PDA

View Full Version : accesspoint advice needed (repeat mode)

SwannySB
2008-03-31, 11:12
Hi there,

Since i don't have much experience with networking i need some advice on configuring my Duet setup.

I have a Dlink DWL-G700AP accesspoint connected to my pc. Since this device can't cover my whole house i installed another accesspoint somewhere else in the house (also a Dlink DWL-G700AP set as repeater, not wired)
Now my problem. Everything works fine when my duet is connected to the main accesspoint (the one that is wired to the swithch -> pc), but once i get out of reach and the duet switches to the other accesspoint then my duetremote doesn't communicates anymore with the player or squeezecenter.

anyone an idea whats going wrong ?

thanks in advance

estocks
2008-03-31, 11:59
Does your laptop work from the repeater?

DVB
2008-03-31, 18:22
Are you sure that wireless switchover on SBC is taking place? If I'm not mistaken, someone from Logitech mentioned before that access point roaming is not yet supported.

/DVB

JimC
2008-03-31, 22:01
Hi there,

Since i don't have much experience with networking i need some advice on configuring my Duet setup.

I have a Dlink DWL-G700AP accesspoint connected to my pc. Since this device can't cover my whole house i installed another accesspoint somewhere else in the house (also a Dlink DWL-G700AP set as repeater, not wired)
Now my problem. Everything works fine when my duet is connected to the main accesspoint (the one that is wired to the swithch -> pc), but once i get out of reach and the duet switches to the other accesspoint then my duetremote doesn't communicates anymore with the player or squeezecenter.

anyone an idea whats going wrong ?

thanks in advance

Are you certain the second Dlink is in access point mode and isn't providing a separate DHCP server? You'll want the first Dlink acting as the router and the second as the access point. The router should be the only DHCP server on the network, otherwise, when the Controller connects to the AP (not the router) you may end up on a different network segment.

Check the IP address of SqueezeCenter (Settings > Status) and the IP address of the Controller when it's connected to the AP (Settings > Advanced > Wireless Networks > your network name). The IP addresses should be in the same range... if you're unsure, post them here (along with the subnet mask) and we can help verify they are on the same segment.

If they are on the same segment, can you connect a computer to the AP and still get access to the internet / rest of your network? If you can't, then there's probably a routing problem somewhere between the AP and the router -- maybe the gateway isn't set correctly, or there's a problem with the routing tables.

-=> Jim