PDA

View Full Version : FLAC and Gaps - Again

agbagb
2008-04-11, 07:55
SqueezeCenter 7 under XP. Two SB3s synched up. Both SBs upgraded to latest firmware when SC7 installed. Music Folder is an external USB drive. Music ripped to FLAC using CDex.

An old problem, revisited. A lot of classical music - and especially opera - has "tracks" that, on the original CD run seamlessly into each other. However, playing that music via CS / SB3 is giving me audible gaps, plus a little static blip, as we move from one track to another. Annoying - and it seems *much* worse under SC 7.

Playing the exact same digital source via Winamp installed on the same PC gives perfectly gapless playback.

So, how do I get gapless FLA playback via SC and SB3s?

AGB

aubuti
2008-04-11, 08:02
Gapless playback isn't supported with synchronized players. What does it sound like when the SB3s are not sync'd?

agbagb
2008-04-11, 09:14
Gapless playback isn't supported with synchronized players. What does it sound like when the SB3s are not sync'd?

Duh..... Sounds perfect! Didn't think of that one......

Also - it's a satisfactory solution for me. I have the players synch'd for "daytime casual" use - one SB powers my main stereo; the other pumps into the whole-house system, which consists of mono speakers with their own volume control in each room. So, when the players are synch'd, I'm moving round the house (which has my home office too), doing stuff. I'm not so likely to be listening to Opera then, or to be bothered much by gaps if I am. If I want serious listening, then I can just un-synch the players via the remote. Slightly inconvenient, but OK.

Question - is there any chance that gapless playback *can* be supported for synch'd players in some future release. Or is that asking too much of the art of the possible?

AGB

aubuti
2008-04-11, 09:26
Question - is there any chance that gapless playback *can* be supported for synch'd players in some future release. Or is that asking too much of the art of the possible?

AGB
Glad that the simple solution meets your needs -- I didn't know if you were one of those "I demand sync'd gapless now or I'll sue!" types.....

Btw, lots of code was re-written for SC7 to make sync much more reliable than it was in 6.x. Yes, there is a chance that sync'd gapless playback will be supported in the future, but I understand that it's Really Really Hard (tm). SC currently keeps players in sync by re-syncing them between tracks, which takes a short blip of time (or a longer blip if conditions are unfavorable, like underpowered server, weak wireless, etc.). I suspect gapless sync would require more thinking ahead on the part of SC. I think it's on the devs' to do list, but not very close to the top right now.

agbagb
2008-04-11, 09:33
Glad that the simple solution meets your needs -- I didn't know if you were one of those "I demand sync'd gapless now or I'll sue!" types.....

My problem in life is that I've always been a "nice guy".........

Follow up question. I usually handle synch issues from SqueezeCenter. Just trying now to handle it from the remotes had me a little confused. I can navigate to SETTINGS - SYNCHRONIZATION. But there I'm just offered a option to Synch Player A with Player B. But not an option to UN-SYNCH them. Is that just a toggle, using the PLAY button; or is there an easier way to command SYNCH or NO-SYNCH?

AGB

aubuti
2008-04-11, 09:38
Read the small text at the top of the SB3 screen. If they are not sync'd, it says something like "Press right arrow to sync with...". If they are already sync'd, it says something like "Press right arrow to un-sync with..."

agbagb
2008-04-11, 09:43
Read the small text at the top of the SB3 screen. If they are not sync'd, it says something like "Press right arrow to sync with...". If they are already sync'd, it says something like "Press right arrow to un-sync with..."

Ah-ha! If you have - as I do - the text size set to biggest, you don't get that top line! You do get it on the medium and small text sizes. And I see the info I need (if i get close enough to the SB3....).

So, unless I get a top line even with the biggest text size, and get it in the next half-hour - I'm suing!

AGB

aubuti
2008-04-11, 10:30
Ah-ha! If you have - as I do - the text size set to biggest, you don't get that top line!
Nope. My eyes are too good to need the biggest size text. Or maybe just my rooms are too small?

agbagb
2008-04-11, 10:40
Nope. My eyes are too good to need the biggest size text. Or maybe just my rooms are too small?

Yep - my main SB is about 20 feet away from the sofa (we live large here in Texas!); and the secondary one is up high, on a shelf. And my eyes are not what they used to be, too.......

Anyway, all problems solved.

AGB