PDA

View Full Version : BBC Podcats Via Alien BBC, Does it work?

chrislayeruk
2008-03-30, 11:36
Hi, I have SB3 v7.0 with Alien BBC working in all respects that I need apart from BBC Podcasts.

Can I have a definative answer, Do BBC Podcasts work with ALienBBC and SB3 v7.0?
If yes, What am I doing wrong?

If I Import them (BBC Podcats) into itunes, I can listen to them without issue.

Thanks again for your help.

Chris :)

Siduhe
2008-03-30, 11:50
Couple of the Chris Moyles ones aren't working - the format of the directory looks like it has changed a bit. However, most are working fine - just played a BBC6 one with no problems. Are you trying to play them with a hardware player (i.e. a physical SB) or a software player like SoftSqueeze? BBC podcasts don't work with software players AFAIK.

bpa
2008-03-30, 12:27
Known restrictions.

1. BBC podcasts don't work with Softsqueeze. Don't know abotu squeezeslave.

2. The "enhanced" podcasts (some of Chris Moyles) don't play because they have video.

3.A number of podcast are "UK only" and are marked as such in the header.

Can you give examples of ones that don't work so that they can be tested.

Edit:
Just did a spot check - AlienBBC picks up the same number of podcasts as on BBC browser page so page format looks OK on Radio 1.

chrislayeruk
2008-03-30, 14:48
Hi, I have tried BBC Radio 2, Paul Jones and Terry Wogan.
Radio 5Live, Mark Kermode.
I am in the uk and have a physical SB3
Squeezecenter V7.0 with AlienBBC, Mplayer and Lame are all installed.

BBC Listen again works as does listen live.

The Podcast Data comes up, it just times out. I have adjusted the buffer settings etc. without success.

I have a usb modem, could this be an issue?
With this Modem I cannot get Squeezenetwork.

bpa
2008-03-30, 14:56
Can you play ordinary MP3 internet radio such as

SKy FM Guitar http://208.122.59.30:7070

Do you have any Plugin or features enabled that can modify an MP3 stream such as "Bit rate limiting" or InguzDSP ?

chrislayeruk
2008-03-31, 12:10
Hi, I tried the link in 'Tune in to URL'.
It did not work.

As I have a USB Modem, is this a problem?

I cannot get squeezenetwork with this modem. I can get it on soft squeeze.

PC World Cannot sell me a wired Broadband Modem, I am hoping my ISP will supply me with one. If I am succesfull and I can work it, I will report back.
I have no idea what else may be wrong here.
Thanks again, Chris :)

P.S. I have no idea what those Plugins are.

bpa
2008-03-31, 12:26
I think the USB modem is party of the problem.

Myguess is the SB cannot conatct the Internet directly - it can only communicate with PC or devices on your LAN.

Normally when playing MP3 radio and Podcast, the SB contact the source directly bypassing the PC. In you setup this cannot happen. TO test this theory please do the following.

1. Goto Settings/Player/Audio for the SB in question.
2. Change "MP3 Streaming Method" to "Proxied Streaming" and click Apply.
3. Try to play the Sky FM Guitar link http://208.122.59.30:7070 by pasting the link into Tune-In.

If it works then routing is your problem. The above solution will work for MP3 stream and there is something similar for WMA but you will not get Squeezenetwork. Using a modem/router would be the best solution as you can then turn PC off. In the meantime I think you can enable routing on your PC using Internet Connection Service see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126 (or here http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics_xp). I'mnot sure if the version of XP si significant (e.g. Pro vs Home).

danco
2008-03-31, 14:34
PC World Cannot sell me a wired Broadband Modem, I am hoping my ISP will supply me with one. If I am succesfull and I can work it, I will report back.

That's PC World for you. Not a good place to try if there is anywhere else with a retail store.

I believe there is a difference between US and UK terminology. I think I am right in saying that in the UK the word 'router' refers to a single piece of equipment that contains both a broadband connection and a wired/wireless hub, usually four-port if it is wired, whereas in the USA one buys two items named 'modem' and 'router'. Could easily be wrong on this.

Anyway, my router is a Draytek Vigor 2600. Now replaced by a newer model, the 2700, which is wired, though you might want to spend extra for the 2700G which has a wireless connection as well, which could be useful in the future. You can get it online from www.seg.co.uk. You might be able to get it at a better price elsewhere online, or find a good model from another maker. seg are the official UK distributors for the Draytek. Just a happy user, no connection with the firm.

chrislayeruk
2008-04-01, 12:04
bpa, thanks alot, that sky link works after I followed your advice.

I will now play and see what else I can get.

Thanks Danco for the Modem router advice as well.

Cheers, Chris

Edit. I can Get MP3 streams now, they buffer up and play. I can also play RTP statons.
Its been and remains a big learning curve.

bpa
2008-04-01, 12:17
The workaround to get WMA station to play is as follows.

1. Goto Settings/Advanced/Filetypes
2. Change Windows Media - Windows Media "native" to "disabled" and then click apply.

This stops decoding in the SB and so SC will handling all WMA streams before passing them on as Flac to SB.

chrislayeruk
2008-04-01, 13:13
The Mp3 changed to Proxyed streaming and WMA Native changed to disabled seems to have done the trick. (See Above posts)

I can now get BBC Podcasts and wma stations.

Thank you so much.

Is there a way to make these basic settings more easily known to other USB Modem users?

Cheers, Chris

This is a great forum for us almost helpless souls.:)

bpa
2008-04-01, 13:38
The settings are stopgap workarounds because you have a bigger problem - no router in your local network. Usually people in a similar situation will then ask why can I not play radio when the PC is turned off or I can't use Squeezenetwork. So I'd be loathe to recommend the settings as a fix in the first instance for USB modem users.

The Wiki is available for users to add their advice. I think probably a new section in the Networking - highlighting problems (and the workarounds) that a user will have when using a USB modem might be useful.

The simplicity of the SB belies the complexity of the systems and components that need to be working properly. Applying workarounds rather than solving the underlying issue may be storing up problems for the future.

chrislayeruk
2008-04-01, 15:02
Good points, I know I cannot use Squeezenetwork or Internet Radio with my Computer off.
Thats the trouble with USB Modems. (I have learned)

These workarounds mean I can get the radio I want now on my SB3 but I will still try to get a differant Modem in the future.

Thanks for all your help, Cheers, Chris :)