PDA

View Full Version : Vista or Trend Micro Firewall Blocking Squeezecenter

stevie
2008-04-19, 21:58
Anyone else having issues running Squeezecenter on Vista Ultimate. I have Trend Micro Internet Security 14. When I turm that off, I can ren Squeezecenter but that leaves my PC vulnerable.
Scrap Trend Micro PC Cillin?

mherger
2008-04-20, 23:11
> Anyone else having issues running Squeezecenter on Vista Ultimate. I
> have Trend Micro Internet Security 14. When I turm that off, I can ren
> Squeezecenter but that leaves my PC vulnerable.

Do you see any message logged in SC's server.log telling us what in the AV
product might be acting up?

Michael

radish
2008-04-21, 06:08
Is it not possible to add an exception for squeezecenter?

stevie
2008-04-29, 21:54
After trying for days, I am ready to throw my Squeezebox in the garbage and go back to burning CD's. I want to play high quality lossless music through my good amp and seakers using squeezebox.
Under Windows XP and Slimserver 6.5 everything was great.
Got a new PC with Vista Ultimate and decided to get the latest greatest version of Squeezecenter. Since then I have barely heard any music and spent countless hours getting nowhere.

Logitech has got to be able to support people who want to run Squeezecenter on Vista. Maybe Vista is a pig but it's still an important pig and most new computers are shipping with it - especially home systems where people are likely to use a Squeezebox or Transporter.

I managed to get the pig Squeezecenter to scan my music on my Buffalo NAS which was a lot more cumbersome than it should have been for a mapped network drive.

Now I can get Squeezecenter to run only if I diasble Trend Micro Internet Security 14. Frankly, I am just not willing to run my computer without virus protection just to use my Squeezebox.

Help.

I already got rid of my Transporter since I was so frustrated and soon I will do the same with Squeezebox.

mherger
2008-04-29, 22:35
> Now I can get Squeezecenter to run only if I diasble Trend Micro
> Internet Security 14. Frankly, I am just not willing to run my computer
> without virus protection just to use my Squeezebox.

And you shouldn't. Did you try configuring your AV product to ignore *.my*
files? I asked your for log files, but you didn't answer. Hard for us to
help you without any more information.

Michael

radish
2008-04-30, 05:58
Logitech has got to be able to support people who want to run Squeezecenter on Vista.
And they do. Did you actually call them for help? You have had a number of suggestions here, this is typically a pretty simple thing to fix, but you haven't answered anyone's questions.

roll - gybe
2008-04-30, 08:01
they need to have Vista issues like these in the wiki. There are some common problems out there.

it is so ridiculous. if i weren't totally commited to the product at this point, i wouldn't spend all this time trying to get it to work with Vista.

radish
2008-04-30, 08:08
The wiki is a community resource, NOT a formal support channel. Likewise this forum.

Official technical support is available via phone or email, details at the bottom of this page: http://www.slimdevices.com/su_tech.html

aweitzner
2008-04-30, 10:03
I had the same problem. I bought a new PC from Dell to act as a media server. It too came with Trend Micro PC Cillin. It was not a SqueezeCenter issue, per se since I could not ping the SqueezeCenter machine from another PC with PC Cillin enabled. I turned off PC Cillin and all worked fine (as I had no plans to use Trends Micro after the trial ran out anyway). Sorry to say this is not a real answer as I did not spend any time debugging PC Cillin's options. I am not sure why an anti-virus program would block IP internet traffic

I switched to the free dowload of Norton Anti-Virus in GooglePack but that only runs on-demand unless you pay Norton a yearly fee.

Andy

roll - gybe
2008-04-30, 10:22
sorry, guess i've been taken to school.

stevie
2008-06-19, 21:37
> Anyone else having issues running Squeezecenter on Vista Ultimate. I
> have Trend Micro Internet Security 14. When I turm that off, I can ren
> Squeezecenter but that leaves my PC vulnerable.

Do you see any message logged in SC's server.log telling us what in the AV
product might be acting up?

Michael

I can't find such a file. Where do I look? When I ask Vista to look for *.log it does not find any files.

stevie
2008-06-19, 21:46
> Now I can get Squeezecenter to run only if I diasble Trend Micro
> Internet Security 14. Frankly, I am just not willing to run my computer
> without virus protection just to use my Squeezebox.

And you shouldn't. Did you try configuring your AV product to ignore *.my*

Michael

I am using Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security and I do not have a clue how I would do this. Where? Firewall? Seems if I turn off the firewall altogether it works.
I cannot give you .log files since there do not seem to be any or I do not know where to look.

mherger
2008-06-19, 22:03
> I can't find such a file. Where do I look? When I ask Vista to look for
> *.log it does not find any files.

It's in the (hidden) c:\programdata folder. You can enter that path
manually in Explorer.

Michael

Ramage
2008-06-19, 23:28
they need to have Vista issues like these in the wiki. There are some common problems out there.

it is so ridiculous. if i weren't totally commited to the product at this point, i wouldn't spend all this time trying to get it to work with Vista.

I have had squeezecenter running on Vista Ultimate for quite a time and have had no issues with any of the versions from 6.5 to 7.1.

I use Norton Internet Security for AV and FW.

This looks like a Trend Micro Internet Security issue. You should follow the advice given by Michael:

Did you try configuring your AV product to ignore *.my*