PDA

View Full Version : Fileshare Problem with SqueezeCenter v7.0

Ed C
2008-04-06, 14:41
OS is Windows XP SP2. When I set SqueezeCenter to "start when I logon" it can see my network storage drive where my music is stored. When I set it to "start automatically when the computer starts" using the very same username and password that I use to logon, it can't "see" the network based storage.

SlimServer 6.5 needed UNC paths to work and I've tried that with Squeezecenter 7.0, but it reports that it's not a valid path.

Thanks in advance. (I'm glad I saved the install for SlimServer 6.5. I may need to backdate!)

(Yes, I've searched the forums and read most of the posts about using IP addresses and UNC paths. None of that worked.)

Ed

mherger
2008-04-06, 22:37
> set it to "start automatically when the computer starts" using the very
> same username and password that I use to logon, it can't "see" the
> network based storage.

Please check the SqueezeCenter service's settings in Windows' Settings/Administrative Tasks/Services: you should see your username in there, otherwise something went wrong.

> SlimServer 6.5 needed UNC paths to work and I've tried that with
> Squeezecenter 7.0, but it reports that it's not a valid path.

UNC paths should work fine (mapped drives do not!). Please set logging (Settings/Advanced/Logging) for os.files and os.paths to debug, try again and upload the log file.

--

Michael

Ed C
2008-04-07, 20:10
Thanks Michael.

When I look at the SC properties in the Services application, the "Log On" tab shows "This account:" selected, but it shows the account name as ".\Ed" whereas my actual log on name is just "Ed". Also, while the password is shown as a string of ".", there are more of them than my password length. After testing SC and verifying that it couldn't find my network drive, I went into the Services app and manually entered my correct account name and password and then restarted the service. SC still wouldn't recognize my network drive. I went back into the Services app, and the account name had reverted back to ".\Ed" and the password length again looked wrong.

I couldn't upload the complete log file - it's 167KB and the forum tells me that there's a 19 KB limit. I trimmed it from the top until it met the limit.

Regards,
Ed

mherger
2008-04-07, 22:26
> as ".\Ed" whereas my actual log on name is just "Ed". Also, while the

That's fine. The dot just means "local user". In corporate environments
this could be something like "domain\user".

> password is shown as a string of ".", there are more of them than my
> password length. After testing SC and verifying that it couldn't find
> my network drive, I went into the Services app and manually entered my
> correct account name and password and then restarted the service. SC
> still wouldn't recognize my network drive. I went back into the
> Services app, and the account name had reverted back to ".\Ed" and the
> password length again looked wrong.

The password isn't an exact representation of what you've entered.

Please note that you won't be able to use _mapped_ drives. Use UNC paths
in any case.

The log rather looks like you're having a problem running MySQL. And did
you set the os.* logging options to debug?

Michael

Ed C
2008-04-08, 06:21
Thanks Michael. Yes, both "os.files" and "os.paths" were, and still are, set to "debug".

Ed

Ed C
2008-04-19, 16:00
Just to close this out and for future reference if anyone else ever runs into this problem:

I just set my HP MediaVault network based storage to allow FTP "read only" access and SC 7.0 can now access the music directory when running as a service. I didn't have any logical reason to try turning-on FTP access, just frustrated and willing to try anything. It - the MediaVault volumes - were already set to allow read-write access for "network computers" using CIFS and NFS, and to allow "read only" web browser access. I never would have suspected that SC 7.0 would need FTP access to access the drive when running as a service.

Ed