PDA

View Full Version : Duet and Homeplug - first impressions

morris_minor
2008-04-20, 10:49
Have just installed a Duet - SBR in the kitchen. Wireless strength there is minimal, plus microwave pollution etc, so a wired solution was the only option. And some kind of homeplug device was the only way I could do this.

Thanks to another post - which I can't find now - I was alerted to 4-port powerline switches from Maplin selling at less than 20 each - half the price of single "wall wart" devices.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=219368&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=homeplug&doy=20m4

The one at the server end is plugged into a 4-way mains strip, at the SBR end it's directly into the wall socket. At first there was dropout after a minute or so of playing. So I thought I'd just try wireless - and this was predictably worse. But going back to the powerline switch, all seems well now, for some reason. It's been playing continuously for over five hours without dropout. (My next move had been to plug the server end switch directly into a socket - but that would have involved a lot of sweat!).

As far as the kit is concerned - the controller is a pretty neat item but I agree with other posts complaining about the scroll wheel. It needs a convex, not concave surface, and also needs some texture rather than being smooth. Moving a single step up or down needs care, as it's really easy to overshoot. But generally I'm really pleased with the functionality. The high gloss finish looks good but shows finger marks very easily. I'd also like the charging cradle (or SBC) to indicate that charging is taking place. Mobile phones, dect phones etc have a little charging icon on the screen. It's not a big issue - but the first time I charged it I didn't know if it was working until I turned the controller on.

What the controller does make easy is internet radio - an area of SB I'd so far neglected. Last night I was surfing the airwaves on the SB3 from my armchair. Great!

Picture here:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=293683&postcount=834

denmennis
2008-05-06, 08:07
I have had the Duet now for about 6 weeks and have gone through every machination that I could think of to get it to work. Although it connected to my wireless network out of the box, the connection was unstable and I could only stream MP3 files during the limited time that it was on.

After buying (and returning) several pieces of networking hardware, and after a suggestion from a forum member I tried Actiontec homeplug adapters. First try, no go. Got ready to send these back. I decided to give them another try. I'm sure I took a different route with the controller during set-up, but the receiver did connect and now I have a solid connection. I am now able to stream uncompressed files without interruption, stutter and so far without interference. (I haven't tried while the washing machine or dishwasher are on yet). I was skeptical about the whole thing but when I turned the music on, I was absolutely stunned.

I simply have the adapters set up in bridge mode and it does appear that I am crossing a circuit breaker which I thought would give me problems.

After my experience, I think that the learning curve in using the controller is a bit long for a non technie like myself. It took a lot of trial and error before I figured things out.

If anyone else out there is still having issues with their wireless connectivity, I would suggest giving homeplug adapters a try. They need no configuration when used in bridge mode.

dj

morris_minor
2008-05-07, 01:10
I am now able to stream uncompressed files without interruption, stutter and so far without interference. (I haven't tried while the washing machine or dishwasher are on yet). I was skeptical about the whole thing but when I turned the music on, I was absolutely stunned.

I simply have the adapters set up in bridge mode and it does appear that I am crossing a circuit breaker which I thought would give me problems.

After my experience, I think that the learning curve in using the controller is a bit long for a non technie like myself. It took a lot of trial and error before I figured things out.

If anyone else out there is still having issues with their wireless connectivity, I would suggest giving homeplug adapters a try. They need no configuration when used in bridge mode.

dj
My Maplin switches worked without configuration as well; just plugged one into my router, the other into the SBR. All works great - even sitting next to a switched-on microwave.

But, as can be seen from other threads (eg. http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=47302), non-techie users can, and sometimes do, have problems.