SSH-tunnel on the Squeezebox Controller?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knutm
    • Apr 2008

I know the ability to use headphone is under work. What I'm then interested to know is whether its possible to make an outward ssh-tunnel on the controller. If that is possible you could bring the controller to whatever place that has WiFi-coverage and make a ssh-tunnel home to the SqueezeCenter. That would make it behave like a hardware version of the Softsqueeze!

So.. does the Controller have a ssh-client? Can you create ssh-tunnels with it? If it does, we just have to wait for the headphone-plug to work, and hope the internal player is able to hook up to SqueezeCenter through the ssh-tunnel.

I have ordered a player and looking forward to play with it!

km
  • bhaagensen
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by knutm
    So.. does the Controller have a ssh-client? Can you create ssh-tunnels with it? If it does, we just have to wait for the headphone-plug to work, and hope the internal player is able to hook up to SqueezeCenter through the ssh-tunnel.
    afaik not atm. But it has an ssh-server (dropbear). A wild guess is that it's technically straightforward, for someone in the know, to compile dropbear with client support and add some kind of ui for configuring.

Comment

• knutm
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by bhaagensen
      afaik not atm. But it has an ssh-server (dropbear). A wild guess is that it's technically straightforward, for someone in the know, to compile dropbear with client support and add some kind of ui for configuring.
      Ok, I took a look at the source, and it is as you say using dropbear. As far as I can see, the makefile builds dropbear with the client as well. It is called "dbclient" and is according to the man-page able to set up tunnels!

Could someone check that the SB Controller has the dbclient command?

km

Comment

• Peter
        • Apr 2005

knutm wrote:
        > bhaagensen;287851 Wrote:
        >
        >> afaik not atm. But it has an ssh-server (dropbear). A wild guess is that
        >> it's technically straightforward, for someone in the know, to compile
        >> dropbear with client support and add some kind of ui for configuring.
        >>

>
        > Ok, I took a look at 'the source'
        > (http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jiv...opbear-0.48.1/),
        > and it is as you say using dropbear. As far as I can see, the makefile
        > builds dropbear with the client as well. It is called "dbclient" and is
        > according to the 'man-page'
        > (http://olympus.het.brown.edu/cgi-bin...tml?1+dbclient) able to
        > set up tunnels!
        >
        > Could someone check that the SB Controller has the dbclient command?
        >

# cd /
        # find|grep -i dbclient
        #

Nope, doesn't seem like it.

Regards,
        Peter

Comment

• knutm
          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by peter
          knutm wrote:[color=blue]
          # cd /
          # find|grep -i dbclient
          #

Nope, doesn't seem like it.

Regards,
          Peter
          Yes, I see it now. The build script doesn't build the dbclient by default, for that you must enter "dbclient" along with "dropbear" and "scp" on line 165 in this Makefile.

Well, a custom build shouldn't be that difficult. Or convince the community to build it by default

Comment

• bhaagensen
            • Sep 2006

Well, a custom build shouldn't be that difficult. Or convince the community to build it by default
            Anyway one would also need some kind of configuration system. The shell is not accessible through the ui on the controller itself. Whether the whole thing would be worth it would depend on the sort of battery life one ends up with when streaming. Streaming to my mobile phone over wlan is, albeit very cool, borderline useless due to the very limited battery-life i get when doing it.

Comment

• knutm
              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by bhaagensen
              Anyway one would also need some kind of configuration system. The shell is not accessible through the ui on the controller itself. Whether the whole thing would be worth it would depend on the sort of battery life one ends up with when streaming. Streaming to my mobile phone over wlan is, albeit very cool, borderline useless due to the very limited battery-life i get when doing it.
              I've tried streaming with my mobile phone as well, and without constant charging it drained in a few hours But I guess the Controller can be charged with USB?

The actual streaming could also be done from another device like softsqueeze/softslave/mp3-stream on a computer or embedded device and only use the Controller as a remote.

I don't think a UI for creating and destroying a ssh-tunnel shouldn't be too hard to make.

km
              Last edited by knutm; 2008-04-07, 17:08.

Comment

• bhaagensen
                • Sep 2006

But I guess the Controller can be charged with USB?
                (Again) not presently. But the charging voltage is 5V, so I guess it is just a matter of getting hold of a suitable cable.

Comment

• schiegl
                  • Jul 2006

Yes, I see it now. The build script doesn't build the dbclient by default, for that you must enter "dbclient" along with "dropbear" and "scp" on line 165 in this Makefile.

okay, building and running dbclient was no problem at all. From a Geek-POV it's cute ssh'ing to and from the SBC and building tunnels :-)

kind regards,
                  Markus

Comment

• knutm
                    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by schiegl
                    okay, building and running dbclient was no problem at all. From a Geek-POV it's cute ssh'ing to and from the SBC and building tunnels :-)

kind regards,
                    Markus
                    Cool! Can you get the controller to connect to the SqueezeCenter through the tunnel as well?

km
                    ..still waiting for my unit..

Comment

• schiegl
                      • Jul 2006

Cool! Can you get the controller to connect to the SqueezeCenter through the tunnel as well?

km
                      ..still waiting for my unit..
                      good question...unfortunately i'm away from my SBC for the next days - so you're in good company :-)
                      I'll check it out the next weekend if nobody else does it.

kind regards,
                      Markus

Comment

Working...