PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to Squeeze Center?

NeilF
2008-03-31, 06:00
I'm running Slimserver 6.5.4...

Now, the installation (for me) went so smoothly that basically I just put the software on all those months ago, have added a few plugins and that's it...

The way it should be I guess :)

I've just happened to notice now there's "Squeeze Center 7" which replaces Slim Server?

Is there any particular reason for me to upgrade? ie: Any interesting feature to your average/casual user?

If the answer is yes, is the install straight forward? ie: Do I need to reconfigure everything again and put all the plugins in again? or do you just install over the top, job done!?

Cheers!

funkstar
2008-03-31, 06:07
The plugin system has been changed, so new plugins will be required. I belive that most, if not all the common ones have been ported across now.

Other than that, installation _should_ pick up your previous settings and migrate them over.

Here is the Change log for SC7 over 6.5.4:
http://www.slimdevices.com/changelog7.html

PhilNYC
2008-03-31, 06:17
I've just happened to notice now there's "Squeeze Center 7" which replaces Slim Server?

Is there any particular reason for me to upgrade? ie: Any interesting feature to your average/casual user?

I think that the web interface for SqueezeCenter 7 is far more friendly and intuitive than previous versions....

NeilF
2008-03-31, 06:24
I think that the web interface for SqueezeCenter 7 is far more friendly and intuitive than previous versions....

Very very rarely use the web interface (console?)...

I use the Squeezebox basically for:-
- just playing music (who'd figure :))
- using a weather plugin to show the weather forecast when off
- very rarely listen to radio
- BUT would like to use pandora, but don't want to pay :)