PDA

View Full Version : Possible to use 2 different computers as music sources?

fredmeissner
2008-04-18, 11:11
I don't know a whole lot about the SlimServer network setup, but I was wondering it there is some way to use 2 different computers as sources for music, because we currently have the SlimServer setup to work with one our servers, and once and a while I want to play my own music collection over our good stereo system without having to copy my music onto the server. Is there a way to do this?

iPhone
2008-04-18, 11:34
we currently have the SlimServer setup to work with one our servers, and once and a while I want to play my own music collection over our good stereo system without having to copy my music onto the server. Is there a way to do this?

Could you give us some more system details so we can answer your question properly? As an example, do you have a wireless network in your home that the server is on? Or can you get ethernet to your router and second SB3. And I am not saying you need two SB3s, because you can always move it between the two places but as an example I have my Transporter in my listening room, Duet in the living room, an SB3 in the bedroom, an SB3 in the den, and what I call my mobile SB3 that I move between the shop, garage, outside deck, or anywhere I need music but do not have an SB3 already setup.

You could use two computers but why would you? It is easier to buy a wireless router, connect it to your server, and either move the SB3 from location to location within range of your WLAN or buy multiple SB3s or buy a Duet with multiple SBRs. The server can easily feed music to 10 or more Squeezebox devices over a wireless LAN while even playing different music on each player.

sc53
2008-04-18, 12:30
If you click back to Network Setup, one of the steps allows you to select your music streaming source. I can select either my PC or my Powerbook on that screen, depending on which music collection I want to hear.

Jakeman
2008-04-18, 13:40
I currently use 3 computers as music servers. You have to install SC on all three and then configure Duet. Its easy to designate which server you want to stream from the menu on the remote.