PDA

View Full Version : Playing Audible Books

Ebbydo
2008-04-18, 06:46
I'd like to be able to play my Audible. com audible books via/through the Squeezebox hardware/system. Audible makes/has accommodations with various vendors to allow this using MP3 players, PDAs, PCs, Windows Media Player, etc.

I hope Logitech can make some accommodation with Audible to permit this.

Hopefuly this will be of intrest to other members of this group?

autopilot
2008-04-18, 06:54
They use microsofts PlaysForSure DRM don't they?

pippin
2008-04-18, 12:29
They use microsofts PlaysForSure DRM don't they?

Yes. It's a mess. Screws up your whole system. I don't buy stuff with them anymore for exactly that reason.

Zaragon
2008-04-19, 05:41
I put my audible books onto CD so I can listen to them in the car. I don't have any problem playing them through a squeezebox.

dean
2008-04-19, 07:08
Actually, Audible has their own DRM system which appears to be less, um, onerous than others I've seen.

If you are interested in Audible support, please comment and vote on this bug:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2384

sk33ve
2008-09-23, 08:45
Just wondering if anyone had done any further investigation into this, only bumped into the bug yesterday. Audible support would be a fantastic addition I think, especially including support for files that contain a bookmark like .aa files.

I'm happy to help out where possible in getting it working also.

Goodsounds
2008-09-23, 09:07
Just wondering if anyone had done any further investigation into this, only bumped into the bug yesterday. Audible support would be a fantastic addition I think, especially including support for files that contain a bookmark like .aa files.

I'm happy to help out where possible in getting it working also.

There are at least a few ways to get the sound to your boxes. The quickest would be to use the Wave Input plugin - it's a soundboard capture thing. You'd play the audible file on your PC using normal Audible method, WaveInput snags the sound and passes it to SC. But the control would be at your PC, for whatever the software is that plays the Audible file.

The second choice is a bit more time consuming, but also works. Google around and you'll get some ideas on what to do, using free software.

sk33ve
2008-09-23, 09:14
Yeah, I know there are "ways and means", I use a mechanism now to get them transferred, it is very far from ideal though, both in a time manner, and also useability.
Proper support would be a huuuuuge improvement.