PDA

View Full Version : Linux Noob Warning-Squeezecenter Installed-Nothing Happens

buelligan
2008-04-05, 19:29
I have successfully installed Squeezecenter on Ubuntu 7.10, and I just found the Startup scripts. I copied and pasted the second one into a terminal window with no results. Can anyone give a poor helpless noob some guidance as to how to implement them?

Thanks in advance for any help.

pfarrell
2008-04-05, 19:40
buelligan wrote:
> I have successfully installed Squeezecenter on Ubuntu 7.10, and I just
> found the Startup scripts. Can anyone give a poor helpless noob some
> guidance as to how to implement them?

What do you need?
Did you use apt-get or Synaptic to do the install? if so, its normally
is done, ready and running.

How do you know 'nothing' is happening?

On the Ubuntu box, have you tried Firefox going to localhost:9000?

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

buelligan
2008-04-05, 20:23
Dear pfarrell,
Thanks for responding so quickly. I assumed (always a good idea!) that because there was no symbol in the system tray that it wasn't working. But I tried it in Firefox and it loaded right up.

My second (of three that I know of) problem is that I use an Acommdata USB hard drive to store my library. The drive is accessible from Ubuntu (I can see all of the music files) but the music library selection doesn't show the /media/HD Part in its listing. (My USB drive has an annoying "feature"; a CD ROM partition with OpenOffice and other apps irreversibly loaded.)

My third problem is that I can't figure out how to make Ubuntu see my Linksys WRT54GS router, but that's an Ubuntu issue.

Any additional help is even more appreciated.

Thanks again,
buelligan

SuperQ
2008-04-05, 20:32
Squeezecenter may not be able to see the music library on boot because the disk may not be mounted until you login. It may be better to keep your music on the internal drive.

How are you trying to connect to the WRT54GS? Wireless or wired ethernet?
What kind of computer is this?

What do you see when you open a terminal and run "iwconfig"

pfarrell
2008-04-05, 20:37
buelligan wrote:
> My second (of three that I know of) problem is that I use an Acommdata
> USB hard drive to store my library. The drive is accessible from
> Ubuntu (I can see all of the music files) but the music library
> selection doesn't show the /media/HD Part in its listing. (My USB
> drive has an annoying "feature"; a CD ROM partition with OpenOffice and
> other apps irreversibly loaded.)

On your Ubuntu on the top (usual place) there is a Places -> Computer
option that fires up something close to Windows Explorer. Do it and
drive around and see if you can find the files.

> My third problem is that I can't figure out how to make Ubuntu see my
> Linksys WRT54GS router, but that's an Ubuntu issue.

Sadly, wireless on Linux has a fair amount of black art to it.

Have you tried the System -> Administration -> network
and drove around in it? There are semi-friendly GUI setup stuff.

The best place for wireless support on general Ubuntu stuff is
http://www.ubuntu.com/support

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

buelligan
2008-04-05, 20:51
Dear Super Q,

Here is what I got:
henry@henry-desktop:~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

henry@henry-desktop:~$

I must confess that I have very little Linux experience. What there has been hasn't been that good. Anyway, thanks for responding,
buelligan

buelligan
2008-04-05, 21:37
Dear pfarrell and SuperQ,

I am able to see all of my music files by clicking the HD Part icon on my desktop. I can navigate through all my music and play them on Amarok by clicking on the files and selecting Open with Amarok as well as by opening them through Amarok and going to /media/HD Part/My Music.

If only Squeeze center would just see them, I'd be one step closer. Am I mistaken in thinking that the drive is mounted because everything else seems to see it?

Thanks,
buelligan

Mnyb
2008-04-05, 22:33
In Ubuntu you have an icon besides the clock that looks like 2 small computers, thats the "manual Network Configuration" you have a manual configuration option at the bottom when you scrool, it also show's wireless network's if any.

As comparison it doesn't look like you have any working wifi on your pc ?

Heres my "iwconfig"

mikael@mikael:~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wifi0 no wireless extensions.

ath0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"" Nickname:""
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate:0 kb/s Tx-Power:13 dBm Sensitivity=1/1
Retry:off RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=0/70 Signal level=-96 dBm Noise level=-96 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:88014 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

I don't use the wifi in my pc (have router for that part) but it is ok and working

Take a peek here:

System > Administration > Restricted Drivers Manager

I have to use "Atheros Hardware Access Layer (HAL)" otherwise the wifi NIC named ath0 wont work.

