PDA

View Full Version : Waking computer

Gibbo
2008-04-05, 04:44
Hi,

Is it possible to allow a SB to bring my computer out of standby? I leave my computer on a lot just because I might put some music on, and would obviously then save a lot of power if I could just leave it in standby and have the SB wake it up when I wanted to use it.

i'm running 2 SB3's wirelessly, both connected double hop so the computer (running XP, and latest SC) is wireless as well.

Any help would be great.

Mnyb
2008-04-05, 07:17
the SB3's do WOL wake on lan per default when you press the power button.

Search "wake on lan"or wol on this forum.

The hard part can be to configure your pc/mac/'nix box to use it, and figure if your network card etc supports it.
Sadly I've never heard of an wifi card thats support wol ? maybe from sleep or something, I've never seen one that initiate's the pc to boot itself.
So you got a greater chance off success if you skip that double hop to the computer, which is bad idea anyway as your doubling the load on your wireless network. Can you really play flac files on bot SB's at the same time without problem's ? Then your are lucky and have a very good wifi network.

But wol is a popular subject, so you actually get's more usefull info if you google around a bit and search for specifics for your hardware and OS.

I'm very pleased with the wol functionality, I've just figured how to use it to wake my SC server from the internet and stream music to my laptop when traveling, at hotels and when i'm visiting friends, so it's a very cool feature.

dennis55
2008-04-05, 08:13
Gibbo,just thinking aloud here.......go in to your PC's bios setup(usually delete) key when your computer boots up.select WOL option and then save (F10). Now i'm wondering IF you use the Alarm function on the SB will it wake up both ?.....worth a try!.

cheers

dennis

Gibbo
2008-04-07, 00:20
Cheers

The problem i've realised may be with the fact that in standby the wireless card is actually powered down. I'll have a play around with it all and see how I get on.

I know a lot of people don't like the double hop but i've managed to set my network up well enough that I can play flac on both SB's without any trouble. It took a lot of doing though. Most people just seem to boost the wireless strength. I spent some time playing with this but although it increased the signal strength it increased the noise by the same so got me nowhere.

I'd rather have a working double hop than the WoL due to the setup I have in my house. So I guess i'll just have a play around.

Many thanks, i'll keep you posted..

MillmoorRon
2008-04-07, 04:46
I've just figured how to use it to wake my SC server from the internet and stream music to my laptop when traveling, at hotels and when i'm visiting friends, so it's a very cool feature.

How did you do this? I could never get it to work over the internet!

Mnyb
2008-04-07, 22:25
How did you do this? I could never get it to work over the internet!

It was a router thing, most consumer routers don't support this no matter what you do.

The old way off doing this was to portforward port 7 or 9 to the routers broadcast address example 192.168.1.255 this is not supported by for example Netgear WGT624v3

So i changed to a linksys WRT54GL and loaded it with with a third party firmware, in my cause "Tomato" but there are many more aviable.
The WRT54GL is practically an open source router ? does anyone use the factory firmware ?
Anyhow it is configurable so that you can log on to router remotely and then start up selected device or key in a MAC and like magic it boot's :)

This ads and extra layer of security, you don't have open the .255 address to the world, and of course you have set a password to your router :)
In the Tomato firmware you choose remote admin to use https for added security.

Another precaution would be to make sure that your ordinarie desktop is not wol capable, only the server machine that has Squeezecenter