PDA

View Full Version : Load on Startup choice gone in SqueezeCenter

Murph
2008-04-10, 07:19
Am I confused or did this option go away. It now only has an option to load on login. It's been bugging me after Windows automatic updates that do reboots and such. Used to be a non-issue.

SOrry if I'm missing something. I try a search and so no similar topic.

Phil Leigh
2008-04-10, 09:16
If you are running SC7 on XP you want it to start as a "Service" (automatically at reboot) not as an application.
Hence the option has disappeared...it should automatically install like this AFAIK. However, someone else will no doubt advise in more detail...

radish
2008-04-10, 09:24
The default is now to run as an application (so it starts when you login). However, if you want it to run as a service instead (starts at bootup) there's an icon in the start menu to switch it over.

moley6knipe
2008-04-10, 09:29
WinXP - C:\Program Files\SqueezeCenter\ServiceEnabler.exe which should launch the start-up options dialogue (or Start > All Programs > SqueezeCenter > SqueezeCenter startup options). As my music and SC7 are all on the same machine and disk I just selected "Start automatically..." and left all the options blank. But anyway, that's where you change it's behaviour - it was done to bring SC7 in line with how Vista expects things to operate, I believe.

Phil Leigh
2008-04-10, 11:16
Thanks for the explanation...but why would anyone want to run it as an app rather than as a service? Is that a Vista "thing"?

Millwood
2008-04-10, 11:35
Thanks for the explanation...but why would anyone want to run it as an app rather than as a service? Is that a Vista "thing"?

I'll venture a guess that it was decided that dealing with the permission problems of running as a service were beyond the average user.

In linux, the opposite is true - squeeze runs under its own user id and permissions are a constant small bother.

radish
2008-04-10, 11:39
Whenever you have network drives there can be hassles if you're running as a service due to the security model. I think the decision was that most users would be happy with it as an app and it would cut down on support calls.

Murph
2008-04-10, 12:16
Excellent Explanations!
I'll be able to fix that up tonight. Thanks everyone!

mherger
2008-04-10, 13:26
> Thanks for the explanation...but why would anyone want to run it as an
> app rather than as a service? Is that a Vista "thing"?

Support had to deal with a lot of issues when user tried to access iTunes or music on network shares: as a service by default is running in a different context (not the current user's "view"), it can neither read his registry to find iTunes, nor access mounted drives. Plus most users seem to have autologon enabled on XP. Thus we decided to change the default behaviour.

--

Michael

pski
2008-04-10, 19:28
> Thanks for the explanation...but why would anyone want to run it as an
> app rather than as a service? Is that a Vista "thing"?

Support had to deal with a lot of issues when user tried to access iTunes or music on network shares: as a service by default is running in a different context (not the current user's "view"), it can neither read his registry to find iTunes, nor access mounted drives. Plus most users seem to have autologon enabled on XP. Thus we decided to change the default behaviour.

--

Michael

So here's what I'm wanting.. (forget itunes integration...)

XP Pro: start as a service. With 7.0 I've tried starting at startup to no avail. I still have to RDP to the "server" and signon to get SC up.

Music is on a share (NAS) Setting the network password for the user in XP setup does not seem to translate as a user/password from within the web server (on the SC box...) In fact, setting the user/password in Firefox also doesn't result in a connection from the server to the NAS.. in short setting "reconnect" in XP has no effect... when SC tries to play music from the NAS, it lacks credentials.. I have to RDP to the "server" and try to view the contents of the music folder and then respond to the user/password prompt (already filled-in by XP) before SC can access the NAS.

JimC
2008-04-10, 19:55

XP Pro: start as a service. With 7.0 I've tried starting at startup to no avail. I still have to RDP to the "server" and signon to get SC up.

Music is on a share (NAS) Setting the network password for the user in XP setup does not seem to translate as a user/password from within the web server (on the SC box...) In fact, setting the user/password in Firefox also doesn't result in a connection from the server to the NAS.. in short setting "reconnect" in XP has no effect... when SC tries to play music from the NAS, it lacks credentials.. I have to RDP to the "server" and try to view the contents of the music folder and then respond to the user/password prompt (already filled-in by XP) before SC can access the NAS.

To launch SqueezeCenter as a service, go to the Start menu and run SqueezeCenter startup options. You can enter credentials (username and password) or leave them blank. After you elected to run SqueezeCenter as a service, you'll need to restart Windows.

-=> Jim

JJZolx
2008-04-10, 20:02

Have you run the service installer yet?

Start > Programs > SqueezeCenter > SqueezeCenter Startup options

Not sure how you deal with that. I take it you're not operating in a Windows domain environment. I've seen some NAS's that can deal with Windows domain level authentication. Running the service under a domain account would probably work in that setup, but I don't know how you can operate with local Windows user accounts. Do you really need security of that level for a music share on your home network? Can't you just give everyone read access to the share?