PDA

View Full Version : HELP? Can i connect my squeeze box to my pc with home plugs without a router?

ANDI1
2008-04-04, 20:25
Ive purchased a squeeze box three and i have a pair of home plugs then going to ethernet on my sb3 and to my pc, ive tried liking my squeezebox to my pc using the home plugs to no avail, i think i have to set some static ip`s or something, its certanly not picking them up automatically via the dhcp. And ive tried some ip adddress`s but still no joy.

Do i need a router or should i be able to connect my squeeze box to home plug and pc to home plugs and get them to link.

Im not too tech savvy but i can get to the ip config screen.

Can anyone give me a step by step of what i need to do to connect if it can be done. I think i may need to set some staticv ip into the computer or something but how do i do that.

Also i have downloded the slim server software thats installed

really appreciate some advice before i give up and sell :( thankyou

ceejay
2008-04-05, 00:31
Hello

You certainly should be able to get this setup to work. In the case you have, ie just a PC and an SB, there is no DHCP server (its normally packaged into a router) which is why nothing is working yet.

As you have already spotted, you will need to set some static IP addresses. something like

192.168.0.2 for your PC
192.168.0.3 for your SB

You will probably also be asked for a Subnet mask - set this to 255.255.255.0 for both.

(I deliberately missed out .1 as many routers use this address and you might want to add one in the future)

HTH

ANDI1
2008-04-05, 04:30
Thanksd for response can anyone tell me how i change gthe static ip on my pc, i know how to do it on the squeezebox itself but cant find how to do it on the pc itself, im using windows xp btw.

Jeff52
2008-04-05, 05:56
...can anyone tell me how i change the static ip on my pc...

Check these out: http://www.hotcomm.com/FAQ/FAQ_staticIPXP.asp

and: http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_configure_my_static_ip_address.html

ANDI1
2008-04-05, 06:17
hi ok ive managed to set the static ip`s for each device and in the "my network places" the connection is shown as ok, Only thing is the squeeze box still wont connect to my squeze center software, any idea why this maybe.

I have herd somewhere else on the forum that i may have to use a ethernet switch / port hub between the squuzebox and hub to enable the squeeze box the connect properly to slim server etc

Any one know if this could be my problem?

How can i test the present connection.

Ive gave my computer a static ip of 192.168.000.002

and my squeze box a static ip of 192.168.000.003

Just a though vdo i need to change the mac address on the squeezebocx at all???

thankyou for all your help.

ceejay
2008-04-05, 08:34
- you don't need to change the MAC address

- one possible problem is a firewall on your PC - with a closed network like this you certainly don't need one, turn it off

- inserting a hub/switch might help, as would using a crossover (instead of normal "patch" cables), that would depend on your homeplugs...

HTH

ANDI1
2008-04-05, 10:07
ok ive been out bought my self a crossover cable to try to link the squeeze box direct to my computer, i can ping it and result is ok but it still wont let me connect. Windows firewall if off too and i cant find any others.

Any other ideas what i can do im sorting of thinking now if i cant even get it working wired direct to my pc with a crossover cable ive kinda got no hope at all with the home plugs lol :(

Phil Leigh
2008-04-05, 11:49
if you put http://127.0.0.1:9000/
into your web browser does it bring up the Squeezecenter page?

What OS are you using?

have you setip your player with
192.168.000.002 as the IP address of your server AND dns?/

ANDI1
2008-04-05, 13:37
if you put http://127.0.0.1:9000/
into your web browser does it bring up the Squeezecenter page?

What OS are you using?

have you setip your player with
192.168.000.002 as the IP address of your server AND dns?/

Hi phil im using windows xp with microsoft explorer, when i put http://127.0.0.1:9000/ into my web browser i just get a dead page?

could that be the source of my problems?

Mnyb
2008-04-05, 14:29
Hi phil im using windows xp with microsoft explorer, when i put http://127.0.0.1:9000/ into my web browser i just get a dead page?

could that be the source of my problems?

Thats one big problem, is the page just dead or does it show a fault message of some kind

Did you install Squeezecenter on your PC ? (sorry for the really dumb question) but theres a whole setup procedure including finding the folder where your music is and scanning these files and so on.

Do you have a squeezecenter icon in your taskbar ?

If so search this forum, many user have experienced problems with other software using port 9000.

Several others had problems making the Squeezecenter software to auto start on loggin and/or boot.

If on windows you should be able to see if SC is running or start it from the taskbar icon (some where close to the clock).

