PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed please

scottishpaul
2008-03-30, 06:15
I will apologise now if this has already been discussed....

I want to set up a wireless network at home. I have no knowledge of wireless systems so could do with some help and advice.

I am looking at purchasing the Squeezebox Duet. I want to stream music to it from a NAS.

My first question is...can anyone recommend a suitable NAS? I am looking for a 4-bay system, into which i will initially install 2 drives. I have read about the Netgear ReadyNAS, the HP MediaSmart Server, and various others (Thecus, QNAP) but am now more confused than ever.

I would also like a recommendation for a suitable modem router. For example should i be looking at wireless 'n' for a more futureproof system or is 'g' sufficient. Also is it best to go with a wireless pci card or a usb adaptor.

Am i correct in thinking that the best set-up is to have my PC connected wirelessly to my modem/router, have the NAS wired into my Gigabit LAN, and then connect the Squeezebox wirelessly to the router to complete the system.

Like i said at the beginning. I am completely new to this so any advice would be greatly received.

radish
2008-03-30, 08:38
My first question is...can anyone recommend a suitable NAS? I am looking for a 4-bay system, into which i will initially install 2 drives. I have read about the Netgear ReadyNAS, the HP MediaSmart Server, and various others (Thecus, QNAP) but am now more confused than ever.

The third party hardware forum is the place for this kind of advice. I've heard plenty of good stuff about the Thecus and the new Ripserver, the HP is pricey but is easy to manage. The others (Qnap/ReadyNAS etc) tend to be a little more involved as they're more specifically NAS units and have various restrictions on what you can install/run on them.

I would also like a recommendation for a suitable modem router. For example should i be looking at wireless 'n' for a more futureproof system or is 'g' sufficient. Also is it best to go with a wireless pci card or a usb adaptor.

You're looking for a router, not a modem - you'll continue to use the modem you have. Pretty much anything modern will work fine for the SBs - pick a major brand g or n model and you should be fine. I have recently switched to a D-Link DIR-655 and it's awesome.

Am i correct in thinking that the best set-up is to have my PC connected wirelessly to my modem/router, have the NAS wired into my Gigabit LAN, and then connect the Squeezebox wirelessly to the router to complete the system.

Sounds ideal.

Good luck!

scottishpaul
2008-03-30, 10:06
Thanks for the swift reply.

Think i will look at the N4100+ as the N5200 Pro is out of my price range.

And will also look up the router you mentioned.

Thanks again.

Phil Leigh
2008-03-30, 10:44
My 2 cents... you want to make sure that the NAS is wired to the router if possible (not sure if that is waht you were planning?). Also, where were you planning on running Squeezecenter? If on a PC (not the NAS) you wan to wire that too (don't use wireless).
Basically, avoid having two wireless hops between the PC running SC and the SB