PDA

View Full Version : Sudden drop in Network Performance

Andersen09
2008-04-16, 15:44
My SB3 suddenly started to behave strange: It is rebooting as well as making click noises (from rebooting) and being super slow.

I have noticed that the Network Test is now very poor - used to be 4 Mbps before any packets were lost, now it can not event keep 100% at the lowest rate.

I have not changed anything else and my coputers in the house are running perfectly on wireless.

Is my SB3 broken??

Details:
- Access point make: Netopia
- Problems with SqueezeCenter above 128kbps
- SqueezeCenter 7.0

Thanks
Jesper

CatBus
2008-04-16, 16:28
Test it wired before doing anything else. If it behaves fine wired, then chances are it's fine and at the very worst its wireless network hardware is flaky.

My guess is one of your neighbors just got a new draft-N router and is clobbering your network. Computers can cope with surprisingly spotty wireless connections, but SB3s do not. Use NetStumbler to find out what sort of wireless interference you're contending with.

Andersen09
2008-04-17, 01:34
Thanks for the reply!

This morning my SB3 behaved as nothing had happened. Up to 3Mbps at 100% and only 4Bbps dropping to 95%

With Netstumbler I see three networks including my own at -52dBm (Channel 1) and the two others at -70 (Channel 6) and -90 dBm (Channel 11)

Anyway, do not now yet how to use Netstumbler so will do a bit Google search and see what it brings. As an example ti detects my network as being WEP encrypted and in fact it is WPA...

Right now I am just waiting for the problem to return, so any advice on how to test it when it comes back would be very helpful to me.

Thanks
Br Jesper

CatBus
2008-04-17, 08:25
Wireless networking--the joy of unregulated spectrum!

You've got 2 foreign networks interfering on channel 1, one at 6 and one at 11. That means any channel you choose will get some interference. If the problem persists, I would switch my network to channel 11 and see if that improves things. You could also see if you can figure out which direction the various networks are (based on changes in signal strength), and relocate your equipment based on what you find. Or just put up a big metal shield on that side of your house ;)

You could also do some general stuff to improve your network condition. Move your router to a central location that is high up off the ground, fiddle with antenna direction, consider buying a higher gain antenna, or even a directional antenna if that's applicable to your situation. Check for things that may interfere with the wireless signal between your WAP and SB3 (metal air ducts, microwave ovens), and move things around. Throw out any old 2.4GHz cordless phones you may have (and throw out your neighbor's too if they'll let you!)

In your situation, I'd probably seriously consider running Cat5e to all needed locations--it's the only way to be absolutely sure this will never happen again.

pfarrell
2008-04-17, 08:44
CatBus wrote:
> Wireless networking--the joy of unregulated spectrum!

Shhhh, don't tell anyone.
You left out that since it is unregulated, more stuff is invented all
the time, adding cruft to the airwaves.

> In your situation, I'd probably seriously consider running Cat5e to all
> needed locations--it's the only way to be absolutely sure this will
> never happen again.

I did it a while ago, so it was just Cat5. But when you really need
networking to work, nothing beats copper.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Andersen09
2008-04-18, 03:51
Wireless networking--the joy of unregulated spectrum!
You've got 2 foreign networks interfering on channel 1, one at 6 and one at 11. That means any channel you choose will get some interference. If the problem persists, I would switch my network to channel 11 and see if that improves things. You could also see if you can figure out which direction the various networks are (based on changes in signal strength), and relocate your equipment based on what you find. Or just put up a big metal shield on that side of your house ;)

Not sure I get this completely, the networks at 6 and 11 interferes with mine at 1? I thought the whole idea of channels would be to avoid interference... Anyway, I tried switching it to 11 and let's see what happens. This morning everything cluttered up again (even the laptops) for like 5-10 minutes and then everything was fine (this was still running at channel 1)

Cobber is not an option as the WAF of this is much much lower than wireless

Sike
2008-04-18, 04:06
For years of reading about wireless and using it, the only "real" channels are 1, 6 and 11 which don't interfere with each other. I would stick with channel 1 and make sure that your netopia (bluewin?) routers antenna is not right up next to the wall with in a metal bookshelf..

CatBus
2008-04-18, 16:33
Sorry, I interpreted "I see three networks including my own at -52dBm (Channel 1)" as meaning there were three networks all operating on channel 1, and two ADDITIONAL networks on the other channels. Now that I re-read, you probably meant that you saw three TOTAL networks, and only one (your own) was on channel 1.

If that's the case, channel 1 is indeed your best bet. The rest of my post still goes ;)