PDA

View Full Version : SD Turn Up Volume and No Sound Advice?

AlwaysLearning
2008-04-08, 18:15
I just bought the SD and really like it except for one thing. As long as I do not turn up the volume on the remote or my stereo too loudly everything works fine. Turn up the volume a little to much on either and the sound either cuts out completely or is very choppy.

Any advice as to what I am doing wrong?

Eric Seaberg
2008-04-08, 19:38
CHOPPY? Do you mean it stops, starts, stops, starts, or just keeps playing and goes off/on? Your volume settings should have NOTHING to do with that. Are you running wireless or wired? Is there a chance your amp is going into a 'thermal' protection, then coming back on, then protecting, etc.?

This sounds really strange! What kind of amp/receiver? A CD or other source doesn't do this?

AlwaysLearning
2008-04-08, 19:51
I'm using the SD over a wireless network. It only happens when I use the AUX input (the SD) any other source I can crank the volume no problem. By choppy I will get music at the higher volume for a second or two and then it will drop out for about 10 seconds or so. Another symptom is that to hear the music at a 'normal' volume, I have to turn the volume up quite a bit louder than normal on the tuner/amp, ie. normally the volume is set at 30 the same volume using the SD has to be up around 40.

It is a cheap tuner/amp I am using - think Insignia brand! I find it hard to believe that could be the problem as I mentioned I can play CD's or the radio at full blast no problem.

slimkid
2008-04-08, 19:52
I just bought the SD and really like it except for one thing. As long as I do not turn up the volume on the remote or my stereo too loudly everything works fine. Turn up the volume a little to much on either and the sound either cuts out completely or is very choppy.

Any advice as to what I am doing wrong?

You didn't, by any chance, plugged it in the 'phono' input?

Eric Seaberg
2008-04-08, 20:05
Man, if it's off for :10 seconds that sure sounds like a thermal shutdown/reset. I'd certainly adjust the output of the SD to 'match' your other sources, but this still doesn't explain what's happening.

Try plugging it into your CD source inputs to see what it does.

AlwaysLearning
2008-04-09, 05:28
You didn't, by any chance, plugged it in the 'phono' input?

I had my technophile son hook it up and I am sure he could not have made that kind of mistake! I'll check when I get home - that does sound reasonable!

AlwaysLearning
2008-04-10, 06:47
The Duet was hooked into the right input. I bought a new (better) tuner/amp same problem! As I was hooking up the speakers to the new tuner I noticed that the speaker wire was unusually thick substituted it with 16 gauge and now the Duet works fine on both tuner/amps.

crp
2008-04-10, 11:54
You lost me with the speaker wire change....

Before that, I was wondering if there could be any DC output from the "SD"?

Charlie