PDA

View Full Version : Controller Backgrounds

FredFredrickson
2008-04-15, 21:48
Well, this plugin (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=44675&highlight=wallpaper) (post #5) works great so far to change backgrounds on the controller- thought I'd share the few backgrounds I threw together for my controller. Hope somebody else finds use for these.

FredFredrickson
2008-04-15, 21:49
And More...

PLynas
2008-04-16, 01:18
Nice post, those backgrounds work pretty well. Thought i would share some of my own. First two are from Japan, next two are Yellowstone/Grand Tetons in the US.

PLynas
2008-04-16, 01:20
Here's some from South Africa for the animal lovers amongst us.

kidstypike
2008-04-16, 02:46
Into which folder should I put these pictures? (Windows XP OS)

Many thanks.

Kidstypike

PLynas
2008-04-16, 02:59
It doesn't matter where you put them on your PC, you need to do the following to change the backgrounds on your controller.

1. Extract the JiveExtras.zip in this thread to your Squeezecenter plugins folder on your PC. http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=44675

2. In Squeezecenter go to Settings, then Plugins and ensure that customize controller is enabled (you might need to close and restart Squeezecenter first to see this).

3. Click on settings for that plugin and then simply click Browse and add your chosen pictures in there. After a short delay they will then be available to select on the controller with all of the existing backgrounds.

kidstypike
2008-04-16, 03:55
It doesn't matter where you put them on your PC, you need to do the following to change the backgrounds on your controller.

1. Extract the JiveExtras.zip in this thread to your Squeezecenter plugins folder on your PC. http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=44675

2. In Squeezecenter go to Settings, then Plugins and ensure that customize controller is enabled (you might need to close and restart Squeezecenter first to see this).

3. Click on settings for that plugin and then simply click Browse and add your chosen pictures in there. After a short delay they will then be available to select on the controller with all of the existing backgrounds.

Thanks for your help, however... I cannot get this to work.
I've downloaded and installed the most recent nightly of SC7.
I've downloaded and extracted the plugin to C\Program Files\SqueezeCenter\server\Plugins\JiveExtras.
I've stopped and restarted SC7 many times.
But in SqueezeCenter I cannot see under Settings > Plugins, anything that relates to "customize controller"

Any thoughts?

kidstypike

PLynas
2008-04-16, 04:04
Mine took a while to appear despite restarting so it is possible it may be the same for you. If not, hopefully somebody more technical than myself can help you out. Any ideas anyone?

kidstypike
2008-04-16, 04:31
Mine took a while to appear despite restarting so it is possible it may be the same for you. If not, hopefully somebody more technical than myself can help you out. Any ideas anyone?

Hmm ... well, thanks for your help, I'll just sit here and wait for it to appear. ...... Nothing yet ..... Still nothing ..... It's like waiting for a Duet! :)

kidstypike

FredFredrickson
2008-04-16, 06:13
Yeah, it's not under plugins. Tricky tricky!!

In SqueezeCenter's Settings Panel, you'll go to : Advanced

Then in the drop down (That by default has "Formatting" selected) you'll choose "Customize Controller"

Then add your backgrounds. Within a few minutes, the backgrounds appear in your controllers list- it seems without any other work- no other restarts neccessary.

kidstypike
2008-04-16, 07:03
Yeah, it's not under plugins. Tricky tricky!!

In SqueezeCenter's Settings Panel, you'll go to : Advanced

Then in the drop down (That by default has "Formatting" selected) you'll choose "Customize Controller"

Then add your backgrounds. Within a few minutes, the backgrounds appear in your controllers list- it seems without any other work- no other restarts neccessary.

Well thanks for that, hovever ..... I went to Settings > Advanced > Drop down, only to find no sign of "Customize Controller".

Can someone check the Zip file 'JiveExtras', I seem to have a single file of 4.5 KB with no extension, is this correct?

kidstypike

Siduhe
2008-04-16, 07:23
Can someone check the Zip file 'JiveExtras', I seem to have a single file of 4.5 KB with no extension, is this correct?

kidstypike

No - you should have a folder structure and a few more files than that. Are you downloading using IE as your browser? If so, try Firefox or Opera - should sort it out for you (I just downloaded using IE and see the same single file as you, if I redownload in Firefox, it is as it should be).

kidstypike
2008-04-16, 07:47
No - you should have a folder structure and a few more files than that. Are you downloading using IE as your browser? If so, try Firefox or Opera - should sort it out for you (I just downloaded using IE and see the same single file as you, if I redownload in Firefox, it is as it should be).

Ah, well why didn't you say so before? causing me all this anguish and concern! ;)

Used Firefox to download the Zip file, all is now serene. It's really quite simple when you have the right stuff to play with, thanks to all for your help with this.

kidstypike

Triode
2008-04-16, 14:08
Here's a slightly updated plugin for this. With tomorrow's nightly version of SqueezeCenter 7.0.1 you should be able to paste the URLs from for the attachements to this page into the URL box - this will mean that SqueezeCenter does not need to store the images itself, it just stores the url and the remote gets them direct.

As before this is work in progress, but I hope something based on it will be included with 7.1

funkstar
2008-04-17, 03:25
this will mean that SqueezeCenter does not need to store the images itself, it just stores the url and the remote gets them direct.
How about creating a Wiki page with all the backgrounds on it?

Then the plugin could then be expanded to parse the wiki page and present a live view of all the backgrounds available :)

Triode
2008-04-17, 04:28
How about creating a Wiki page with all the backgrounds on it?

Then the plugin could then be expanded to parse the wiki page and present a live view of all the backgrounds available :)

Something like that would definately be possible - we need to understand how the new wiki will support this. One of the current limitations is that the controller code downloads all files to its flash and then displays them - this probably needs to be changed if we are going to support browsing lots of images as it will overflow the flash..

Enoch Soames
2008-04-17, 04:56
Sorry for the dumb question, but do I need to have 7.0.1 installed in order to use this plugin? Or can it be used with 7 as well?

Great idea, by the way. Props are definitely in order.

Triode
2008-04-17, 05:13
For 7.0 I believe it will work, but you will need to save the images locally on your server and then use the plugin to select the images from your local disk. (7.0.1 should avoid this as you can just put the url of the images into the URL form on the settings page)

FredFredrickson
2008-04-17, 06:43
This brings up another question- is the WIKI going to be information ? Or is the wiki going to also be a file library for what ever we feel like? Because if it's going to include files, then there's no reason we shouldn't still put together a wiki with files like backgrounds...

FredFredrickson
2008-04-17, 06:48
Something like that would definately be possible - we need to understand how the new wiki will support this. One of the current limitations is that the controller code downloads all files to its flash and then displays them - this probably needs to be changed if we are going to support browsing lots of images as it will overflow the flash..

Here's an idea- make the plugin in SqueezeCenter scan the wiki and display all the pictures, but you can only select up to 8- which the controller gets.

funkstar
2008-04-18, 03:14
The wiki can take pictures as attachments, so that can be used as a file store as well.

Here's an idea- make the plugin in SqueezeCenter scan the wiki and display all the pictures, but you can only select up to 8- which the controller gets.
Thats what I was thinking :)

carp
2008-04-20, 13:56
Small issue: If the filename of a picture contains umlauts ("" - I don't know if you can see them when using a non-german environment), the Duet controller will show them but will not use them.

funkstar
2008-04-20, 14:52
Small issue: If the filename of a picture contains umlauts ("" - I don't know if you can see them when using a non-german environment), the Duet controller will show them but will not use them.
I'd file a bug in http://bugs.slimdevices.com. It might be a little obscure but could cause frustration for others.