PDA

View Full Version : Chumby streaming

jfalk
2008-04-11, 08:15
Just bought a Chumby, enamored of the idea that I can stream Internet Radio from my slimserver. As I now understand it, Chumby does this by connecting to squeezecenter with a //slimservername:9000/stream.mp3 command. Am I correct that this requires the stream to be mp3 format? If that is true, does it then require me to transcode other internet radio streams, e.g. wma streams or my entire music library, which is in ogg? Is the transcoding set by player? Where?

snarlydwarf
2008-04-11, 08:37
Just bought a Chumby, enamored of the idea that I can stream Internet Radio from my slimserver. As I now understand it, Chumby does this by connecting to squeezecenter with a //slimservername:9000/stream.mp3 command. Am I correct that this requires the stream to be mp3 format? If that is true, does it then require me to transcode other internet radio streams, e.g. wma streams or my entire music library, which is in ogg? Is the transcoding set by player? Where?

Transcoding is set by player if you use bandwidth limiting or... if you use stream.mp3. Assuming you have the right software (ie, lame and sox) it will automatically convert ogg to mp3 on the fly when using stream.mp3.

jfalk
2008-04-11, 09:33
Thanks... guess I'll have to look into installing lame. More linux learning!

jfalk
2008-04-11, 15:07
OK. Downloaded lame. It work and I now can get everything to the Chumby EXCEPT wma streams. When the chumby is connected and a wma stream plays, everything stops. I'm running Squeezecenter on ClarkConnect Linux if that makes any difference.

snarlydwarf
2008-04-11, 17:34
See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?WMA

jfalk
2008-04-12, 10:04
Thanks. My new problem is trying to install ffmpeg on ClarkConnect 4.2. Over to the CC forum....

sander
2008-04-12, 10:10
Not to hijack (but it's consistent with the title) jfalk, how does the Chumby serve as a media streamer?
I check up on the Chumby forums every couple of months just to see how it's doing, but I'm always unclear as to what the Chumby experience is like? Can you get it to perform a single task or does it periodically wander and start streaming ads if you just leave it?

TIA

jfalk
2008-04-12, 15:52
Well, Sander, I've only had it three days, but the Squeezecenter streaming is differnt from the widgets, which, as you point out, can include something you didn't ask for. The music streaming is a different application: all you have to do is put in your SC7 IP address and it will stream whatever is on it (as long as it can turn it into an m3 stream, which is my current problem). The Chumby won't control SC7, though. Several people claim to be working on that, but they seem to think it's too hard. I'm trying to use it as an alarm clock... which will work great so long as SC7 is set up to start playing first and I don't want a wma radio stream.