PDA

View Full Version : Set Up Help

cobbler
2008-04-07, 12:23
Just hooked up Duet to family room - connecting wireless to router and PC
which is in the basement - seems to work great - I assume PC must stay on all the time to connect to both squezzenetwork and also music files on my PC?

Next - want to run outdoor speakers and run another duet for this -
where does the Duet have to be located?? any hook up directions ...

thanks

JimC
2008-04-07, 22:06
Just hooked up Duet to family room - connecting wireless to router and PC
which is in the basement - seems to work great - I assume PC must stay on all the time to connect to both squezzenetwork and also music files on my PC?

To listen to your personal collection, you'll either need to have a computer running SqueezeCenter or you can upload your music to an MP3tunes music locker and access it via SqueezeNetwork. (You'll need the MP3tunes premium service at $40/year to do this).

Next - want to run outdoor speakers and run another duet for this -
where does the Duet have to be located?? any hook up directions ...

thanks

You can add a second Squeezebox Receiver (or any other player we build). My summertime set up has an SB3 connected to a set of powered speakers sitting outside on the patio. The SB3 is generally shaded by a cardboard box that allows me to read the display even when the sun is blazing directly onto the deck. It rains so rarely here after June 1 that it's a snap to throw a plastic tarp over the whole setup if a storm mistakenly turns right at Portland and ends up down here.

Depending on where you plan to set up your speakers, you can either choose to have the second player with the speakers, or somewhere close enough to reach them via speaker wire. If you're using a Squeezebox Receiver and the Squeezebox Controller, you won't even need to see the player or its display.

-=> Jim

Skittler
2008-04-08, 09:37
I assume PC must stay on all the time to connect to both squezzenetwork and also music files on my PC?

The bit Jim didn't answer:
Your PC does not have to be on to access SqueezeNetwork. You can think of SqueezeNetwork as a big SqueezeCentre installation somewhere out there on the internet and therefore you can connect to it just as you would to your own local SqueezeCentre on your PC. The difference is that you can't control what's being played on each channel.

Obviously (I hope), your PC must be on in order for your Duet to access SqueezeCentre running on your PC :)

It rains so rarely here after June 1...
That's absolutely hilarious. You should try living in the UK.