PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a Duet

mkozlows
2008-04-07, 20:32
Just got it today, and am having two problems:

1. The descriptions say that the Controller buttons should be backlit. They're not. I don't see an option to turn on backlighting anywhere. Am I a moron, or do I have a defective Controller?

2. The wireless connectivity is ABYSMAL. I have it sitting in my bedroom, about 50ft away from the wireless router. Connectivity in that room is perfectly fine on my laptop (I used one of those client-side broadband speed tests, and it came out as 6Mbps, which is Internet-connection limited, so a lower bound), so it's not a general wireless problem, but the Squeezecenter web page shows wireless signal strength as 16%. I can't play FLACs at all, as they drop out every few seconds, and even Rhapsody (128kbps CBR Rhapsody!) broke up so much as to be unlistenable.

What's going on here? How can I fix it? As it stands, the Duet is completely useless to me, because it can't play music, and that sucks.

mkozlows
2008-04-07, 21:06
Well, the backlighting was fixed by rebooting the Controller, so I'm neither a moron nor have a defective controller, I guess.

As for the wireless networking, what sort of SNR numbers should I see on the Controller? If I'm within five feet of the Wifi router, it's around 50; it decreases pretty linearly down to ~20 as I go 50 ft away. Normal? Awful?

JimC
2008-04-07, 21:23
Just got it today, and am having two problems:

1. The descriptions say that the Controller buttons should be backlit. They're not. I don't see an option to turn on backlighting anywhere. Am I a moron, or do I have a defective Controller?

2. The wireless connectivity is ABYSMAL. I have it sitting in my bedroom, about 50ft away from the wireless router. Connectivity in that room is perfectly fine on my laptop (I used one of those client-side broadband speed tests, and it came out as 6Mbps, which is Internet-connection limited, so a lower bound), so it's not a general wireless problem, but the Squeezecenter web page shows wireless signal strength as 16%. I can't play FLACs at all, as they drop out every few seconds, and even Rhapsody (128kbps CBR Rhapsody!) broke up so much as to be unlistenable.

What's going on here? How can I fix it? As it stands, the Duet is completely useless to me, because it can't play music, and that sucks.

You're talking about wireless connectivity on the Squeezebox Receiver, correct? Can you move the Receiver into the same room as the router (as a test) and see what happens? What signal strength do you get? It should be pretty darn high with nothing but air between the Receiver and the router.

If it's not, there's always the chance that something's wrong with your particular Receiver: the wireless antenna could have popped free from the connector during shipping, as an example; or the wireless card could have a hardware problem. If the signal strength is still low while in the same room, I'd suggest contacting Technical Support for assistance.

EDIT: Saw your second post just now, and 50 seems low unless you have a lot of interference. I'd suggest a call to Technical Support is in order.

-=> Jim

mkozlows
2008-04-08, 09:39
EDIT: Saw your second post just now, and 50 seems low unless you have a lot of interference. I'd suggest a call to Technical Support is in order.

Well, the 50 SNR was on the Controller (I believe the SNR rating on the Controller applies to the Controller itself, right?), and the 10% signal strength was on the Receiver; it seems unlikely that they're both broken.

I'm planning on experimenting a bit more with router placement (it's sort of buried under the desk right now, right by a bunch of power cords, which has never mattered in the past, but seems non-ideal) and configuration, but I'd appreciate some guidance:

1. What SNR on the Controller should I expect to see when close-up?

2. What SNR on the Controller is the minimum usable level?

3. What signal strength on the receiver is the minimum feasible level for streaming FLAC with no risk of breakup (on a G-only network)?

Meanwhile, I was able to play with the Controller with the SB2 in the living room, and it's pretty nifty. It's got some rough edges yet, but I pretty much expected that, and I'm very confident that you guys will give it the spit and polish that I've come to expect from SD/L.

(And as a totally tangential note, the Logitech acquisition, whatever else it may or may not do, has definitely been a good thing for Squeezebox packaging. That iPod-like fancy box is a far cry from the utilitarian cardboard of the SB1...)