View Full Version : at wits end - ready to return

davec67
2008-04-03, 22:52
macbook pro
duet
squeezecenter 7
all wireless

everything works fine. everything connects, music plays, everyone is happy

However I take this macbook laptop to work and I want it to make the duet work with a windows XP laptop that is always home.

Downloaded and installed squeezecenter 7 on the XP laptop. Everything else is the same. Same wireless hub, duet etc.

Power down macbook, take it out of the picture. Duet controller goes a bit wierd but lets leave that for now.

Turn on the PC, SC appears to run fine, no errors reported. However it cannot see player and the duet controller cannot see it. Even if I put its IP address into the duet controller as the music source ip it can not see it. Tried rebooting pc numbers of times, refreshing SC pages etc. Restarted both player and duet controller. Played around with various combinations of restarting etc. PC can never see player and duet controller can never see the PC

However and this is the confusing part, if I reset the player and controller and select squeezenetwork for the player. Squeeze network works fine, and if I then switch off the controller by holding down the home button the PC SEES THE player. It can connect, asks me if I want to switch from squeezenetwork I can select music from the PC, play it everything works EXCEPT the duet controller is out of the game. No matter what I do it will not find the player or the PC, even if I put in the PC's ip address for the music source. If I turn the PC off the duet controller can see the payer again.

what on earth is going on? If I can connect and play music from the PC I presume that all the wirewall settings (which is completely off by the way), hub settings, pc settings are ok.

At any time if I turn my macbook back on the whole duet system works fine (but picks up the macbook not the PC) so I presume the duet hardware is ok.

any suggestions on how to fix it or is it liable to be very complicated and so time consuming that I should just give up now and return the thing?

smc2911
2008-04-03, 23:11
Have you got any firewalls on the PC?

davec67
2008-04-03, 23:16
windows firewall is not running. No other firewalls installed

Echo
2008-04-03, 23:20
After taking the macbook out of the equation, try powering down all devices including the wireless router.

Skunk
2008-04-03, 23:23
Downloaded and installed squeezecenter 7 on the XP laptop. Everything else is the same. Same wireless hub, duet etc.

What brand is the router? I was having problems similar to yours using a Zyxel, which is known to be buggy. Giving the Receiver and Controller a fixed IP solved most if not all of my issues.

davec67
2008-04-03, 23:27
ok did that, now nothing works. Do I need to turn them back on ?

:-) only kidding. Tried it, same behavior, no change.

davec67
2008-04-03, 23:28
the router is a linksys wrt54g v8 with most recent firmware

Echo
2008-04-03, 23:35
Tried it, same behavior, no change.

It's possible that the controller doesn't like having to figure out more than one server IP address. Try doing a factory reset on the controller and then try to connect to the XP server.

davec67
2008-04-04, 07:20
tried reseting everything, including full powerdowns, factory reset for all components - player, controller and pc. See same behavior regardless

Pale Blue Ego
2008-04-04, 07:59
Why not run both instances of Squeezecenter, then change the player over to the XP Squeezecenter before powering down the Mac?

davec67
2008-04-04, 09:35
because the controller can never see the PC squeezecenter - no matter what I do.

However the player can see the PC but only when the controller is off ( and I presume the macbook is off but haven't tried the combination with macbook on, controller off yet)

Ramage
2008-04-04, 11:16
because the controller can never see the PC squeezecenter - no matter what I do.

However the player can see the PC but only when the controller is off ( and I presume the macbook is off but haven't tried the combination with macbook on, controller off yet)

Have you got an IP conflict between the PC and the controller?

Accessing your router admin should show you which IPs are being allocated if you are using DHCP. It would be advisable to assign fixed IPs.

Zaragon
2008-04-04, 14:49
I'd suggest starting with some basic network connectivity checks. From the XP try ping to the other devices, the router, the Mac, the receiver and the controller. Try the same thing from the mac. If you have the facility on the router I'd also try it from the router. All should work, if any fail then that needs to be sorted out first as it could stop the devices talking to each other.

It may be obvious but all devices should have different IP addresses and if they don't then that will cause problems.

davec67
2008-04-04, 16:20
I'd suggest starting with some basic network connectivity checks. From the XP try ping to the other devices, the router, the Mac, the receiver and the controller. Try the same thing from the mac. If you have the facility on the router I'd also try it from the router. All should work, if any fail then that needs to be sorted out first as it could stop the devices talking to each other.

It may be obvious but all devices should have different IP addresses and if they don't then that will cause problems.

How do I test connectivity to the controller, do I just get its IP from the router and do the standard ping command? Is there anything else I should test - can I ssh or something like that.

I know the pc can see the mac and player already but I have not tried the controller. It is possible that the router is giving a bad ip to one or the other but I have never seen that happen before and I have had many things connected to the router - iphone, 2 macs, wii, xp, other windows desktop - all work fine with no issues up until now.

davec67
2008-04-04, 18:56
I'm looking in my router at the dhcp clients list and I see two entries that are blank (no name) I presume that they are the controller and the player. How do I tell them apart - or put another way how do I find the IP of either?

EFP
2008-04-04, 19:12
Do those two entries have the MAC addresses listed?
The Receiver should start with 00:04:20:16
and the Controller should start with 00:04:20:1A

davec67
2008-04-04, 19:17
checked that the XP laptop can ping everything connected on my router. Checked that the router can ping everything. No IP's are duplicated.

Also checked that no ports around 9000 were used by anything else. Nothing is.

So what next should I check