PDA

View Full Version : SqueezeCenter as System Service

leftnose
2008-04-09, 17:27
Hello,

Is there any way to configure the new SqueezeCenter to run as a system service? Currently, my computer has to be logged in for SqueezeCenter to run. This caused me a problem last night when my computer automatically rebooted because of Windows Update. Because it didn't log in (normal--I have a password), SqueezeCenter didn't start so my Squeezebox didn't intialize so my alarm didn't go off.

SlimServer ran as a system server so my computer didn't have to be logged in. Is there a way to do the same with SqueezeCenter? If not, I see a downgrade in my future.

Thanks,
Richard

JJZolx
2008-04-09, 17:34
There's a little installation utility to install the service.

Start > Programs > SqueezeCenter > SqueezeCenter Startup options

You can skip the entering of a username and password and it will run as the local SYSTEM account, like SlimServer did.

leftnose
2008-04-09, 20:12
EXCELLENT! Thanks so much!

Richard

Digitalabode
2008-05-01, 03:32
There's a little installation utility to install the service.

Start > Programs > SqueezeCenter > SqueezeCenter Startup options

I've been trying to get this to work for days without any luck. Everytime I log in windows informs me that "Squeezecenter.exe encountered a problem and needed to close". Tried it with and without supplying log-in (user) details.

Squeezecenter runs fine if I set it up to run after log in.

I'm running win xp pro, sp2. Squeezecenter v 7.0. Have tried to reinstall, but no joy.

Now, pretty tricky to diagnose from the brief information I've provided, but if anyone out there thinks they can help I'll be happy to provide further information - just let me know what you need.

Autorun is essential to me, as Squeezecenter is on a remote server (well, in the loft) and powers down / up automatically. I'm not always around to manually start squeezecenter.

mherger
2008-05-01, 04:09
> I've been trying to get this to work for days without any luck.
> Everytime I log in windows informs me that "Squeezecenter.exe
> encountered a problem and needed to close".

Please take a look at Windows' event viewer, services and applications. Do you see anything SC related? And could you please upload your server.log file too?

--

Michael

Digitalabode
2008-05-01, 05:06
Files attached as requested.

mherger
2008-05-02, 10:55
> Files attached as requested.

SC seems to have trouble starting its database. If you are using McAfee, make sure it's not scanning *.my*. If you've got a different AV scanner, what product? Can you try telling it to ignore the above file type?

--

Michael

Digitalabode
2008-05-02, 12:00
>SC seems to have trouble starting its database. If you are using McAfee, make sure it's not scanning *.my*. If you've got a different AV scanner, what product? Can you try telling it to ignore the above file type?

--

Michael

I'm using AVG Free version 8.0.100 on the server. I can't see a way to make exceptions, other than on complete folders, which I'm a bit loath to do. But .my* are not on the list of scanned file type (full list below),

I think you might be on the right track though as I've just changed from AVG free version 7.5. When I get chance I'll see what happens if I revert back.

Here's the scanned file list from AVG Free 8

386;ASP;BAT;BIN;BMP;BOO;CHM;CLA;CLAS*;CMD;CNM;COM; CPL;DEV;DLL;DO*;DRV;EML;EXE;GIF;HLP;HT*;INI;JPEG*; JPG;JS*;LNK;MD*;MSG;NWS;OCX;OV*;PCX;PDF;PGM;PHP*;P IF;PL*;PNG;POT;PP*;SCR;SHS;SMM;SYS;TIF;VBE;VBS;VBX ;VXD;XL*;XML;ZL*
Scanning files without extension is on.

Darren.

Digitalabode
2008-05-02, 12:47
I think you might be on the right track though as I've just changed from AVG free version 7.5. When I get chance I'll see what happens if I revert back

I reverted back to AVG free 7.5 and everything is now running as it should.

mherger
2008-05-02, 13:13
> I reverted back to AVG free 7.5 and everything is now running as it
> should.

Wow... thanks for the feedback. I was to update my Windows system next time I booted it up :-/.

Now we'll have to find out what is breaking it. Will give this some playing monday. Thanks for testing this!

--

Michael