PDA

View Full Version : Albumartist/Compilation Artist behaviour - is this covered in a bug somewhere?

smc2911
2008-04-04, 20:17
I posted the following comment under http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6635:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4629. This suggestion relates to a compilation which has an ALBUMARTIST tag (say ArtistX). In that case, I think that rather than having the album appear under

Music Library->Artists->Various Artists->Some-compilation-album

it should appear under

Music Library->Artists->ArtistX->Some-compilation-album

At present this only happens if there are other (non-compilation) albums by ArtistX. At the moment the only workaround to get the album into Music Library->Artists->ArtistX->Some-compilation-album is to set COMPILATION=0, but
this defeats the purpose of setting "Group compilation albums together" as all of the track artists will now appear under Music Library->Artists

Perhaps this is a further enhancement request rather than a bug, but the fact that it works properly when there are other albums by ArtistX makes me thing it's a bug.Now both 6635 and 4629 are marked as resolved, yet the behaviour I described seems to persist. There have been quite a few somewhat related bugs/enhancements posted relating to ALBUMARTISTS and/or COMPILATIONS, so before I post a new one, does anyone know if my problem is already covered elsewhere?

slimkid
2008-04-04, 20:36
I was experiencing the same behavior before I switched BAND tags to ALBUMARTIST tags. Make sure (using mp3tag, extended tags view) that you indeed have ALBUMARTIST and not BAND tag (I'm assuming you are talking flac files).

K

smc2911
2008-04-04, 21:01
Definitely using ALBUMARTIST not BAND and the files are all FLAC. At the moment I'm resorting to setting COMPILATION=0 for these cases. But this is not ideal as I don't actually want all the track artists in the Artists list (in many cases the track in question is the only one I have by the track artist). To be clear, if I have other albums (that are not compilations) by then I get the behaviour I expect. So, for example, with "Group compilation albums together" I have:

Case 1 - Fatboy Slim
I have a number of Fatboy Slim albums but also a compilation album (On the Floor at the Boutique) which is tagged with COMPILATION=1 and ALBUMARTIST=Fatboy Slim. This album appears under Fatboy Slim not under Various Artists

Case 2 - Lee "Scratch" Perry
I have a compilation album The Essential Lee Perry, which is tagged COMPILATION=1 and ALBUMARTIST=Lee Perry, but no other albums exclusively by Lee Perry (although he does appear as a track artist on this and a few other compilation albums). Lee Perry does not appear in my artist list and the album appears under Various Artists. I would expect it to appear under Lee Perry. If I set COMPILATION=0, then Lee Perry does appear in my artists, but so does Junior Byles, The Hurricanes and a whole lot of other artists I would prefer not to have in my artists list as their are too few tracks by them.

JJZolx
2008-04-04, 21:49
I think much of the confusion stems from the idea at one time that 'track-only' artists can only be present on compilations. Which, of course, is not the case. You want them suppressed even when they appear on non-compilations. The trouble is that the 'group compilation' option appears to only be applied to compilation albums, not all albums.

So everyone spends a lot of wasted energy playing with COMPILATION tags and getting albums to be recognized or not as compilations. Whether or not an album is a compilation should have _nothing_ to do with displaying artists in an artist list.

That's what the following bug request tries to address:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5108

smc2911
2008-04-04, 22:07
JJ you make a good point (and I'll vote for that bug). The concept of "compilation" is used in a number of ways (e.g. a Best Of by a single artist is considered by some to be a compilation). In my example, I do consider the Lee Perry album to be a compilation. However, even if this interpretation here is non-standard, I do struggle with the listing behaviour varies across case 1 and case 2 varies not because of the album tags but because of the existence or otherwise of other albums.

MelonMonkey
2008-04-05, 09:31
Read my last comment (16 I think) in that bug. A title from an artist with multiple track artists is not a "Various Artists" compilation. Unfortunately Slim doesn't distinguish clearly enough between the two in the settings pages and this leads to user confusion.

