PDA

View Full Version : Squeezecenter icon not appearing in the notification area

wellington
2008-04-20, 17:37
Hello

I hope someone can help me. I have installed Squezecenter 7.0 on my PC and all went fine.
However I had to reisntall my Vista Home Premium and after that I had of course to reinstall Squezecenter. Now after the new installation Squeezecenter is actually running however it shows up for a very short time in the notification area (1 second) then it disappears. I am therefore unable to access it through the browser.
Can somebody help me please?

Thanks a lot/Regards

Wallman
2008-04-21, 03:18
I'm having the same problem, although I'm using Win XP and SC 7.0.1. Squeezecenter used to show up in the task menu bar, but after the latest update, no more.

mherger
2008-04-21, 03:29
> I'm having the same problem, although I'm using Win XP and SC 7.0.1.
> Squeezecenter used to show up in the task menu bar, but after the
> latest update, no more.

Can you manually start it from the Windows Start menu? If not, can you open a command window, "cd \program files\squeezecenter\" (or wherever your SC is installed) and run SqueezeTray.exe from the command line? Do you see error messages?

--

Michael

Wallman
2008-04-21, 06:30
I'm not at home now, but I'll give these fixes a try tonight. Thanks for the tips.

wellington
2008-04-21, 13:09
Thank you Michael
If I start it from the vista menu, the icons shows up, but immediately disappears.
If I do via the command line, the icon shows up and stays, and if you put the cursor on it it tells you the server is working. But if you right click on it and try to open the browser, nothing happens and the icon immediately disappears.

Thanks/Marco

mherger
2008-04-21, 14:31
> right click on it and try to open the browser, nothing happens and the
> icon immediately disappears.

....and doesn't leave a message in the command window?

--

Michael

wellington
2008-04-21, 14:51
No, it does not show any message at all...
Marco

mherger
2008-04-21, 23:09
> No, it does not show any message at all...

You run squeezetray.exe from the command window, and it returns without any error? You're back on the command prompt afterwards? That's odd. We haven't seen this any more for months. And neither did we change the program itself. Except for the localization. What language are you using?

--

Michael

wellington
2008-04-22, 05:12
Yes, precisely, I run squeezatray.exe from the command window and it returns without any error, (icon showing up on the tray) and I'm back on the command prompt afterwards. I can see it in the list of processes running as well.
Then if you click on the icon and choose to open the server you get a white page and a waiting forever state.
My vista is in italian. I tried 7.01 last build, but it is still the same.
Could run the english one, I do not mind.

I also tried to execute the other exe file in the folder, do not remember the name, but it is the one who gives the choice to start as a server or as an application. I choose "application" and the icon appears on the tray, and even the writing "starting" but just for one second, then it terminates while at the same time a command window opens up and close, although too fast to see what's written in the window.

Grazie/Marco

wellington
2008-04-22, 13:15
Done the english install but no progress.
I've opened up the process list and I can see:

SQUEEZE^1.EXE running at 50% (it is actualy written in caps letter!)
Scanner running at 22%
MySql, at 3%

Something is actually running but the start page wont open.
I've reconnected the SB3 I have, it is looking for the server but cannot connect.

Maybe something went wrong with permissions and Squeezecenter cannot create one or more files?

I then tried to run "squeezecenter" from the "server" folder.
It tries to run MySQL as a server and states it has to be run as application.

After 5 seconds it tries to find "update.slimserver.com" but DNS fails
It tries to find other sites, but DNS is always failing.

Then it retries, I think forever.
But my DNS for firefox and IE do work

Thanks/Marco

wellington
2008-04-24, 13:33
Well...I installed Vista from scratch.
Now it works.

Thanks again for helping.

Marco