PDA

View Full Version : When will the Duet be available for purchase in Australia

egd
2008-04-02, 04:45
Spoken with the distributor and it seems even they cannot get a straight answer out of Logitech. What gives?

egd
2008-04-02, 19:30
bump...

Hoping someone from Logitech can shed some light on this...?

smc2911
2008-04-02, 20:46
I posted here (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=286696&postcount=19) about my efforts to track down a date for the Duet in Australia. Quick version: not much luck!

egd
2008-04-03, 12:21
Guess we won't be getting a response here or anywhere else then. I think I'll be cancelling my back orders, this has become a bit of a joke.

Apteryx
2008-04-03, 14:53
Not quite Australia, but I've ordered mine directly from the local NZ distributor and their ETA is 7th April. No indications as yet that this date will not be met, but I guess I'll know after the weekend.

smc2911
2008-04-03, 17:30
Just managed to get onto someone else in Logitech. They tell me that the Duet will not be available in Australia until late May or possibly early June. The explanation was time taken to meet Australian safety standards testing requirements. Another interesting fact I learned was that Logitech does not actually trade in Australia, so the $599 price for the Duet on the Logitech site is purely indicative as you cannot purchase products directly from Logitech over here.

Apteryx
2008-04-03, 18:03
That's true of NZ as well - they operate via a distributor and the listed price of $699 from Logitech is just the RRP - retailers would presumably arrive at their own price, when they can get the product. (The buy price from the distributor allows a good deal of room for them to manoeuvre if they want to). Hope we don't get caught by the same testing issues!

smc2911
2008-04-08, 20:25
Not quite Australia, but I've ordered mine directly from the local NZ distributor and their ETA is 7th April. No indications as yet that this date will not be met, but I guess I'll know after the weekend.So, did it arrive in NZ?

Apteryx
2008-04-09, 02:13
Hmmmm - according to my procurement person - "Unfortunately the ETA has been delayed to end of May. Iíve checked with another supplier and they said their container is arriving this week hence you can expect delivery by next."

Not sure if I believe any of them at this point!

smc2911
2008-04-09, 02:17
Sounds like your in the same boats as your cousins across the ditch then!

whatboutbob
2008-04-10, 01:27
Is anyone else ridiculously impatient for these things to arrive in Oz? Spoke w/ Logitech last week and the woman was surprised that i was the 4th caller about that product just that day. Sounds like it is going to be early June @ best.

smc2911
2008-04-10, 03:13
I would have been one of the 4!

KeyzerSuze
2008-04-10, 03:29
silly question but what does the duet do.

I have a squeezebox and a linux box that is on all the time (plus another pc that is connected to a set speakers that has squeezeslave).

What does duet give me

a wireless remote control
and another device that connects to amp and speaker ?
does it need to talk to a squeezecenter as well ?

Alex

oilbull
2008-04-10, 03:34
Why not import one from the US via Ebay?

Is it going to be any different, ie wireless incompatible etc?

smc2911
2008-04-10, 03:34
a wireless remote control
and another device that connects to amp and speaker ?
does it need to talk to a squeezecenter as well ?Yes, yes and yes. Assuming you connect to the same squeezecenter you can also sync the player with your existing squeezebox. The Duet comprises Controller and Receiver. The Receiver has no display (unlike the Squeezebox Classic) as you have a display (album art included!) on the wifi receiver. Since the receiver is wifi, no need for line of site to the Receiver to control it. Nice!

egd
2008-04-10, 04:53
Wouldn't it be nice if SOMEONE FROM LOGITECH would take the time and trouble shed some light on this rather than pretend this thread doesn't exist...

smc2911
2008-04-10, 04:57
Why not import one from the US via Ebay?

Is it going to be any different, ie wireless incompatible etc?Like Slimdevices themselves, Amazon won't ship the Squeezebox to Australia and although eBay says "Ships to United States, Europe, Canada, Australia, Mexico, Japan", on the shipping form only the US is available in the drop-down box. Then there is also the issue of the power plug...http://www.kropla.com/!i.htm

oilbull
2008-04-10, 07:21
The power plug is not a problem, my 7yr old (daughter) can manage that.

It's the issue of the wireless compatibility that is beyond my ken.

And plenty of EBay vendors will ship to Australia.

Come now nerds, is there a regional firmware compatibility issue or is it a spurious argument?

My private line is open if you don't want to spill trade secrets.

whatboutbob
2008-04-10, 07:39
I did seriously consider importing one. I don't believe wireless compatibility would be an issue however I'm more concerned with warranty support.

smc2911
2008-04-10, 16:47
The power plug is not a problem, my 7yr old (daughter) can manage that.Point taken. Maybe I'm a bit fastidious, but I'd prefer not to mutilate the nice cord and don't really have the space at the wall wart for an adapter, so I'd prefer an original Aussie plug. Mind you, given the design of the plug for the SBR, it may be possible to buy the Australian plug separately as the plug piece slides off.

jim7777777
2008-04-20, 05:44
Anyone heard anything more on Oz availability?

