PDA

View Full Version : Question about navigating the menus on SB3

ppmoore
2008-04-20, 07:22
Hello,

I've been using SB3 for about two months, and in general I've benn very happy with it.

I have three questions about the menu structure on the device.

- If I want to play several albums from the same artist, I navigate using Browse->Artist->Album and play in the usual manner. However, when I want to play the next album, the device changes to the "Playing Now" menu item, and I have to renavigate using Browse->Artist->Album. It is possible to directly select other album from the same artist, for example by using the up/down arrow keys?

- My wife doesn't like using the device because she finds the hierarchical menu too complex. For example, to play a radio station, she has to select Plugins->AlienBBC->RTE->Radio1. Is it possible to remove unused menu items on the top level, and to move submenu items to the top level? Also, similar to the first point above, when playing a radio station it would be nice to be able to select another radio station by using the up/down arrow keys.

- My wife likes to listen repeatedly to several albums. Is it possible to add top-level menu items, for example "Wife's music" or "Party music", that would link to pre-selected lists of albums? The "Favorites" menu item is not quite the same thing.

I tried searching the forums using Playing Now as keywords, but couldn't find anything useful.

Many thanks,
Paul

radish
2008-04-20, 09:53
- If I want to play several albums from the same artist, I navigate using Browse->Artist->Album and play in the usual manner. However, when I want to play the next album, the device changes to the "Playing Now" menu item, and I have to renavigate using Browse->Artist->Album.

If you set the playing screen saver to Now Playing (Jump back on wake) you won't have to re-navigate, it'll go back to where you last were.

It is possible to directly select other album from the same artist, for example by using the up/down arrow keys?

From Now Playing press right, scroll down to Artist, then press right again to see everything by that artist (at least that's how it should work, seems to be behaving a bit funny on my server right now).

Of course if you know you're going to be listening to several albums at the outset, just add them all to the playlist at once using Add.

Is it possible to remove unused menu items on the top level, and to move submenu items to the top level?

You can remove menu entries you don't want, and promote some of the sub menus (such as browse modes and most plugins) but it's not 100% customizable. See Settings/Players/Menus.

- My wife likes to listen repeatedly to several albums. Is it possible to add top-level menu items, for example "Wife's music" or "Party music", that would link to pre-selected lists of albums? The "Favorites" menu item is not quite the same thing.

Try the Custom Browse plugin (http://wiki.erland.homeip.net/index.php/Category:SlimServer).

ppmoore
2008-04-20, 16:23
Thanks Radish for the reply.

I didn't know that while playing an album, the SB maintains the current Browse->Artist->Album state context.

I rechecked, and I noticed that for the first minute or so, the up/down arrow keys do work, and it is possible to select the next album directly from the current context. After that, it reverts to the "Now Playing" context, and to select another album, it is necessary to use the Browse->Artist->Album menu navigation.

I think the problem is the absence of a Stop key on the remote. If stopped, it should be possible to navigate directly from the current context, without having to navigate from the top-level menu.

Thanks for the tip about the Custom Browse plugin.

Paul

radish
2008-04-20, 17:15
I rechecked, and I noticed that for the first minute or so, the up/down arrow keys do work, and it is possible to select the next album directly from the current context. After that, it reverts to the "Now Playing" context, and to select another album, it is necessary to use the Browse->Artist->Album menu navigation.

It shouldn't if you set it to jump back on wake as I suggested.

ppmoore
2008-04-21, 06:05
Thanks Radish.

The "jump back on wake" fixed it. I thought it was something to do with "wake on LAN".

Thanks again,
Paul

radish
2008-04-21, 06:09
It isn't the most obviously named option :) Glad you got it working.

kesey
2008-04-21, 08:53
- My wife doesn't like using the device because she finds the hierarchical menu too complex. For example, to play a radio station, she has to select Plugins->AlienBBC->RTE->Radio1. Is it possible to remove unused menu items on the top level, and to move submenu items to the top level? Also, similar to the first point above, when playing a radio station it would be nice to be able to select another radio station by using the up/down arrow keys.

Paul

Paul,

The easiest way I've found to go back to e.g. a radio station (RTE or whatever) once you have found and tuned in to it, is to save it as a Favourite. Then the next time you want to go back to the station, just click on Favourites and scroll up or down your list.

If you haven't listened to John Kelly on RTE Lyric FM during the afternoons, give him a try. His programme is great.
regards,

kesey