Try the Ubuntu forums, and just google around, I'm also a linux n00b i started 2 months ago and i'm truly amazed by the wealth of information that is aviable on Linux, if you fine tune your googling skills you find everything

Diana
2008-04-05, 23:01
...My third problem is that I can't figure out how to make Ubuntu see my Linksys WRT54GS router, but that's an Ubuntu issue.

Although we've started talking about wireless, I'm still not clear how your computer is connected to your router - is it connected with a cable, or do you want to connect it by wireless?

Two issues:

1. The wireless connection between a squeezebox and your router is a separate matter from how your computer connects to the router. Assuming your router is allowing wireless access, the squeezebox will just connect to it when you input the details it asks for at startup. But...

2. It's preferable to keep the wireless 'hops' between your computer that's running Squeezecenter and the Squeezebox to a minimum, so a wired connection between computer and router is better.

So, before we get into sorting out wireless networking for your computer, please say whether you can wire your computer to your router, and what happens if you do.

buelligan
2008-04-05, 23:14
First of all thanks to everyone for helping me out. I am connecting my computer (desktop) to my wireless router with a wired connection. And now, the embarrassing part; it appears that my wireless connection to my Squeezebox was working and I didn't know it. My router sits behind my monitor so I couldn't see the wireless activity indicator flashing.

I didn't know it because I didn't do anything to configure it and the SB3 is the only device on the WLAN, so I had no way of testing. And since the SB3 came up with the display dimmed, I assumed (I really have to stop that!) that there was no connection. To my surprise, I am able to receive internet radio and my connection is stable.

As a temporary measure, I loaded some of my library onto my on-board drive, and specified it in setup. The SB3 can browse the library, but it gets connection timed out errors. I am guessing that there is some permissions problem. I will be proactive and do some digging.

Anyway, thanks to all for your help in getting me this far.
buelligan

Diana
2008-04-06, 00:52
... I am able to receive internet radio and my connection is stable...

Great! I bet you're really pleased to have sorted this out

...The SB3 can browse the library, but it gets connection timed out errors. I am guessing that there is some permissions problem.

Mmm... Yes, maybe some permissions got altered when you copied the files. But check the quality of the wireless signal, too: scroll down to Plugins on the SB3, go right and scroll down to Network Test, go right again, and then scroll down to find the rate that gives you an average of 100%. Should be over 1000kbps to be good enough (2000+ is ideal).

Any problems here, and you may need to do something about the wireless network (which we'll worry about if the permissions thing doesn't fix it and your network test results show you need it.)

odruud
2008-04-06, 03:44
As a newbie maybe you can help me out. I have installed all needed software, can access squeezecenter trough Firefox, the squeezebox are up and running. However when I use squeezecenter to locate my music files they are not recognized. I can find them when using Computer as a explorer. I have my music files both on the internal hard drive and on an external disc. So if someone could explain me how squeezecenter can find the files it would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Diana
2008-04-06, 08:29
...when I use squeezecenter to locate my music files they are not recognized. I can find them when using Computer as a explorer. I have my music files both on the internal hard drive and on an external disc...

Not sure what you mean by 'they are not recognised'. Do you mean that when you 'access squeezecenter through Firefox' you do not see any albums/artists/songs in the left-hand window? I guess that must be what you mean; and, if so, it sounds like SqueezeCenter has not scanned your music.

First, if you really need to have your music in two places, you need to link them so that SC can find them. To do this, put a symbolic link in the music folder on your hard drive, pointing to the music folder on your external disc.

You then need to go to SqueezeCentre Settings and enter the path to your main music folder on your internal hard drive.

Then click the button to rescan your music library.

odruud
2008-04-06, 09:54
Thanks. My music is stored in the folder home/usr/Music on the harddrive. In Squeezecenter settings in tab Basic Settings under Music Folder it says /home/usr/music. When I click browse I am not able to see any of the subfolders which contains the artist. When performing rescan squeezenter does not find any music files. The log file looks like:

[08-03-18 12:39:56.6600] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1241) Warning: [12:39:56.6598] ERROR:

[08-03-18 15:45:23.8097] Slim::Utils::Scanner::__ANON__ (130) Warning: Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Utils/Scanner.pm line 130.
[08-03-18 15:45:23.8208] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1241) Warning: [15:45:23.8203] ERROR:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: SqueezeCenter (7.0 - 17793)
Connection: keep-alive
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 16:53:36 GMT
Content-Length: 359
Content-Type: text/plain

[08-03-18 12:39:56.6600] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1241) Warning: [12:39:56.6598] ERROR:

[08-03-18 15:45:23.8097] Slim::Utils::Scanner::__ANON__ (130) Warning: Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Utils/Scanner.pm line 130.
[08-03-18 15:45:23.8208] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1241) Warning: [15:45:23.8203] ERROR:

buelligan
2008-04-06, 11:32
Well, I booted up this morning and now Squeezecenter can't find my player. I did the same thing I did last time (I think...).