I'm really keen to pick one up...

oilbull
2008-04-20, 05:45
Not a whisper

pufnstuf
2008-04-20, 20:40
Anyone heard anything more on Oz availability?

I'm really keen to pick one up...

www.wickeddigital.com.au is quoting mid-May now for Australian availability.

I couldn't wait any longer, so I purchased mine from the US. :-)

I love it! It's been the perfect addition to my Transporter and SB3.

SumnerBoy
2008-04-21, 02:10
I couldn't wait any longer, so I purchased mine from the US. :-)

How did you manage to pull that off? Thought you couldn't buy them through the US website anymore? Or do you have someone in the US that you can get it delivered to?

Apteryx
2008-04-21, 02:24
I'm now hearing 7th May, but I'm a bit short on trust now...

egd
2008-04-21, 22:59
Thought you couldn't buy them through the US website anymore? Or do you have someone in the US that you can get it delivered to?The geniuses at Logitech have now configured their online store such that you cannot order anything from SD/ Logitech's online store if you're using an Australian card, doesn't matter what you select as delivery address. This is a good example of internal channel BS resulting in angry customers and lost sales. To top it off, SD/ Logitech don't appear to be prepared to even discuss the issue. You're screwed too if you're looking for spare remotes etc. because Logitech AU doesn't stock them, Logitech US won't let you buy them, and support won't discuss it. WTF, how screwed up is that!

oilbull
2008-04-22, 03:22
They are a dime a dozen on Ebay but my concern is whether you can access Rhapsody thru one. I tried to subscribe using a USA address, correspondent, but the site would not close for me so no deal.

Can anyone confirm access to US streaming stuff?

pufnstuf
2008-04-22, 04:23
How did you manage to pull that off? Thought you couldn't buy them through the US website anymore? Or do you have someone in the US that you can get it delivered to?

Purchased new on EBay lads...

I could not activate the Rhapsody 30 Day Trial that came in the box, I think it may have detected my Aussie IP address.

You will love the Controller when you get it, because it really brings it all together. Like the final piece of a puzzle.

Cheers!

egd
2008-04-22, 06:53
They are a dime a dozen on Ebay but my concern is whether you can access Rhapsody thru one. I tried to subscribe using a USA address, correspondent, but the site would not close for me so no deal.

Can anyone confirm access to US streaming stuff?
I know of a few Australian Sonos users accessing Rhapsody, albeit it sounds like they're using a US based proxy through which they're able to get access. Without resorting to simlar means I doubt you'd be able to get access.

whatboutbob
2008-04-22, 07:18
I got impatient too and ordered mine off ebay last Monday. Arrived today. Took a little while to get it set up with my probably over-zealous wlan settings, but boy was it worth the effort.

smc2911
2008-04-22, 19:45
I know of a few Australian Sonos users accessing Rhapsody, albeit it sounds like they're using a US based proxy through which they're able to get access. Without resorting to simlar means I doubt you'd be able to get access.As I understand it, like Pandora, Rhapsody do filter IP addresses to access the website and sign-up, etc, but, unlike Slacker, do not filter IP addresses for the radio streams. Make of that what you will.

SumnerBoy
2008-04-23, 02:59
As I understand it, like Pandora, Rhapsody do filter IP addresses to access the website and sign-up, etc, but, unlike Slacker, do not filter IP addresses for the radio streams. Make of that what you will.

I have heard of SB users living in NZ that can access Pandora from their own IP addresses. They just had to setup their account using a US based proxy - i.e. I think Pandora happily accepted a Kiwi credit card as long as it was entered from a US IP address (the proxy).

Not sure about Rhapsody though.

smc2911
2008-04-23, 03:23
I have heard of SB users living in NZ that can access Pandora from their own IP addresses. They just had to setup their account using a US based proxy - i.e. I think Pandora happily accepted a Kiwi credit card as long as it was entered from a US IP address (the proxy).Exactly. This applies to Rhapsody and Pandora but not Slacker.

smc2911
2008-04-30, 19:00
Now that we're into May, has anyone heard any more about Australian availability?

Musketeer
2008-04-30, 21:33
I got my Squeezebox 3 from PDS who are based in Sydney:

http://www.primedigitalsystems.com/index.php?cPath=30&osCsid=5daad3a5a54fe337946d61b75d310da8

They don't stock the duet yet, but it is listed and their prices tend to be fair.

I'm happy with my SB3 for now.

japsa1974
2008-05-02, 17:28
Straight from mrgadget.com.au

"This product will be in stock on Monday 05 May, 2008." I have had one on order since early April with Hardly Normal.....Happy to take my money too,

They have been nothing but useless on follow up.!

egd
2008-05-02, 18:40
based on what retail pricing in au is likely to be you'd be better off bypassing the local supply chain altogether and ordering via Amazon.com or eBay. Even after shipping, you'll still be landing them cheaper.

smc2911
2008-05-02, 23:36
based on what retail pricing in au is likely to be you'd be better off bypassing the local supply chain altogether and ordering via Amazon.com or eBay. Even after shipping, you'll still be landing them cheaper.

