PDA

View Full Version : Request: vBulletin config change

jsharper
2008-04-06, 15:04
Hello
I'm wondering if someone from Slim Devices would consider changing the following vBulletin config option on this forum:

AdminCP->vBulletin Options->General Settings->Thread/Forum Read Marking Type

to 'Database (automatic forum marking)' or at least 'Database (no automatic forum marking)' ?
This is a feature introduced in vBulletin 3.5 that greatly improves the experience for forum users by keeping better track of what posts/threads we have read or not read.

Thanks

JJZolx
2008-04-06, 23:28
I'm not familiar with this setting, but I'd love to see better tracking of posts and forums that have been read. This has been a long time (albeit minor) annoyance, so anything that can improve it would be welcome.

mherger
2008-04-06, 23:35
> I'm not familiar with this setting, but I'd love to see better tracking
> of posts and forums that have been read. This has been a long time
> (albeit minor) annoyance, so anything that can improve it would be
> welcome.

Now if both of you could go a bit more in to details: what are you missing? What should get fixed/changed? What can we expect from this new option?

Please help an ignorant - I'm avoiding the forums whenever possible, using the mailing list. Maybe for the reasons you're referring to?

--

Michael

jsharper
2008-04-07, 00:01
Basically, with the current setting, the forum only considers your last login time when determining which threads/posts are "new" to you and "unread" by you. During your session, it uses a cookie to track what threads you have "read" during this session, and the "take me to first unread post" icon/link in each thread just goes to the oldest post since your previous login. The major downside to this is that if you don't read 100% of the new posts all in one session without hitting the session inactivity timeout, every time you login, then you basically lose track of what posts you have read and have not.

Starting with vBulletin 3.5, vBulletin can track all of this for you per user on the server and keep track of what threads/posts each user has read and hasn't, making the read/unread indicators and the "take me to the first unread post" icons/links actually work accurately and correctly.

This is probably explained better by vBulletin staff, stolen from http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138544

Database-Based Thread and Forum Read Marking

Yes, it's finally here! Now, instead of using cookies and inactivity timeouts to determine what should be considered unread versus read, you can now opt to track this via the database.

Individual threads are considered read only if you have actually read them. Also, as soon as you have read all threads in a forum, it's light bulb will go out; no need to visit the forum list!

Of course, it's also an option. Should you wish to stick with the original system, you'll be able to do so.

Yes, it does take slightly more resources on the forum server to enable it, but in my experience, it isn't much and really improves the user experience.

JJZolx
2008-04-07, 00:03
Now if both of you could go a bit more in to details: what are you missing? What should get fixed/changed? What can we expect from this new option?

When you've viewed a thread it doesn't get immediately marked as such and it will still appear as though there are unread messages in the thread. The behavior is somewhat inconsistent - most often a thread will appear to have new content for some time (10-15 minutes) after you've viewed the most recent message, but occasionally they do get marked immediately.

Forum marking and icons behave much the same way and will continue to appear as having new messages long after you've veiwed all the new messages within the forum.

mherger
2008-04-07, 00:34
Please feel free to file a "bug" (enhancement request) in the lists.slimdevices.com category on http://bugs.slimdevices.com. Thanks!

--

Michael

mvalera
2008-04-07, 12:30
Unfortunately we're going to need to update some servers before we can turn this option on.

Thanks for pointing it out we're going to do it for sure, it just may take a couple of months to complete the planned hardware upgrade.

Thanks,

Mike

JJZolx
2008-04-07, 12:34
Unfortunately we're going to need to update some servers before we can turn this option on.

Thanks for pointing it out we're going to do it for sure, it just may take a couple of months to complete the planned hardware upgrade.

Really? Slim forum response times are excellent. I would think you have quite a bit of headroom to spare.

funkstar
2008-04-07, 12:57
Gah!

Oh well, I guess I'll have to get used to it. The Thecus User Group does it like this and it annoys the hell out of me.

While we are on the subject of forum enhancements, can we get a "Quock Post" box at the bottom of threads? It can masively reduces page requests (although it does use AJAX to submit the post). Works in the same way the Edit post button does.