PDA

View Full Version : Accelerated audio increment/decrement rate functionality

awy
2008-04-22, 01:46
The current fast-forward/fast-rewind functionality and the new scanner functionality planned for SqueezeCenter 7.1 switch from forward to rewind when the corresponding key is pressed.

Whilst in the SC 7.1 scanner, a single press of FWD/REW will trigger accelerated playback with audio feedback (at normal pitch). The first press of FWD will enter 2x mode, repeated presses will double the rate up to 128x. Pressing REW will immediately switch to 2x backwards. Further presses will increase rewind speed as per fast-forward.

There have been some calls to change this so that pressing REW while in fast-forward should decrement the current fast-forward rate, rather than jumping immediately to 2x rewind. For example, the proposal is that, when playing at 8x fast-forward, a press of REW should change to 4x fast-forward. Similarly for FWD while in fast-rewind mode. Here is a poll to gather opinion on this:

browellm
2008-04-22, 02:19
Can you make it configurable for either and keep everyone happy?

awy
2008-04-22, 02:21
No. Some things should not be configurable. It just gets out of hand.

max.spicer
2008-04-22, 02:55
I initially thought it should definitely be that changing direction decreases the speed. I was also convinced that this was what my Humax PVR does. However, when I checked, I found that the Humax actually goes straight into the opposite scan mode. I'm not yet decided on where to cast my vote, but when I discussed this with my wife, she was fairly on the side of keeping the current behaviour i.e. immediate change in direction.

Max

skind56
2008-04-22, 05:11
What other buttons have an effect on FWD/REW, e.g. 'stop button' stops, 'play button' plays, 'pause' button? So if you wish to slow the FWD/REW process then hit stop/play then FWD/REW etc?

Steve

Skunk
2008-04-22, 05:24
I don't use FF/RW often, but to me it doesn't make sense that pushing RW should continue to FF. I also have trouble seeing why anyone would want to start RW'ing immediately unless they overshoot.

The important thing to me is how easy it is to get out of FF mode, especially with seven steps up to 128x, so I'd like to see the first RW press resume normal speed if in FF mode, and the first FF press resume normal speed if in RW mode as well. Kind of a 'are you sure you want to stop FF'ing and start RW'ing?'. Plus I never know whether to push pause or play to resume, but for some reason think i could remember to push the opposite direction once.

I haven't followed the other thread, and am not sure if there are plans to make the Controller's wheel able to scan songs/change FF speed, but having RW resume play would seem to work well there too. Scroll forward until you reach the speed you want and when you reach the desired point simply scroll backward once.

I'm probably alone on this so my feelings won't be hurt if everyone ignores me.

4mula1
2008-04-22, 05:25
I've found my DVR to be just about perfect in it's execution of this sort of thing. Press FF once and it goes into 2x, again for 3x, and again for 4x. Pressing RW will take it from 4x to 3x and so on. It can be immediately stopped by pressing play or paused or stopped by their respective buttons. This seems intuitive and predictable.

max.spicer
2008-04-22, 05:34
What other buttons have an effect on FWD/REW, e.g. 'stop button' stops, 'play button' plays, 'pause' button? So if you wish to slow the FWD/REW process then hit stop/play then FWD/REW etc?

At the moment if the device is in fast-forward or rewind, the following happens:

play - goes back to normal playback
pause - pauses and cancels ffwd/rewind, so when resumed will be normal playback
stop - stops (and cancels ffwd/rewind)

Actually, I'm not sure about that last one, but that's certainly how it should work if it doesn't already!

Max

max.spicer
2008-04-22, 05:35
At the moment if the device is in fast-forward or rewind, the following happens:

play - goes back to normal playback
pause - pauses and cancels ffwd/rewind, so when resumed will be normal playback
stop - stops (and cancels ffwd/rewind)

Actually, I'm not sure about that last one, but that's certainly how it should work if it doesn't already!

Max

The above only applies to 7.1 - apologies!

Max

consciouspnm
2008-04-22, 07:21
I've found my DVR to be just about perfect in it's execution of this sort of thing. Press FF once and it goes into 2x, again for 3x, and again for 4x. Pressing RW will take it from 4x to 3x and so on. It can be immediately stopped by pressing play or paused or stopped by their respective buttons. This seems intuitive and predictable.

This is the way to do it, the buttons are more 'Speed Up' and 'Slow Down' in a particular direction than FF/REW.

But it's not actually a poll option.

awy
2008-04-22, 07:28
This is the way to do it, the buttons are more 'Speed Up' and 'Slow Down' in a particular direction than FF/REW.

But it's not actually a poll option.

It is, the second option.

funkstar
2008-04-22, 10:54
I'm leaving off voting right now.

I intend installing 7.1 in the next couple of days to play around. I also use MediaPortal as a PVR, I'll have to see what they do and compare :)

Philip Meyer
2008-04-22, 11:37
It should reduce fast-forward speed, rather than slam into reverse.

Who would want to be fast-forwarding super fast and then want to start rewinding? Makes no sense.

Sky got it right when they designed the Sky+ PVR. >> accelerates playback, << slows the rate down. Slow it down further to go into reverse. Play resumes playback, pause stops playback; either of those cancels the acceleration factor (either 0x or 1x speed).

ModelCitizen
2008-04-22, 12:05
I'm probably alone on this so my feelings won't be hurt if everyone ignores me.
OK. So now, on to the important bit...

Surely all this depends upon the rest of the stuff.... ie. how do you stop forwardwind... how do you start rewind... the poll seems to take one position in isolation from all the other concerns around this functionality.

It's a bit like a governent poll.

MC

autopilot
2008-04-23, 02:38
For me, the second option is a bit less logical but ultimately gives much more control.

peterw
2008-04-24, 18:59
Surely all this depends upon the rest of the stuff.... ie. how do you stop forwardwind... how do you start rewind... the poll seems to take one position in isolation from all the other concerns around this functionality.

Press Pause once to stop moving forward, hold Rew to start moving backward. Possibly press Play in the middle to make the reverse movement audible.

I agree with Philip -- start slowing down, don't abruptly change direction.

Alan, thanks for asking for our input.

-Peter

bhaagensen
2008-04-27, 00:02
I'm surprised how little traffic this thread generates. Previous threads indicate many opinions on the behavior of ffwd frew.

Anyway, I voted for the first option. FYI this is also the behavior in mythtv.

zzap
2008-05-04, 16:04
I'd like to see the first RW press resume normal speed if in FF mode [regardless of FF speed, Zzap], and the first FF press resume normal speed if in RW mode as well...Plus I never know whether to push pause or play to resume, but for some reason think i could remember to push the opposite direction once

I like it, count me in! :-D