PDA

View Full Version : Transporter problem - knob i locking

jazztime
2008-04-11, 08:38
Less than 6 months ago I bought a Transporter. Unfortunately it had an issue with the knob locking up once or twice a day. Only solution was to take out the power cord - and plug it in again. Sometimes - not always - also the Transporter would not respond to the remote control. Fortunately I bought the unit from a very helpful dealer. He agreed with no trouble at all to replace the unit with a new one.

The new unit did work perfectly for 3 or 4 month, but lately the same problem has reappeared: the knob is locking. Not every day, more like every week or every second week. Other than that I love the Transporter (well Iím looking forward to firmware upgrade to fix the digital input issue).

The dealer has offered me to send it to him to get a repair. But I'm wondering why this problem is happening to me twice? Is it likely that I have had two Transporters with almost identical faults? Or can there be some other explanations like firmware, software or something else? Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm using SqueezeCenter version: 7.0.1 - 17939 - Windows Vista
Firmware: 36
Ethernet connection

SuperQ
2008-04-11, 14:02
I havn't had any issues with mine. But I will admit I almost never use it.

seanadams
2008-04-11, 14:16
Can you tell if it is a hardware issue, like some kind of mechanical lockup in the device, or is it a software issue where perhaps we are telling the knob to go into the wrong mode or something?

For example, if you pull the power cord does it remain locked up?

jazztime
2008-04-12, 01:12
Can you tell if it is a hardware issue, like some kind of mechanical lockup in the device, or is it a software issue where perhaps we are telling the knob to go into the wrong mode or something?

For example, if you pull the power cord does it remain locked up?

It's hard to tell, but to me it feels more like a software issue. The feeling is very much like when you reach the top or the bottom of a list - except when the wheel is locking you cannot turn up or down.

One thing I have come across in the forums is the degaussing sound - which I have only heard one time. Other than that I have never heard a mechanical sound from within the Transporter.

I have not tried how the wheel acts after a lockup and after I pull out the power cord but before I plug it in again. I will try this next time it happens (it did happen two days ago, so it might take a week or two before it happens again .....)

jazztime
2008-04-22, 10:48
Okay it happened again - this time the wheel did lock after 12 days. When it happens I can only turn it backwards if I use force, but I can turn it forwards with a little more resistance compared to normal - but nothing happens in the display when I do it. When I unplug the power-cable the wheel gets all loose - I can turn it both ways very easy. Plugging back the power-cord and it works perfectly again.

Does this give any indication what the problem is?

BTW: This time the knob was locking around I was fiddling with two routers (Transporter is connected by ethernetcable). Until today I have been using Linksys WRT54G (v.7) but I had to restart it once every day or every second day. So now I have switched to WRT54GL (is reported to be a lot better). I guess it has nothing to do with the router, but in case.........

jazztime
2008-05-01, 07:45
Today it happened again. The knob is locking but the music still plays. But I found out something new:

It seems that the knob is acting almost as normal depending on where you are - perhaps with a little more resistance than normal - except that nothing happens when you move the knob. In "Now Playing" I can turn the wheels forward and backward, but nothing happens. The buttoms on the Transporter is working. When I push "back" I get to the "Current playlist" (well, my display is danish, and I don't remember the exact english word). In "Current playlist" I can hardly turn the knob backwards (as is normal because of the magnetic break), but I can turn it forward. But still, nothing happens. Also nothing happens whein I push the knob. When I take out the power cable the knob becomes loose; I can easily turn it backwards and forwards. And when I plug back the power cord everyting works as normal.

Sean (or anyboby else), does this give you any clue if this is software or hardware related? I hope I do not have to bring it in for repair - especially as I have had almost the same problem with another Transporter.