I opened a terminal window and pasted the second startup script into a terminal window (both as a sudo in my regular account and as root) with no results:
#!/bin/sh

# slimserver init script for Debian Linux
#
# This script expects slimserver to be installed in
# /home/slimserver
#

DAEMON=/home/slimserver/slimserver.pl
PIDFILE=/var/tmp/slimserver.pid
LOGFILE=/var/log/slimserver.log
USER=slimserver
SLIMSERVER_OPTS=""

test -x ${DAEMON} || exit 0

case "$1" in
start) echo -n "Starting Slimserver: "
HOME=/home/$USER
start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec $DAEMON \
--chuid ${USER} -- --daemon \
--prefsfile=/etc/slimserver.pref --pidfile=${PIDFILE} \
--logfile=${LOGFILE} ${SLIMSERVER_OPTS}
echo "slimserver"
;;

stop) echo -n "Stopping Slimserver: "
start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --user ${USER} --pidfile ${PIDFILE} --retry 5
echo "done"
;;

force-reload|restart) $0 stop
$0 start
;;

*) echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|force-reload}"
exit 1;
;;

esac

exit 0

My router config shows DHCP is selected and the wireless activity indicator is flashing, just as it did when it worked last night.

I looked in system monitor and didn't find a listing for Squeezecenter (anyone know the process name?), although I can browse my library through the web interface, so it seems to be running.

I should also mention that it has worked flawlessly in Windoze XP home for about a year, so the player and router configs should be valid for Ubuntu (I assu... Oops, almost did it again!).

Thanks for any help,
buelligan

Millwood
2008-04-06, 13:06
If squeezecenter is running and can't see the squeezebox, first thing to do is to restart the squeezebox by holding power down till it reboots. Make sure is connects to the network etc.

Millwood
2008-04-06, 13:08
also - make sure your messing around doesn't have two copies of squeezecenter running.

The was the start/stop/restart on debian, and i assume on unbuntu, is sudo /etc/init.d/squeezecenter start|stop|restart

If you are in doubt, this would be a good time to reboot your system. Then use your web browser to verify that squeezecenter is running.

buelligan
2008-04-07, 18:37
Dear Millwood,
I tried powering down twice. Both times, it connected to the wireless network, obtained and IP address, and when it indicated that it was trying to connect to Squeezecenter, it just went blank.

I am able to ping the player, Squeezecenter is running, and I can browse my music library, but the player just won't connect.

I do have a couple of questions:
1. We only need to run the startup script once right?
2. What is the name of the Squeezecenter process when viewed in System Monitor-Processes?

Thanks again to everyone,
buelligan

Mnyb
2008-04-08, 11:37
As your playing with linux did you start the firewall/ or is it on ?

I'm also a Linux noob so i find it easy to mess with firewall with something called firestarter which you can get trough synaptic.

As I understand it port 9000 and 3483 should be open maybe 9090 as well ? ( a search can show up conflicting info, but 3483 & 9000 is always suggested).

You can also allow all traffic from the SB, as i use fixed IP I simply set the firewall to accept all connections from the SB's ip

JimC
2008-04-08, 21:51
Thanks. My music is stored in the folder home/usr/Music on the harddrive. In Squeezecenter settings in tab Basic Settings under Music Folder it says /home/usr/music.

Under Unix (and Linux) /home/usr/Music and /home/usr/music are not the same directory--it is case-sensitive. Is it possible you have a problem with the filesystem mount so that you have two directories: ~/Music and ~/music?

I'd try to help further, but the arcana of mounting filesystems isn't something I'm very familiar with, and my Linux for Dummies book is at home (seriously). Hopefully someone with more knowledge can point you in the right direction to check that.

-=> Jim

buelligan
2008-04-10, 18:35
Dear Mnyb,

You were right to ask a basic question, 'cause I did in fact overlook it. I allowed the connection and it lit right up!

I really want to thank everyone for their advice and generous help in weaning me off of Windoze.

buelligan