You can also bring up the task manager to see if theres any Squeezecenter ? process running on your PC

Sorry for imprecise advice, but this part just worked on my XP partition ?

ANDI1
2008-04-05, 16:45
Thats one big problem, is the page just dead or does it show a fault message of some kind

Did you install Squeezecenter on your PC ? (sorry for the really dumb question) but theres a whole setup procedure including finding the folder where your music is and scanning these files and so on.

Do you have a squeezecenter icon in your taskbar ?

If so search this forum, many user have experienced problems with other software using port 9000.

Several others had problems making the Squeezecenter software to auto start on loggin and/or boot.

If on windows you should be able to see if SC is running or start it from the taskbar icon (some where close to the clock).

You can also bring up the task manager to see if theres any Squeezecenter ? process running on your PC

Sorry for imprecise advice, but this part just worked on my XP partition ?

Yes i have gthe sqeeze centre software installed on my pc and its running (little logo next to clock bottom rh corner) The slimserver software does just say starting all the time though and it has never actually started up??

Tried reinstalling it and its just the same?

Phil Leigh
2008-04-05, 23:56
Andi1
OK - this is the problem...SC is starting up but never completing (it should say "running" when you mouse-over the trayicon).
That is why you can't connect.

Check the system event viewer (control panel - admin services) for anything unusual...red icons...
Check Task Manager - look to see if you have a process called mysqld.exe running?

First step - uninstall and then do download and reinstall the SqueezeCenter software.
Disable any firewalls before installing (you can turn them on later once its working).
report back!

Mnyb
2008-04-06, 03:24
I rattle my brain a bit, and remembers that I had to use the start on login option (you can set this via the tray icon), not the start at boot option in my XP partition, probably due to my choice off firewall Ezet nod32 which is very good otherwise.

See if it possible, via the logo in tray to stop SC and then start it again, if runs now, you knows that it is something going on during boot of your PC.

Sorry to hear about your trouble choice of antivirus firewall and other anti spyware apps can (and do) disrupts communication.
One disturbing fact is that not all firewalls "disable" when you say so, you might consider removing the program completely.
Try not to go online without your firewall/antivirus ;-)

I had problems with Norton when i used XP for server.
If you want advise on what to log and more advanced debbuging , other more knowledgeable members can help.

Don't hesitate to contact support they are good, and are probable able to guide you trough this.

And when everything works, return to this tread and post what you did, this will help others

ANDI1
2008-04-06, 03:29
Andi1
OK - this is the problem...SC is starting up but never completing (it should say "running" when you mouse-over the trayicon).
That is why you can't connect.

Check the system event viewer (control panel - admin services) for anything unusual...red icons...
Check Task Manager - look to see if you have a process called mysqld.exe running?

First step - uninstall and then do download and reinstall the SqueezeCenter software.
Disable any firewalls before installing (you can turn them on later once its working).
report back!

Ok ive checked the system even viewer in control panel it shows as there but no started, when i try to start it it just fails and comes up with "the slim service on local computer started and stopped. some servicdes stop automatically if they hsave no work to do. for exampple the operformance logsd alert service."

Ive already tried reinstalling and even tried an older slim server sofware and it still just says starting and never starts up properly.

my firewalls are turned off and ive deleted any third part firewalls etc i can find on my computer although i guess some programs could be hidden some place but how do i find those. Windows securitry alerts is active (bottom right corner next to clock) but disabled.

ive checked task manager process called mysqld.exe is not running.

Any ideas is this some kinid of conflict on my systyem or something?

ANDI1
2008-04-06, 03:47
Update ok ive just been into control panel > admin tools > component services > and found this in the error logs on a few different times :-

"FATAL : There is already another copy of squueze center running on this machine"

Im guessing this could be part of my problem. Do you suggest i track every squueze center file and delete it some how then try a fresh re install. How do i do this?

Thanks for all help.

Phil Leigh
2008-04-06, 07:31
Sounds like it is starting as both a Service and as an Application (at a guess).

Delete the folder C:\program files\ Squeezecenter ... and any folders like
c:\program files\ Slimserver
and c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Squeezecenter"
Then reboot
Then re-install.

ANDI1
2008-04-06, 09:26
ok i deleted all the squuzecenter and slimserver files did a seach to check there was nothing left over. Rebooted and re installed squeezecenter and still have it saying sdame thing it wont go past the "starting bit"

No idea what can be causing this no but its certanly very annoying ive never had so much trouble setting anything up on my pc as the squeezebox system.

Any help much appreciated