PDA

View Full Version : Love the controller , but always room for improvement..

Squeeze Me
2008-04-04, 02:42
Well I finally have my Squeezebox Duet and Receiver and I have to say that I am very happy, I think the new controller works very well. However, I did notice some improvements that I think could be made, it would be interesting to see what anyone else thinks of these:

1. It would be nice to be able to install your own wallpapers, although I guess that this is very likely in the future anyway.

2. It would be even nicer to be able to customise the menus. There are a number of options on there that I will never use, so it would be great to be able to remove them altogether.

3. I turned all the sound off on the controller, but it still plays the startup tune, being able to either change or get rid of that altogether would be a plus.

4. I like the menu system and the scroll wheel, but it can sometimes be a bit tricky when trying to move up or down just one entry in the menu. Don't know if this is even possible, but it would be useful when scrolling through menu items if the ff and rw buttons could move up or down one item in the menu.

Kim.T
2008-04-04, 03:18
my 0.02cent :
The batterycover is crerking/squeak when operating the remote (mentioned in the german forum) - which makes the remote fell like a cheap Chinese model

2: will be added in ver. 7.1

aubuti
2008-04-04, 06:40
Re (1), I haven't tried this, but I'm pretty sure you can do this now by simply copying the wallpaper to the SBC using scp. I'd look at what files are already in there to determine filetype, dimensions, etc.

Re (4), say you're scrolling while something is playing. How is SC7 to know that the FF or REW press is intended to move within the menu and not actually FF or REW? Anyway, I expect after a few hours with the SBC you'll do just fine with the scroll wheel alone.

Squeeze Me
2008-04-04, 07:01
Re (4), say you're scrolling while something is playing. How is SC7 to know that the FF or REW press is intended to move within the menu and not actually FF or REW? Anyway, I expect after a few hours with the SBC you'll do just fine with the scroll wheel alone.

I've had it a few days now but I still have trouble - maybe I'm just clumsy. Mind you, your point is correct, that is why I am not sure whether that wish could be achieved or not. I'm not technical enough to understand to be honest.

iPhone
2008-04-04, 08:46
my 0.02cent :
The batterycover is crerking/squeak when operating the remote (mentioned in the german forum) - which makes the remote fell like a cheap Chinese model

I am not having any problems. Could one be holding it to tight while one is fondling it? The battery cover should be removed once then installed until the battery needs replaced. Not much movement or wear and tear. BTW, if you look inside, you will indeed see that it IS made in China.

http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/sbduet.html

Siduhe
2008-04-04, 09:21
On wallpaper, it's not quite so straightforward as copying the image across, but can be done. See:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=44675

especially Post 5 (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=287378&postcount=5).

Kim.T
2008-04-04, 09:51
I am not having any problems. Could one be holding it to tight while one is fondling it? The battery cover should be removed once then installed until the battery needs replaced. Not much movement or wear and tear. BTW, if you look inside, you will indeed see that it IS made in China.

http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/sbduet.html
Look here : http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=45758 You don't need to hold the remote. Laying it on the table and pressing the cover creates a Squeaking sound

ds2021
2008-04-04, 10:26
2. It would be even nicer to be able to customise the menus. There are a number of options on there that I will never use, so it would be great to be able to remove them altogether.

I believe that there has been discussion of this being implemented in version 7.1.

Aspro
2008-04-04, 10:37
my 0.02cent :

Long time viewer of the forum... first time poster...

Agree with Kim.T - battery cover makes the remote feel a little cheap when in use... Iíve tried to pack it out with a small bit of cardboard, but still have the problem. May look to try and replace the foam pad on the back of the battery cover with slightly thicker denser foam?
Impressed with the weight and aesthetics of the remote charging stand though... in fact I think the remote itself would have benefitted from being slightly heavier itself.

Aspro

Kim.T
2008-04-04, 12:11
If you first get used to the weight of a remote from Bang&Olufsen and the quality it's hard to leave it on the table ;-)Therefore I would also have love some of the plastic replaced by some kind of metal.

JimC
2008-04-04, 13:45
Long time viewer of the forum... first time poster...

Agree with Kim.T - battery cover makes the remote feel a little cheap when in use... Iíve tried to pack it out with a small bit of cardboard, but still have the problem. May look to try and replace the foam pad on the back of the battery cover with slightly thicker denser foam?
Impressed with the weight and aesthetics of the remote charging stand though... in fact I think the remote itself would have benefitted from being slightly heavier itself.

Aspro

The sound is almost certainly caused by plastic rubbing against plastic. There's a stage during production where a lubricant is applied that should prevent that from happening (this is done for virtually any product where plastic contacts plastic). It is possible that this step was missed or not done properly.

You might want to try using a very small amount of mineral oil or petroleum jelly (i.e., Vaseline) on the battery door tabs and on the curved sides inside the battery compartment -- less is more here, to minimize dust collecting in the lubricant. If you have access to it, a silicon lubricant would be even better. Again, less is more.

For manufacturing, we use PTFE in an alcohol solution. It's applied to the surfaces and the alcohol evaporates, leaving the PTFE behind.

