PDA

View Full Version : Static IP: Incorrect Default Address?

Tobman
2008-04-04, 19:57
My SB3 was unable to automatically find an IP address, and I gather static is better anyway. So I am attempting to connect via a static IP address and have the following questions:

1. It is first asking for "The IP address of this player" which already has 169.254.081.030 entered. That is an invalid address, yes? How do I find the correct one?

2. The default gateway address is the same as the for my computers, yes (Mac)? 192.168.1.1

3. Then it asks for the IP address of the DNS server - how do I find that?

4. And lastly, how do I find the DHCP settings of my wireless router, which is a Hawking HWR54G? I have no manual as it was installed by my ISP.

Mnyb
2008-04-04, 21:40
1. a correct IP would be 192.168.1.X but not 192.168.1.1 which is our gateway.
Just pick one thats not in use by anything else.

edit: the allowed range is 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 but 1 and/or 254 can be occupied by the router.

Are you planning to set the rest of your network to fixed IP (recommended for the PC that has Squeezecenter on it) and turn off DHCP completely ? If not you might want adjust the DCHP range of your router, so that it won't hand out the addresses you have planned to use for fixed IP's

2. Default gateway is very likely 192.168.1.1 which would be the routers IP.

3. I would use the DNS' supplied by my ISP, with fixed IP's I set this on every device on my network (i don't use DHCP at all ). There may be other working answers to this ?

4 I don't know ? the setup menu should be on http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.1.254 for most routers i know about, just type this into your browser and see if some meny pop's up.

the default user is often admin and if you/or ISP has not set any password just hit enter or type admin as pass. If your router is password protected you should get this info from your ISP. If it's not protected you should do this yourself after you done your settings.

Hawkings has a home page, try to get a manual there

brucegrr
2008-04-04, 22:16
The setup for some westell or verizon routers can be 192.168.0.1

Tobman
2008-04-05, 07:49
There has got to be an easier more straight forward way to set the SB up. The answers you are giving me require an intimate knowledge of networks and IP addresses. I am just a hack and all I want to do is listen to my music on my stereo.

I have a Tivo box connected wirelessly to my router. It asked for the SSID and the encryption code, and that was it. I had it up and running in 5 minutes and it has never not worked.

Anyway, a few more question, as I continue to fumble along:

1. You said "Default gateway is very likely 192.168.1.1", but you also said in #1 above that that IP# is "our gateway". How can they be the same?

2. You said with respect to the DNS server "use the DNS' supplied by my ISP, with fixed IP's I set this on every device on my network" Can you give please me more guidance on this? How do I get the DNS's supplied by my ISP and what does "DNS" mean?

3. The setup is also asking for the IP address of the Slim Server, would that be 192.168.1.1?

Thanks!

danco
2008-04-05, 08:34
There has got to be an easier more straight forward way to set the SB up. The answers you are giving me require an intimate knowledge of networks and IP addresses. I am just a hack and all I want to do is listen to my music on my stereo.

I have a Tivo box connected wirelessly to my router. It asked for the SSID and the encryption code, and that was it. I had it up and running in 5 minutes and it has never not worked.

If your SB fails to connect automatically (as the Tivo does) after you have given it the SSID and encryption code, I think the most likely cause is a failure to connect properly to the network. And if that *is* the problem, the other suggestions won't help.

I would begin by double-checking the SSID, since that remains visible in clear text (I've ogt it wrong once through using lower case instead of upper case). If you are sure that is OK, I would then try with no encryption for a while, and see if you can connect.

And if that works, turn on encryption, delete the encryption key (I forget how this is done, it is easy but not obvious) or even go back to factory default and start all over again. Make sure you are using the right method of encryption and enter the key. A slip-up in the encryption key is quite a likely cause of problems.

You are right that setup should be easy, and it usually is.

However, if you do want to use a static address, you do need to know all those details that have been indicated to you, there's no way around it, they are what is needed for such a type of address.

MrJB
2008-04-05, 08:50
This may be an overly simplistic answer, however, the first time I set up my squeezebox it couldn't connect, and on the advice of tech support, I did a factory reset of the box, reentered the required info, and bingo - it connected. If you haven't tried this, I suggest you do. I believe the factory reset is accomplished by pressing and holding the 'Brightness' key, but you may want to double check that fact. Read your post because I was also thinking of going to fixed IP addresses for other reasons, but even as a former computer guy (Tandem NonStops) the internet process does seem a bit complex and user unfriendly. Not sure its worth the bother. Anyway, good luck.

