PDA

View Full Version : iPeng vs. SBC

ptrainer
2008-03-30, 23:49
I currently own a Squeezebox Controller and five SB players. I would like to add an additional SBC to use downstairs so I can leave my current one upstairs. However I've been reading about Pippin's iPeng software for the new iPods and iPhones and am very curious since when I played around with them at the Apple store, I found the ergonomics to be very elegant in function. Playing music on the iPod Touch was certainly faster and easier to me than using the SBC's current interface.

I am considering getting an iPod instead of that second SBC. This is my question: Could I get some feedback, pros/cons, thoughts, etcetera about iPeng versus the SBC from people out there who own and use both? This would be much appreciated.

ModelCitizen
2008-03-31, 00:10
Have a search through the Developers > SqueezeOS Software Platform forum. There has been considerable disussion of this already. There's even a poll.

The Controler interface is nothing like the web gui interface. It's considerably faster and snappier. It's quite a bit faster than the SB3/Transporter display too.

MC

peter
2008-03-31, 01:08
ModelCitizen wrote:
> Have a search through the Developers > SqueezeOS Software Platform
> forum. There has been considerable disussion of this already. There's
> even a poll.
>
> The Controler interface is nothing like the web gui interface. It's
> considerably faster and snappier. It's quite a bit faster than the
> SB3/Transporter display too.
>

Running the SC web interface on a browser on MAC OS is not as smooth as
running iTunes on it. The same applies to the iTouch, iPeng is just a
webskin AFAIK.

Regards,
Peter

pippin
2008-03-31, 01:41
I currently own a Squeezebox Controller and five SB players. I would like to add an additional SBC to use downstairs so I can leave my current one upstairs. However I've been reading about Pippin's iPeng software for the new iPods and iPhones and am very curious since when I played around with them at the Apple store, I found the ergonomics to be very elegant in function. Playing music on the iPod Touch was certainly faster and easier to me than using the SBC's current interface.

I am considering getting an iPod instead of that second SBC. This is my question: Could I get some feedback, pros/cons, thoughts, etcetera about iPeng versus the SBC from people out there who own and use both? This would be much appreciated.

Right now iPeng is a web skin, so it will be slower in response than the SBC although it's consideraly faster than the default web skin. A native app will not be available (at least from me ;-) before Apple releases the iPhone / iTouch firmware for 3rd party apps which is currently targeted for June.

In terms of functionality iPeng IMHO today features almost as much as SBC. If you want to get an impression, have a look at penguinlovesmusic.com, there's a lot of pictures there (in the manual and the photo album). The UI is pretty much modeled after the iPod app on the iTouch but has more functionality.

One thing that unfortunately does NOT work yet is streaming to the iPhone/iTouch, this is due to limitations in SquueezeCenter AND iPhone.

There's a lot of discussion around iPeng in the 3rd party hardware section of this forum.

adamslim
2008-03-31, 02:03
I started the poll that MC refers to. Initially (during the beta stage) I thought the iPeng was much better than the SBC, but some important changes to the SBC (re battery life and scrolling, IIRC) made it take the lead. I now use my SBC most of the time, and iPeng almost never.

Much of the difference is down to the buttons - it's very handy to have the SBC buttons - easier to pause when the phone goes! It's also much better at scrolling long lists.

I would still recommend the iPod Touch as a web tablet (it's far better than the Nokia 770, IMO), so if that functionality interests you, get one and see iPeng as a nice add-on, possibly as a third controller after two SBCs. However, if it's just as a Squeezebox controller, the SBC is the thing to get.

erland
2008-03-31, 09:47
iPeng is slower than the SBC when navigating the menus, an advantage with iPeng is that you have a larger touch screen and with some third party plugins this makes it easier to access some functions on iPeng compared to the SBC.

If the native app will be as fast as pippin suggest, it will IMHO make iPeng better than the SBC. The only situation where SBC still will have the lead is if you feel that it's important that you can control it with a single hand. Controlling iPeng with a single hand is possible but not user friendly.

Personally, I feel that I currently prefer iPeng over SBC since it integrates better with my plugins, but I suspect that users that don't use my plugins will probably prefer SBC due to the speed improvement.

ptrainer
2008-03-31, 20:41
Thanks for the input guys. I have borrowed an iPhone to try iPeng out. It really is very cool though it is a little bit slower than the SBC. This might be dumb of me, but I can't seem to figure out how to control the SB receiver's volume though in iPeng. The iPhone's volume control changes the ringer volume when in iPeng mode.

pippin
2008-03-31, 23:42
Thanks for the input guys. I have borrowed an iPhone to try iPeng out. It really is very cool though it is a little bit slower than the SBC. This might be dumb of me, but I can't seem to figure out how to control the SB receiver's volume though in iPeng. The iPhone's volume control changes the ringer volume when in iPeng mode.

It's a webapp, so the native volume control doesn' t work (good hint for the native app...) so you have to go to the NowPlaying screen and tap the artwork. You will get an overlay with a volume control then.
Please note that even though that looks like the native control, you have to click on th new volme position instead of dragging the handle.

ptrainer
2008-03-31, 23:56
Many thanks for the cool software pippin. One more question. When I'm in 'now playing' view and tap the tracklisting icon at the top right corner, it only show the first 8 tracks on the album and doesn't seem to be able to scroll through the remaining songs. Is there a way to see the rest of the songs?

pippin
2008-04-01, 01:33
Many thanks for the cool software pippin. One more question. When I'm in 'now playing' view and tap the tracklisting icon at the top right corner, it only show the first 8 tracks on the album and doesn't seem to be able to scroll through the remaining songs. Is there a way to see the rest of the songs?

Ah.. that's the one everybody gets wrong the first time. I's one of the features Apple has documented badly (is there ANY Apple documentation on USING the iPhone??? I only found it in the developer's docs myself).
You have to use two-finger scrolling for that (touch the screen with two fingers at at time).
Unfortunately it's slow as hell but it's the only way Apple allows for scrolling within parts of the screen and I want the controls to be visible on that screen.