Amazon won't ship to Australia, but a number of vendors on eBay will.

kevine
2008-05-04, 18:59
I'm a little wary of ordering from OS as depending on how they ship, you can be hit with a customs handling/clearance fee ($50 AU)- it happened to a mate who ordered a squeezebox - also seems more likely if delivery is via international courier.

Given the likely street price will be around $500AU or less, $399 US + shipping + exchange rate + potentially being slugged by customs, I don't see sourcing from the US as an obvious win on value - your mileage may vary of course.

Then again, if you can't wait.....

egd
2008-05-05, 15:04
Well, I've gone ahead and placed an order for delivery to a mate's place via Amazon.com. I'll be in NY in two weeks time so I'll be bringing it back myself. Beats the crap out of 1) waiting and 2) being ripped off (AUD is almost at parity with the USD).

pfarrell
2008-05-05, 15:11
egd wrote:
> Well, I've gone ahead and placed an order for delivery to a mate's place
> via Amazon.com. I'll be in NY in two weeks time so I'll be bringing it
> back myself. Beats the crap out of 1) waiting and 2) being ripped off
> (AUD is almost at parity with the USD).

Just make sure you plug it in at your mate's place.
Then you can tell the customs guy that its "used"

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

egd
2008-05-05, 16:00
egd wrote:[color=blue]Just make sure you plug it in at your mate's place. Then you can tell the customs guy that its "used"Imports are duty free to $1000. The only question I don't know the answer to is whether or not I've exceeded that once taking all my CD's into account. It's been a little wild on Amazon.com lately - I suspect I've at least 35 CD's waiting for me at his place. I may have to rip them all there and leave some behind for someone else to collect on a return trip.

iPhone
2008-05-05, 19:34
Spoken with the distributor and it seems even they cannot get a straight answer out of Logitech. What gives?

I believe the correct answer to this question is:
When one sees them on the shelf at the local dealers!

Hopefully, sooner rather then later. I can tell you something I learned from a stateside distributor. They have sold out the first two shipments to their retailers (one just last week) and are begging for more and were told they would not be getting anymore until the end of May. If the states retail dealers have to wait, I would beleive it could not be more then a trickle going overseas. Hopefully since China is closer to AU then the States (is that correct, across versus down), some might just show up down under. Just my opinion though.

japsa1974
2008-05-05, 19:56
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have just been told that I will have my Duet in my hot little hand by this Friday !!!! I will keep you posted

Cheers

egd
2008-05-06, 02:29
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have just been told that I will have my Duet in my hot little hand by this Friday !!!! I will keep you posted

Cheers

Had confirmation they should be with the distributor on Thursday. Heh, I won't be here anyhow.

japsa1974
2008-05-10, 00:33
All,

My Squeezebox duet arrived on the 9th May - Friday!!!

Cheers

Apteryx
2008-05-11, 21:21
...finally got mine today

lhmperth
2008-05-21, 20:50
I bought the Duet here in Australia from www.ibuy.com.au. Quick delivery. The Duet is great. It has increased my use greatly from the older SB3.

However, I now want to put some more Squeezebox receivers around the house (no need for an additional controller). Does anyone know when they will be available in Australia to be bought separately? I see they are not listed on the Australian Logitech website.

oilbull
2008-05-22, 01:31
Have you guys who are early adaptors been able to access US streaming service such as Rhapsody and Pandora?

lhmperth
2008-06-24, 10:00
I bought the Duet here in Australia from www.ibuy.com.au. Quick delivery. The Duet is great. It has increased my use greatly from the older SB3.

However, I now want to put some more Squeezebox receivers around the house (no need for an additional controller). Does anyone know when they will be available in Australia to be bought separately? I see they are not listed on the Australian Logitech website.

I am still hanging out to buy two extra Receivers in Australia, however it appears they are not on sale here. I love my Duet and will easily put two or three Receivers into the house. Are they coming as separate items to Australia? If not, I guess I will just have to buy some more SB3s, which is a shame :-(

c0utta
2008-06-26, 18:44
I'm not affiliated with these guys at all, but their price of $490 seems reasonable:

http://www.shoppingsquare.com.au/product.php?id=4195

For those who swear by their SB3s:

http://www.shoppingsquare.com.au/product.php?id=2265

$219 is a great price.

Cheers,

c0utta

redgum
2008-06-30, 04:32
Whilst I haven't used it, good things are posted on the Whirlpool site about www.priceusa.com.au

Could be good way to get those squeezebox receivers....

johnduley
2008-06-30, 19:15
If anyone in Australia's interested, I'm selling my Squeezebox Duet receiver here:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330248287200&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=014