PDA

View Full Version : Sync Help Need - Party Tonight!!!!

baw_heed
2008-04-12, 06:27
Hi,

I'm in a flap. I have 3 new SB3s connected. All work fine and I have a party tonight. I (of course) have been banging on to my mates about the fact this system syncs so you can listen to the same thing all round the house. Unfortunately there seems to be a slight delay between 2 of the 3 machines making it unlistenable.

OK, I should have kept my big mouth shut but please help to avoid social humiliation.

Heres what I have

SB unit 1 - Kitchen - Ethernet connected - amplified via aux phono connection on a Sony Midi system.

SB unit 2 - Lounge - Wireless Connected - listening through Yamaha YST 1100 Sound projector.

SB unit 3 - Conservatory - Wireless connected - amplified via aux phono connection on a Sony Midi system.

Unit 3 sounds to be slightly ahead of Unit 2 even though they are both wirelessly connected.

My intuition tells me that the Yamaha YST 1100 Sound Projector is a complicated bit of kit and probably does lots of processing which may be the cause of delay? If this is what's causing the delay is there any way I can manually adjust the Squeezeboxes to sync the others in squeeze centre?

All help greatly appreciated. Off to put the Beer and Wine in the fridge and get the sausage rolls and sandwiches ready.

pfarrell
2008-04-12, 06:46
baw_heed wrote:
> My intuition tells me that the Yamaha YST 1100 Sound Projector is a
> complicated bit of kit and probably does lots of processing which may
> be the cause of delay? If this is what's causing the delay is there any
> way I can manually adjust the Squeezeboxes to sync the others in squeeze
> centre?

Well, you could use something like a TC Electronics M-Two to delay it
externally before you pass it on to the other box.

I expect you are correct, any DSP work adds a delay, altho it is usually
too small to notice. The pro-audio folks worry about this a lot, they
call it 'latency' for the signal. Doing just an A-to-D and back with a
D-to-A conversion adds latency, and if you do anything, like room
modeling, that is on top.

The easies thing is to check your manual and see if there is a 'bypass'
mode that turns off all of the Yamaha's fancy DSP stuff.

Perhaps borrow a normal amp from a buddy for the length of the party?

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

ModelCitizen
2008-04-12, 06:57
I sync all the time with mixture of wired and wireless and it's pretty perfect (apart from the annoying glitch at the beginning of any gapless tracks).

I assume that you are using SlimServer 7.00? If not you should be. Sync is much better than previous versions. If you are I can only assume that it is your projector device that's causing the delay. Is there any way to switch it into a sort of direct, bypass or "straight through" mode? If you are using the digital output of the SB3 try using the analogue ones (if this is possible).

I hope all goes well. I'd make sure that you do not use a beta SlmCenter and I'd disable any third party plugins. I managed to pretty much ruin the music at my New Years Eve party by running a beta SlimCenter with beta plugins.

BTW. You should not cross post. It'd be best if you deleted the other post in the beginners forum or took out the current content and referred readers to this post (via a link). You'll get better results that way.

MC

baw_heed
2008-04-12, 07:13
Thanks guys. I'll see if I can find a bypass mode on the Yamaha.

Strangely I was in the process of removing the optical connection in favour of analogue to see if that helped.

I'll remove other post.

Pizzas going into oven now and I'm about to crush the ice for margaritas!

radish
2008-04-12, 08:38
In settings go to Players/Audio. There are a number of options there for setting delays which are used during sync. I would start by adding small amounts to "Player Audio Delay" for the _other_ players, e.g. the ones which are not going through the soundbar. This will have the effect of delaying them - the trick is to play around until you hit the right value so they're delayed the same amount as the other player and end up back in sync.

Good luck!