PDA

View Full Version : Split hardware comparison wiki?

Mark Lanctot
2008-04-02, 10:47
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?HardwareComparison

It's getting very, very wide and the primary purpose of the chart, comparing models using the same criteria, is becoming harder and harder because you can't see the first column.

To address this and to accommodate new products should it be split up into two pages, "Discontinued models" and "Current models"? This would make comparing new and old harder but that's compromised already as I indicated above.

SteveEast
2008-04-02, 11:04
I was just looking at the chart this morning - it still fits on my 1600x1200 monitor.

Steve.

Mark Lanctot
2008-04-02, 11:13
Umm...not everyone has 1600 X 1200 monitors.

And the chart will only get wider.

JJZolx
2008-04-02, 11:14
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?HardwareComparison

It's getting very, very wide and the primary purpose of the chart, comparing models using the same criteria, is becoming harder and harder because you can't see the first column.

To address this and to accommodate new products should it be split up into two pages, "Discontinued models" and "Current models"? This would make comparing new and old harder but that's compromised already as I indicated above.

Isn't the old wiki frozen while the new one is being worked on? Whatever happened to that project? I thought it was supposed to happen a couple weeks ago.

Mark Lanctot
2008-04-02, 11:20
Isn't the old wiki frozen while the new one is being worked on? Whatever happened to that project? I thought it was supposed to happen a couple weeks ago.

Looks to be open and editable now, but it appears the same as before. I thought there was going to be a formatting change?

bklaas
2008-04-02, 11:22
because of that chart's design, products in columns, features in rows, it would be a rather hellish exercise to have to migrate a column from "current products" to "discontinued products" whenever a product reaches end-of-life.

Regardless, let's wait until the migration to mediawiki is complete before addressing this.

cheers,
#!/ben

JJZolx
2008-04-02, 11:23
Looks to be open and editable now, but it appears the same as before. I thought there was going to be a formatting change?

It was going to be entirely new wiki software, not just a format change. I'm looking forward to seeing a wiki with real search capability.

JimC
2008-04-03, 18:02

The kwiki-to-mediawiki migration tool just didn't work. None of the links came over, the formatting was a disaster, and it was simply too broken to use. We've got some of our engineers looking at fixing the translator right now... not sure where they are at with that, but we'll migrate as soon as possible.

-=> Jim