Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jallison
    • Aug 2005

Empty playlists after music move with iTunes

I recently moved my music files to a NAS device. SlimServer can see and play all the music fine, but all of the playlists are empty. I use iTunes to manage my music, and in iTunes the playlists show up as expected. I searched around and found this thread <http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=45198&highlight=itunes+playlists> , in which JDB says

I figured it out, searched the support pages and found the
    answer, the basic settings page should be left blank if you
    are using iTunes to manage your library. Point SC to where
    your iTunes xml file and music files are and it works like
    a charm.

JDB

Sounds good, but I'm not sure what is meant by "Point SC to whree your iTunes xml file and music files are." How do you point it? I've always had "use iTunes" selected, which is supposed to mean no need to specify a location for music files, right? And in my case the iTunes xml file and the music files are in different locations.

I've rebuilt the database, but still no playlists. Anyone have any ideas here?

Thanks.

- Jeff
  • jaffacake
    • Jan 2006

As the guy in the other thread did, you should read the support pages.

I clicked the "wiki" link at the top of this page and found this posting...

Seems to answer your query quite well.
    Ben - eco conscious techie and author of Jaffa's Green Blog - http://www.jaffacake.net

Comment

• Siduhe
      • Jun 2005

See the below post - moving your music (and presumably .xml file?) onto a different drive may have caused this. What happens if you copy the .xml file to the same drive as Slimserver/Squeezecenter is installed on?

Who am I on LAST.FM?
      "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

Comment

• jallison
        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by jaffacake
        As the guy in the other thread did, you should read the support pages.

I clicked the "wiki" link at the top of this page and found this posting...

Seems to answer your query quite well.
        Not so much. Surprisingly, I actually had looked through that information and tried those suggestions. They seem more geared to "my playlists don't show up", which is not actually my problem. My playlists show up, but they are empty.

Originally posted by Siduhe
        See the below post - moving your music (and presumably .xml file?) onto a different drive may have caused this. What happens if you copy the .xml file to the same drive as Slimserver/Squeezecenter is installed on?

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...tunes+playlist
        I moved the music, but the xml file is in the same old place (C:\Documents and Settings\...\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music Library.xml). This is the same system and drive where Slimserver is running (and has been for years!). I'm sure this is an artifact of moving the music and getting the iTunes and SS databases out of sync, but I can't figure out how to resync them.

Thanks for the inputs.

- Jeff

Comment

• Siduhe
          • Jun 2005

Sorry if this is grandmother sucking eggs, but have you done a full clear and rescan? Maybe try a playlist only rescan just to check?

I would definitely check that the .xml file is the right one. Itunes does create new .xml files without telling you. Locate the file and look at the timestamp - make a change in Itunes and close down - check the timestamp has changed.

Final idea - stop Slimserver and delete the contents of the cache folder. Will force Slimserver to rebuild a database from scratch - then start Slimserver up again.
          Who am I on LAST.FM?
          "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

Comment

• jaffacake
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by jallison
            Not so much. Surprisingly, I actually had looked through that information and tried those suggestions. They seem more geared to "my playlists don't show up", which is not actually my problem. My playlists show up, but they are empty.
            You asked how to point it, the link tells you how.

I moved the music, but the xml file is in the same old place (C:\Documents and Settings\...\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music Library.xml). This is the same system and drive where Slimserver is running (and has been for years!). I'm sure this is an artifact of moving the music and getting the iTunes and SS databases out of sync, but I can't figure out how to resync them.

Thanks for the inputs.

- Jeff
            How did you move the music? Within iTunes itself? Or by closing iTunes and moving it manually?
            Ben - eco conscious techie and author of Jaffa's Green Blog - http://www.jaffacake.net

Comment

• jallison
              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Siduhe
              Sorry if this is grandmother sucking eggs, but have you done a full clear and rescan? Maybe try a playlist only rescan just to check?

I would definitely check that the .xml file is the right one. Itunes does create new .xml files without telling you. Locate the file and look at the timestamp - make a change in Itunes and close down - check the timestamp has changed.

Final idea - stop Slimserver and delete the contents of the cache folder. Will force Slimserver to rebuild a database from scratch - then start Slimserver up again.
              Deleting the cache solved the problem. Although I did have to do the rescan with the server running in a command window rather than as a service. Not sure what the difference is. Thanks for the hints.

- Jeff

Comment

Working...