If that doesn't solve it, the screws (also found under the battery door cover), may need to be tightened a bit. Be careful doing this, as you can over-torque the screws and damage the screw bosses. You'll need a small philips-head screw driver. There are four screws, the ones near the middle of the Controller are the most likely culprits but you can try tightening all four.

-=> Jim

nickg1977
2008-04-05, 02:58
Hi all

First post, so please be kind!
Just wanted to say I got my Duet which arrived on Thursday from BT shop online. After reading this thread I went to check my controller. Can't make the battery cover creak or squeak at all (not that I want it to!).
Thought you might like to know as it might be a batch missed part of the manufacturing process?

Nick

Aspro
2008-04-05, 03:17
In my case itís not so much a creak or squeak, itís more of a feel of movement from what i believe is the battery cover when you handle the remote Ė it feels like the plastic battery cover has a slight give in it... Ė itís really noticeable when I use the remote, and was probable the first thing I noticed... and Iím not pressing to hard... even with a light hand I can feel the cover Ďgiveí...
Still, not a big deal... just distracts a little when using the remote.
Aspro

funkstar
2008-04-05, 05:18
Well I have to say, that until someone else picked up on the battery cover, I'd never felt any movement while using it, or had any concerns with it.

Even now though, It doesn't strike me as a problem.

During the beta program, there were coplaints that the cover was too tight (this was more of a problem because of the need to occationally remove the battery to hard re-set it etc.)

I really don't see it as a big deal :)

Hamlet
2008-04-05, 09:51
Slightly unrelated but since I got the Duet and a Harmony One remote at the same time, I just want to comment that the Duet Controller blows the Harmony away in terms of it's feel and aesthetics. Holding one in each hand makes the Harmony feel cheap by comparison. (Gee, how low on the remote food chain are the SB3 remotes ;-) So glad I wont be handling those much any more)

fireupthegrill
2008-04-05, 10:10
I am not having any problems. Could one be holding it too tight while one is fondling it? The battery cover should be removed once then installed until the battery needs replaced.

A squeaky battery cover is not user error.

daverich4
2008-04-05, 12:22
Any chance the scroll wheel could be made to go backwards when you're at the beginning of a list? That is, if I want to hear some Wilco and choose Artist, I have to start at 3 Doors Down and scroll and scroll and scroll through several hundred artists to get there. It would be nice if I could scroll up to get to the Z's and go backwards through the list from there.

-dave-

ModelCitizen
2008-04-05, 12:28
Any chance the scroll wheel could be made to go backwards when you're at the beginning of a list? That is, if I want to hear some Wilco and choose Artist, I have to start at 3 Doors Down and scroll and scroll and scroll through several hundred artists to get there. It would be nice if I could scroll up to get to the Z's and go backwards through the list from there.

You can. There is just an annoying delay before it starts. Unfortunately this is by design

MC

ncarver
2008-04-05, 13:14
My battery cover also moves and creaks, but it is only one side (near top). The other side doesn't compress at all when pressure is applied. Unfortunately, the side that creaks is the one that a right-hander will put pressure on when holding unit and pressing buttons with thumb--and I am right handed. It does get annoying that every time you press a button you get a creaking noise from the controller (and feel the battery door compress very slightly). Otherwise the remote seems excellent.

peter
2008-04-07, 00:10
ModelCitizen wrote:
> daverich4;287867 Wrote:
>
>> Any chance the scroll wheel could be made to go backwards when you're at
>> the beginning of a list? That is, if I want to hear some Wilco and
>> choose Artist, I have to start at 3 Doors Down and scroll and scroll
>> and scroll through several hundred artists to get there. It would be
>> nice if I could scroll up to get to the Z's and go backwards through
>> the list from there.
>>
>
> You can. There is just an annoying delay before it starts.
> Unfortunately this is by design
>

I think this is probably a good idea. It's very annoying & disorienting
when the list wraps too easily, I think they made the right choice here.

Regards,
Peter

Espen
2008-04-07, 00:50
My battery cover also moves and creaks, but it is only one side (near top). The other side doesn't compress at all when pressure is applied. Unfortunately, the side that creaks is the one that a right-hander will put pressure on when holding unit and pressing buttons with thumb--and I am right handed. It does get annoying that every time you press a button you get a creaking noise from the controller (and feel the battery door compress very slightly). Otherwise the remote seems excellent.

Same experience here. Seems to be a slight design flaw. I also have a
Harmony 555 and in my view its quality is far better (rubber grip and
solid). I normally prefer a rubber grip on the remote, not a glossy
finish (as on the Duet) as the former is more resistant to wear and tear.
Would probably make the remote more expensive, but I think I would
accept that.

Harmony 555 http://urbangiraffe.com/images/review/logitech-555/angle-view.jpg

Sike
2008-04-07, 02:43
Have had my Duet for nearly 2 weeks now. My only problem is that if you use it with dry hands, the wheel does not move properly. I.e. while scrolling it suddenly stops and i have to press a bit harder.. This will probably get better with use..

A great feature would be: While scrolling thorugh artists/folders/etc if the SR would start to scroll through the letters... if you have a couple of thouthand artists it takes a while to get to 'S'.. (A certain fruit flavoured devices does this.)

BTW: No creaking here from the battery compartment