PDA

View Full Version : Spam PMs

Patrick Dixon
2008-04-04, 00:54
Any chance the forum administrators could do something to prevent spam by Private Message?

Maybe prevent people sending PMs until they have a minimum number of forum posts - which is a common approach on other forums.

max.spicer
2008-04-04, 01:09
Any chance the forum administrators could do something to prevent spam by Private Message?

Maybe prevent people sending PMs until they have a minimum number of forum posts - which is a common approach on other forums.

Yes, that would be helpful. It doesn't happen often, but I've had a few of these and it is a tad irritating.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I want to have to close one eye, turn my head through ninety degrees and unfocus the other eye in order to work out the "word" that is hidden in an image before posting. ;-)

Max

mherger
2008-04-04, 01:10
> Any chance the forum administrators could do something to prevent spam
> by Private Message?

You're getting PMs by people who only just subscribed? I'm glad I've turned off PM for myself then...

Feel free to file a bug report ;-). I'll let Matt know about this issue. Thanks!

> Maybe prevent people sending PMs until they have a minimum number of
> forum posts - which is a common approach on other forums.

That might be the reason why we're seeing an increased number of postings which do not seem to be spam, but quite often fully out of context, upping the user's posting count. :-(

--

Michael

bpa
2008-04-04, 01:25
I've got a few of these as well. Not commercial SPAM message but message about problems, nothing user confidential which should have been posted on the forum.

I don't like discouraging user queries so I usually push them to start a public thread - some do, some don't.

max.spicer
2008-04-04, 02:47
I've got a few of these as well. Not commercial SPAM message but message about problems, nothing user confidential which should have been posted on the forum.

I don't like discouraging user queries so I usually push them to start a public thread - some do, some don't.

No, the ones I'm talking about are purely spam. Here's an example:

Hello max.spicer, I am nee to the forum and I just want to step up to say hello.

================================================== =========

Visit my site! http://www.[urlremoved to prevent advertising it]

It would be nice to have a report abuse button at the bottom of PMs.

Max

radish
2008-04-04, 07:06
Yeah, I get a lot of those too. At first I thought they were people being genuinely friendly...then I figured it out :)

max.spicer
2008-04-04, 14:31
Here's another timely example:

freegamexprt
freegamexprt is on a distinguished road

Default Hi [Name}
I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hello.
I look forward to hanging out here.

Visit My Site
http://[not going to advertise it!]

I particularly like the [Name} bit - good bit of coding there! It would be good not to get these though!

Max

jth
2008-05-07, 09:49
These have become more frequent in the last 2-3 months. Not enough to really
be a problem, but I thought I'd chime in.