Michael

Thanks Michael. javascript is enabled in IE7 (at least, "use java" is ticked in advanced options). I do use Kaspersky, but don't know about javascript being scanned - will check.

I'll check task man when I load it next.

Kasp may have updated, will check logs.

I've excluded the dirs that the .my* files live in, but I'll exclude the files types too. I've already excluded squeezecenter.exe, mysql.exe etc. Scan always completes fine, about 19 mins for 14,000 tracks.

Thanks for the help!

moley6knipe
2008-04-23, 13:12
Right, I've excluded *.my* file-types from Kaspersky. Peak mem. usage was Squeezecenter at 131k. Massive CPU spikes when SC7 loading, about 80% on both cores of a Core2 2.66Ghz.

mherger
2008-04-23, 13:27
> Thanks Michael. javascript is enabled in IE7 (at least, "use java" is
> ticked in advanced options).

That's Java, not JavaScript. But never mind: if you had disabled it, you
couldn't use the skin at all, not even slowly.

Did we take a look at server.log yet?

Michael

MrC
2008-04-23, 15:04
FYI - Kaspersky A/V has a poor track record at abiding by its own settings. You can configure it to ignore certain files or executables, but it does not work reliably.

Its frequent but not-well tested updates cause all sorts of transient problems. One update causes issues, then they disappear with the next. This is especially noted in their Web protection area, where for apparently no good reason, web pages stop loading completely or partially.

Disable both its File AntiVirus and Web Protection and test again. Because Kas caches the network connections, you should close the browser after disabling these features and re-open.

If this finds no relief, uninstall Kaspersky (you can always safely reinstall w/out loss of license), and test again.

moley6knipe
2008-04-23, 16:41
> Thanks Michael. javascript is enabled in IE7 (at least, "use java" is
> ticked in advanced options).

That's Java, not JavaScript. But never mind: if you had disabled it, you
couldn't use the skin at all, not even slowly.

Did we take a look at server.log yet?

Michael

Thanks Michael - server.log was uploaded a few posts back...

moley6knipe
2008-04-23, 16:43
Thanks MrC - I'll look into kaspersky in a little more depth!