PDA

View Full Version : Dumb WHS SqueezeCenter install question

phicar2
2008-04-04, 06:00
OK, I know this is a stupid question but I just wanted to be clear. When people talk about remote desktop into their WHS to install SqueezeCenter are they talking about the built in Remote Access function of the WHS or are they talking about remote desktop in to the WHS not from the web interface of the WHS?

bonze
2008-04-04, 12:46
OK, I know this is a stupid question but I just wanted to be clear. When people talk about remote desktop into their WHS to install SqueezeCenter are they talking about the built in Remote Access function of the WHS or are they talking about remote desktop in to the WHS not from the web interface of the WHS?
Probably the Home Server Console.

Zaragon
2008-04-04, 14:37
When they are talking about the remote desktop they are talking about using the Remote Desktop Connection application. I believe it normally can be found in the accessory menu. This is different to the console which is started from the home server icon in the system tray.

The application basically connects your PC keyboard, mouse, disks etc to the WHS and copies the WHS screen to your local PC. When using the remote desktop you have to take care with the application that you use as it is possible to break WHS. Installing SqueezeCentre is OK though and it runs well. You will need to configure it to run as a service though as there is generally no one logged into the WHS.

phicar2
2008-04-04, 18:02
Got it, thanks. I remoted in and installed SC. It is rescanning my library now...love the new interface :-)

bonze
2008-04-05, 02:42
I didn't know you could get in to the WHS that way - only ever used the WHS Console....
Thanks for the advice, although it does seem a bit 'flaky' :)

MuckleEck
2008-04-05, 03:06
I didn't know you could get in to the WHS that way - only ever used the WHS Console....
Thanks for the advice, although it does seem a bit 'flaky' :)

Not sure what you mean by "flaky" I use the remote desktop into my WHS box a lot and find it rock solid, are you using it over a wireless or wired connection?...if wired what speed, I run at GigE and as I said it is solid. Running over wireless may not be so solid.

In addition, if you are using SC on the WHS make sure that all tagging/ripping is done on a different machine and that you don't edit the music files on the WHS box, I have had to re-rip a couple of CDs due to the "data corruption" bug, when using Foobar

bonze
2008-04-06, 02:34
Not sure what you mean by "flaky" I use the remote desktop into my WHS box a lot and find it rock solid, are you using it over a wireless or wired connection?...if wired what speed, I run at GigE and as I said it is solid. Running over wireless may not be so solid."flaky" as in the few times I used it yesterday - it crashed and locked me out of the WHS. I'm fully wired from the desktop to the WHS.
I'll stick with the Console for now :)

In addition, if you are using SC on the WHS make sure that all tagging/ripping is done on a different machine and that you don't edit the music files on the WHS box, I have had to re-rip a couple of CDs due to the "data corruption" bug, when using Foobar
Although I've never encountered the "data corruption" bug whilst retagging with Mp3tag, I now copy the files back and forth. (maybe as I only have one drive)

MuckleEck
2008-04-06, 14:55
"flaky" as in the few times I used it yesterday - it crashed and locked me out of the WHS. I'm fully wired from the desktop to the WHS.

Sensible man!

Although I've never encountered the "data corruption" bug whilst retagging with Mp3tag, I now copy the files back and forth. (maybe as I only have one drive)
Ah thereby lies a difference, I am using 7 disks...!!!!

Zaragon
2008-04-08, 07:03
"flaky" as in the few times I used it yesterday - it crashed and locked me out of the WHS. I'm fully wired from the desktop to the WHS.

Now the really interesting thing about that is that the console also uses the remote desktop, it is just limited to displaying the console application screen. You can get the same screen on the remote desktop from the icon on the desktop.

The remote desktop does give you more control when you start it up as for example you can bring WHS sound to the local PC and you can also use a local drive or CD/DVD drive as though it was on the WHs. The console has those disabled. It is possibly one of those that is causing the 'flaky' behaviour.

In general it's better to use the console anyway.

consciouspnm
2008-04-08, 07:42
The console is just the 'noddy' interface to the server. WHS is just a copy of Windows Server 2003 with some bits taken out and some other stuff added. If you want full control over it use MSTSC and remote desktop. There's no need to be physically in front of any windows server nowadays to manage it.