PDA

View Full Version : SqueezeCenter on server with iTunes as player

Juggler
2008-04-18, 11:54
My current set-up is SqueezeCenter running on Ubuntu on a server. My question is: is it possible to not only use iTunes as a player (open stream http://<ip>:9000/stream.mp3), but to "control" what the server is streaming to iTunes via the iTunes interface?

i.e. "subscribe" to the stream. "browse" the music library (which is actually located on my server). Play as selected?

aubuti
2008-04-18, 12:02
as far as I know there is no way to control SqueezeCenter with iTunes. You can stream to iTunes as you are doing, and you can have SC update its info from your iTunes library, but you can't control it via iTunes. iTunes doesn't speak SC's protocols.

Juggler
2008-04-18, 12:10
That's too bad. II guess I'm still looking for some sort of mt-daapd integration with SqueezeCenter. I would much prefer to use only one media center for all audio serving.

aubuti
2008-04-18, 12:48
Why not just use SqueezeCenter with a SqueezeBox and/or SoftSqueeze? Or if you are completely wedded to iTunes, use the Airport Express arrangement instead.

Juggler
2008-04-19, 06:20
I'm looking to have only one music library that is located on a server. I could map iTunes via MacFUSE/SSH directly, however I keep hoping there would be some sort of media server protocol built in to SqueezeCenter.

radish
2008-04-19, 08:02
I'm looking to have only one music library that is located on a server.
Sure, that's not a problem. Just point iTunes and SC to the same set of files.

I keep hoping there would be some sort of media server protocol built in to SqueezeCenter.
There is, it's called slimproto and it's what SC uses to talk to squeezeboxes. SC is a media server, iTunes just doesn't understand the protocol.