PDA

View Full Version : Quite upset - Rhapsody!

BrockStone
2008-04-06, 20:09
So I started the free trial for Rhapsody from my controller for my Duet. Been using it the past week and am quite thoroughly addicted to having any song on demand.

Went to sign up...US customers only?

Wtf?

Perhaps Logitech should have a wiki or something that can be kept up to date as to what services can and can not be used outside of the US. Just annoying that I'm completely addicted to and used to it now, and then can't use it. I'd rather have not had it at all.

On that note, anyone know of any on-demand streaming music services that ARE available to outside the US?

Thanks

mherger
2008-04-06, 22:46
> Went to sign up...US customers only?

Yes, that's a problem. Not only for our customers, but for us as well :-(. We're working on getting additional services for outside the US.

> Perhaps Logitech should have a wiki or something that can be kept up to
> date as to what services can and can not be used outside of the US.

We're currently working on SN no longer displaying options which aren't available in a give country. In a few weeks customers outside the US won't see any Pandora/Rhapsody/Slacker reference any more.

--

Michael

jeebers
2008-04-07, 00:13
We're currently working on SN no longer displaying options which aren't available in a give country. In a few weeks customers outside the US won't see any Pandora/Rhapsody/Slacker reference any more.

--

Michael

Will this affect access through SC7? I am in the UK and paid for a Pandora account before access was stopped. However, I can still access it via SC7 and SN - please don't take this away...!

mherger
2008-04-07, 00:37
> Will this affect access through SC7? I am in the UK and paid for a
> Pandora account before access was stopped. However, I can still access
> it via SC7 and SN - please don't take this away...!

AFAIK we're only hiding them, so you don't get offered a service you actually are not allowed to use. If you're still able to use Pandora, then enjoy it. Eg. Slacker does filter by IP on their site.

--

Michael

y360
2008-04-07, 01:43
Just please ensure there is a way to un-hide it if a user wishes so
i.e. please make a user-defined preference that can override your ip-based decision

mherger
2008-04-07, 02:37
> Just please ensure there is a way to un-hide it if a user wishes so

There's been some discussion about this - and we can't even do anything if the service provider is implementing his own filtering.

May I ask you what your situation is that you'd need this? We have to understand our user's situtation to get the best solution which servers them as well as our service providers. Thanks!

--

Michael

BrockStone
2008-04-07, 06:26
Actually I agree in that I may want them back...ie. have a checkbox that I can bring them back, maybe just default the plugins to disabled for non-US.

raglencross
2008-04-07, 06:46
It appears that at least one of the service providers in question takes into account that the particulars of your account are US based even though you may be accessing the service from a non-US IP, such as when travelling abroad. If SN is to get involved in filtering then account information (i.e. having a username and password) should override access IP.
Anyway, why add this level of complexity? Just state in big bold letters on the website and SB's that the services are "US Only". I think it probable that the initiator of this thread missed the existing "small print" and is now justifiably aggrieved in a way that could not be claimed if the restriction was conspicuously posted.

andyg
2008-04-07, 07:02
Our service hiding is based only on your chosen country in your SqueezeNetwork account. You can choose a different country if you wish to see different services, even if you may not be able to use them.

sand
2008-04-07, 11:01
Our service hiding is based only on your chosen country in your SqueezeNetwork account. You can choose a different country if you wish to see different services, even if you may not be able to use them.

Thank's for clarifying, Andy!
Is that the timezone setting you are referring to - or is there some other setting?

andyg
2008-04-07, 11:05
No, the country setting. But none of this is active in production yet, not for a few weeks.