PDA

View Full Version : Changing SB Receiver from wireless to ethernet

cliveb
2008-04-13, 11:19
I had my Squeezebox Receiver set up via wireless while I was doing various experiments. I now want to deploy it in its final position, and connect it by ethernet.

I naively assumed that all I needed to do was plug in an ethernet cable, hold the front button to reset it, and when going through the setup procedure it would ask whether I wanted to go wireless or ethernet. But no: it just re-connected to the wireless network without asking me. So then I tried power-cycling the Receiver. Interestingly, the ethernet port doesn't show any lights, and the switch that it's plugged into doesn't register any connection. I have tried a different ethernet cable in case the cable was faulty (one I know works, because it's usually used for a PC), but that was the same.

I vaguely remember something about a "Forget This Player" option somewhere, and thought perhaps that's what is needed. But I cannot find it anywhere in SC7.0 or on the Controller's menus.

Any ideas?

aubuti
2008-04-13, 11:54
I'm pretty sure that "Forget this player" doesn't exist in SC7, though I forget the reason. Is this a purchased SBR or one from the beta program? There was a batch of beta SBRs that had bad ethernet jacks, and the lack of lights at the SBR ethernet port and the router would be consistent with that.

cliveb
2008-04-13, 12:04
I'm pretty sure that "Forget this player" doesn't exist in SC7, though I forget the reason.
It definitely existed in earlier releases of SC7.0, because I've just found an old thread where I posted that I had used it! But it seems to have disappeared now - or at least I can't find it.

Is this a purchased SBR or one from the beta program? There was a batch of beta SBRs that had bad ethernet jacks, and the lack of lights at the SBR ethernet port and the router would be consistent with that.
It's from the beta program, but I have definitely had it running on ethernet in the past. I suppose it's possible that in the meantime the ethernet port has died, but that seems unlikely.

Is there an official sequence of events to follow to change from wireless to ethernet? If so, please can someone describe it so that I can follow exactly the right steps. (I'm hoping it doesn't involve a factory reset of the Controller: it takes me quite a long time to reset everything after doing one of those).

(If it's relevant, the Receiver is running firmware 22, the Controller is running r2097, and SqueezeCenter is Version: 7.0 - 17793 - Windows 2000 - EN - cp1252).

dean
2008-04-13, 12:53
Press and hold the button on the Receiver until its light is flashing red, then choose it in Choose Player and you should be walked through setup again.

cliveb
2008-04-13, 15:17
Press and hold the button on the Receiver until its light is flashing red, then choose it in Choose Player and you should be walked through setup again.
That's exactly what I've already tried. Given that it reconnected to the wireless network without offering me the option of ethernet (even though there's an ethernet cable plugged in), does this mean that the ethernet port might be dead? Do I need to do a factory reset on the Controller?

cliveb
2008-04-14, 03:53
OK - finally got this working. I had to do a factory reset on the Controller. Once this was done, the ethernet option appeared during Receiver setup. Mind you, the first couple of attempts failed. I then rebooted the Controller and Receiver once again and it worked.

cliveb
2008-04-14, 04:57
OK - finally got this working.
Well, I spoke too soon. After getting it working on ethernet in my workroom, I took it to its installation position (which is on the same ethernet LAN), plugged it in, and guess what? The ethernet port lights did not come on, and it connected to the wireless network! I verified that the port I plugged into on the switch was working, by moving some of the other patch cables around. No amount of factory resetting of Receiver and Controller would bring the ethernet port to life.

So I brought it back down to my workroom, and now the ethernet port lights come on, but any attempt to connect to ethernet fails. I've rebooted the router (which runs the DHCP server), removed the Receiver's DHCP licence from the router, but that didn't help.

I tried holding in the front button while applying power, which caused the LED to enter some sort of cycle: red, green, blue, white, off, red, green, blue, white, etc. It does two complete cycles of red/green/blue/white/off every 5 seconds. While in this state, the ethernet port lights blink as follows: orange alone, orange+green, green alone. Checked the wiki but couldn't find a description of what the LED cycle or the port lights mean - I'm guessing it's some sort of internal test.

So anyway, rebooted the Controller after factory reset, rebooted the Receiver, went into Setup Receiver, held down Receiver button to get LED flashing red, which brought up the wireless/ethernet option screen, but any attempt to connect to ethernet fails pretty much straight away, followed by the try again/skip this step screen.

It really should not be this difficult.

cliveb
2008-04-14, 06:49
First of all, I found and downloaded the Duet User Guide and followed *to the letter* the instructions for setting up a Hybrid installation after doing a factory reset of the Controller. That was successful in my workroom. So off we go to the loft (where the Receiver is to be installed), and as per usual: no ethernet port lights.

Well folks, you're not going to believe this - I know it floored me. I decided to try the Receiver plugged in to various ethernet switches that are around the house. It worked in all of them except the one in the loft, which was happy to talk to various other devices but wouldn't play nice with the Receiver. I guess it must just be some weird incompatibility between the chipsets used in the SBR and that particular switch. So I did some swapping around of switches and we're in business :-)

If anyone's interested, the switch that wouldn't talk to the SBR was a PC-Line 5-port one. (I believe PC-Line is PC World's house brandname here in the UK). The one I replaced it with was another cheap 5-port one marked as "Edimax" (no, I've never heard of them either).