PDA

View Full Version : Music Cuts Out - Network Problem?

wyrob1
2008-04-20, 09:24
I have been using my squeezebox3 happily for over a year and recently added a Duet for other rooms.
Everything was working fine, but just recently the performance has dropped off significantly - to the extent that when a song starts, it plays a few seconds, then drops off/hangs, then starts again. This can happen a few times a song.

I expect this may be something to do with the network, but i have made no changes to the settings recently. The screen does not say it is buffering, it looks like the server has hung. Would appreciate some help in where i can look to identify what is going on.

- It happens whether or not the squeezebo/duet are synced.
- network strength shows around 30-40% for each unit in the settings tab
- There are other wireless networks in the area, and have seen a previous thread that this may cause problems. But they have not changed recently
- I have installed windows Onecare recently, but it is set up to allow squeezecentre through the firewall. Not sure if this can be the problem.

Any clues on where to start appreciated.

wyrob1
2008-04-21, 14:02
Bump, sorry.
anyone have any top tips to look into this one.
thanks

Brian Ritchie
2008-04-22, 16:00
30-40% is pretty low. I'm having sync problems at higher strengths than this, and I wouldn't be surprised to find non-sync problems at such low strengths. (I'm serving FLAC mainly; lower bitrates would probably do better.)

What happens when one or other player is turned off? Does the other still stutter? Does signal strength change (not sure it should)? Can you test with one or both players wired rather than wireless? (And is your server wired to the router, or can it be?)

It's unlikely to be a firewall issue - that would just stop things dead. I've never heard of "Windows Onecare", and am not sure I ever want to! (*) Is there a chance that it's causing something to run on your server frequently enough to degrade its performance? (Wherever Windows is involved, this seems all too likely...) Can it be turned off / disabled / deleted forever / replaced by a decent OS :-) to see if things improve?

See this thread (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=45679) for a discussion of my network/sync problems.

-- Brian

(*) Maybe it's called something else in the UK, since here it would be open to abuse; as in, "Bill Gates is a real Windows Onecare" :-)

mattross
2008-04-23, 01:07
Up until last night I had an issue where I would get pops, clicks, stuttering and random stops on my music. I first thought it was my newly re-encoded FLAC files but it turns out my new motherboard's network card has a settings called 'Offload TCP_LargeSend' that was enabled by default. Through a process of elimination and hair loss disabling this setting has resolved my issue.

Can't find much on what the setting does apart from this Microsoft technical article: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/netdrv_up.mspx#EDD

Might be worth having a look to see if your card has this option.

consciouspnm
2008-04-23, 01:59
...it turns out my new motherboard's network card has a settings called 'Offload TCP_LargeSend' that was enabled by default. Through a process of elimination and hair loss disabling this setting has resolved my issue.

Anyone know what this setting does, it's enabled on my server as well and I've got pops and click problems as well. I've disabled it now and will see if it fixes it.

Siduhe
2008-04-23, 02:22
Anyone know what this setting does, it's enabled on my server as well and I've got pops and click problems as well. I've disabled it now and will see if it fixes it.

It breaks down large groups of data sent over a network into smaller segments that pass through all the network elements between the source and destination - to reduce CPU load. Same as TCP Segmentation Offload. When you are trying to stream a constant flow of high bitrate files, my understand is that you don't want anything trying to "manage" the data - it's why I get choppy playback on FLACs if I enable QoS on my router for example.