The current "Compilation" is a "Various Artists" type. This is the type where you'd have Compilation set to 1. When you have a valid Album Artist the compilation tag should not be set, IMO.

There are currently a number of problems with the BAND(TPE2) and ARTIST ALBUM tag treatments. I have documented on issue in the following bug:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7698

I'd really appreciate some additional verification and votes to get this one fixed. It's critical to fix it so that the other one (which is the subject of this thread) can also be addressed.

I haven't yet filed bugs for some of the other less critical issues associated with these properties, such as when looking at the album's page through the web interface, albums with TPE2 will display both BAND/ORCHESTRA and ALBUMARTIST entries and then have a heading called "Track Artists" where it lists all the artists sequentially. Very strange looking (a mess).

My testing has been exclusively with MP3 files but there's a lot of overlap to other formats. Some issues may be from interpretation of what one tag for one format translates to in another. Such as BAND(TPE2) -> ALBUMARTIST. I also use iTunes to tag right now because there is nothing available for the Mac that is as good as even a mediocre tagger on Windows. When using Slim server together with iTunes, it would be nice to have it respect the original meaning of the tags in iTunes (TPE2 *IS* ALBUM ARTIST).

smc2911
2008-04-05, 15:14
I'm not seeing your out of order problem in my album listing. I have (almost exclusively) flac files.

jaffacake
2008-04-05, 15:35
Have you not considered applying tags per track, instead of per album?

e.g. if i have a 'various artists' album, and it has a track by an artist already in my collection, I choose to make those track compilation=0, all the others retain compilation=1.

So all the tracks by that artist appear under their name in the artist list, all the one track wonders remain hidden.

smc2911
2008-04-05, 15:50
Interesting approach...I suppose it should work for me as long as there is at least one track with the TRACKARTIST equal to the ALBUMARTIST. If I tag that one track with COMPILATION=0 that might just get the desired effect of putting the ALBUMARTIST in the artist list but not the TRACKARTISTs. I'll give it a try. Although, I do have one album, Larry Levan Live at the Paradise Garage, that would not be susceptible to this hack: ALBUMARTIST=Larry Levan but there he's not the track artist on any of the tracks.

smc2911
2008-04-05, 15:52
Actually, the same is true of the Lee Perry album in the original post: there is a track with TRACKARTIST=Lee Perry & The Upsetters, but none with just Lee Perry (which is the ALBUMARTIST).

JJZolx
2008-04-05, 15:56
Have you not considered applying tags per track, instead of per album?

e.g. if i have a 'various artists' album, and it has a track by an artist already in my collection, I choose to make those track compilation=0, all the others retain compilation=1.

So all the tracks by that artist appear under their name in the artist list, all the one track wonders remain hidden.

I'd expect that behavior to break some day. If you mean to hide albums on which the artist appears on only some tracks then I don't think that was ever intended. The COMPILATION tag really only has meaning for albums, not the tracks. That it might influence how the artist is categorized for individual tracks isn't that surprising, but certainly isn't documented or expected.

MrSinatra
2008-04-06, 00:29
all,

please see this thread, i think a flowchart is what we need:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=45876

jaffacake
2008-04-06, 02:15
I'd expect that behavior to break some day. If you mean to hide albums on which the artist appears on only some tracks then I don't think that was ever intended. The COMPILATION tag really only has meaning for albums, not the tracks. That it might influence how the artist is categorized for individual tracks isn't that surprising, but certainly isn't documented or expected.

Technically you could have 2 albums with the same name - one an artist album and one a compilation various hits album. The tracks would need to be indexed separately, so the tagging would have to work long term.

I guess everybody's needs are different. I personally exclusively use the AlbumArtist tag and on various artists albums I apply an AlbumArtist tag of "[Compilations]". On tracks that are performed by artists elsewhere in my collection, I tag them with that artist as the AlbumArtist. I effectively use it as a track artist tag.