PDA

View Full Version : Controller "power-saving" mode

cliveb
2008-04-07, 02:05
I'm aware that the Controller has some sort of power saving mode, but don't know what it actually does and would like to ask whether something I see happening is indeed this power saving.

If I leave the Controller in the charging cradle, it stays up for days on end. However, if I leave it out of the cradle, then after some period of time (haven't determined what that period is yet), it appears to shut down. You pick it up, and instead of springing back to normal life (eg. showing the "when stopped" screensaver), it reboots. Firmware is r2097.

Is this the power saving mode in operation? If it is, it strikes me as rather extreme. The reboot sequence takes quite a while, and the normal reason I've left the Controller out of the cradle is because I haven't finished using it for the day. So the reason I pick up the Controller is because I want to play something else, and having to wait for it to reboot is a little frustrating. It's not a big problem, of course, but if there could be some other form of power saving which doesn't involve such a "deep sleep", that would be great. My understanding is that the main reason for the power saving is that maintaining the WiFi connection is a big power drain. Couldn't the power saving mode just be a WiFi disconnect rather than a complete shutdown?

rtitmuss
2008-04-07, 02:20
Your right, what you are seeing is one of the power saving modes in operation. It will enter this state after an hour of inactivity (unless you have been changing some of the options in the Factory Test menu). It is not actually a full shutdown, but the wlan is powered off and the cpu is put into a sleep state (much like closing your the lid on your laptop). If only takes one or two seconds to for the Controller cpu to resume, most of the time is reestablishing the wlan connection and connection to SqueezeCenter.

It is likely in a future release the power saving modes will be improved, including optimizing the time to wake up, better heuristics to decided when to enter the sleep state and possible including some user options. It would be great to get feedback and suggestions on this could be made better.

Richard

cliveb
2008-04-07, 03:15
It is not actually a full shutdown, but the wlan is powered off and the cpu is put into a sleep state (much like closing your the lid on your laptop). If only takes one or two seconds to for the Controller cpu to resume, most of the time is reestablishing the wlan connection and connection to SqueezeCenter.
When it wakes up, it displays the Logitech logo and then the "Free Your Music" splash screen, just like a full reboot. Is that what I should expect to see, or is this some "deeper" kind of sleep mode?

rtitmuss
2008-04-07, 03:22
When it wakes up, it displays the Logitech logo and then the "Free Your Music" splash screen, just like a full reboot. Is that what I should expect to see, or is this some "deeper" kind of sleep mode?

No, that's not what you should see. That sounds like a full reboot. Can you capture a log file on an SD card and send it to me?

Thanks,
Richard

rtitmuss
2008-04-07, 03:40
Clive, I think you were on the beta program? Is this a production Controller you are having problems with. If it is a beta Controller I think I know what the problem may be.

Richard

cliveb
2008-04-07, 08:09
Clive, I think you were on the beta program? Is this a production Controller you are having problems with. If it is a beta Controller I think I know what the problem may be.
Yes, it's a beta controller.

I also have a production controller and tried the same experiment. When picking it up after leaving it for an hour, it says "Please Wait" with the "spinning dots", and reconnects after a short while, which I presume is what is supposed to happen.

You say you know why the beta controller does this: is there anything I can do to change it? (It's not a problem if there isn't).

Incidentally, I tend to use the beta controller day-to-day because it has a smoother wheel than the production one, and the WiFi range seems about the same.