Tobman
2008-04-05, 10:26
I'll try resetting, but can you also tell me please, how do I deactivate encryption?

The Sb unit says it has found my network, and indicates 70% signal strength, but then will not connect to SlimServer or SqueezeCenter, which I am guessing is because I am trying to do it with Static IP and entering the wrong IP addresses etc.

Also, I am curious about my encryption key. It is in 64 bit and the key that I was given by the ISP that installed my router is a 10 digit number followed by 3 zeros. For the Tivo box I entered all 13 digits, but the SB only has space for the first 10.

I'll keep trying.

Mark Lanctot
2008-04-10, 07:14
The Sb unit says it has found my network, and indicates 70% signal strength, but then will not connect to SlimServer or SqueezeCenter, which I am guessing is because I am trying to do it with Static IP and entering the wrong IP addresses etc.

Are you running both SlimServer and SqueezeCenter? Don't! Run SC.

Also check firewalls, they may not be giving SC permission to act as a server. Make sure SC is a "trusted" application both for your LAN (required) and for the Internet (optional, for SqueezeNetwork integration and checking for software updates).

Also, I am curious about my encryption key. It is in 64 bit and the key that I was given by the ISP that installed my router is a 10 digit number followed by 3 zeros. For the Tivo box I entered all 13 digits, but the SB only has space for the first 10.

Then enter 10.

Eric Seaberg
2008-04-10, 07:21
Also, there's really no advantage in making the PLAYER have a static address, just the SERVER. The player is the device that looks for the server, not the other way around, so keeping the player DHCP yet STATIC for the server is the easiest way to do it.

Once setup on the player, if it CAN'T find the server it will ask you to enter it's IP address one time. From that point on it will remember.

g'luck!!

Murph
2008-04-10, 07:39
Well if you have a super tight firewall, a static address on both will help simplify the rule involved. Also helps you having prevent having to hit a "Yes, I will allow this new address to talk to me." messages if you are running consumer simplified firewalls like zone alarm. It might ask this every time your player's IP changes.

Eric Seaberg
2008-04-10, 10:55
Well yeah, that's what I do, but my router sees my Transporter and SB3 MAC addresses and supplies their IP addresses as pre-determined static based on the MAC. It's a lot easier for me to do that on my router than individually in each player.

JimC
2008-04-10, 12:40
I see two separate problems here... last one first:

I'll keep trying.

If you can't enter all the digits for your key, you won't get very far. That's the first thing that needs to be addressed.

If the SB3 is limiting your text input to 10 characters, it thinks you are using 64-bit WEP encryption. Do you know the kind of encryption used? Maybe the SB3 was having a hard time detecting the type of encryption.

Following the 802.11 standard, the SB3 expects WEP keys to be entered in hexadecimal (numbers 0 to 9 and letters A to F only). A key for 64-bit WEP would be exactly 10 digits long. A key for 128-bit WEP would be exactly 26 digits long. WPA and WPA2 keys are 8 to 64 characters long, and can use alpha/numberic and some punctuation symbols.

First, please run one instance of SqueezeCenter only. I'm guessing your summary is a simply problem of nomenclature, and you really meant to say "will not connect to SlimServer or SqueezeNetwork." With the release of 7.0, we've renamed SlimServer to SqueezeCenter. If you really are running both SlimServer and SqueezeCenter locally, you shouldn't.

Assuming only one instance of SqueezeCenter is running, I can think of two possible causes here: the SB3 simply isn't connected properly or is being blocked from seeing the computer with SqueezeCenter.

Until we solve the encryption key issue, I'm nearly 100% certain the problem is the former. Once you can connect correctly and obtain an IP address from the DHCP server (which I recommend you START with... you can always change it to a static IP later), then you should be able to find SqueezeCenter.

If you can connect to the network, but not find a music source, the likely culprit is a firewall on the computer running SqueezeCenter. There's information on the wiki and in the manual on configuring firewalls, plus our technical support team is really pretty good at walking you through the process if you need some help.

-=> Jim