PDA

View Full Version : Pause/Previous/Next buttons not working on controller (7.0.1 r2147) ?

EliteAV
2008-03-29, 10:34
I may be going mad here (it's possible:-), but are the pause, previous and next buttons on the controller broken in 7.0.1 r2147.

Pressing pause just mutes the volume and doesnt pause the track. Pressing the previous < and next > buttons doesnt move to the previous or next track in the playlist.

It seems a bit too obvious to have not been picked up already, or is there an option to remap the buttons that I may have missed?

EliteAV
2008-03-30, 06:27
Forgot to add that an obvious problem with this is that once you start a track playing, it isnt possible to stop it from the controller! Weird that no one else has reported this.

radish
2008-03-30, 07:56
2158 seems to work OK...

EliteAV
2008-04-01, 13:26
2158 seems to work OK...

Thanks. I assume that 2158 is still a developer only build (as my controller says that it is up to date with 2147) so will wait until 2158 (or later) is released.

radish
2008-04-01, 13:51
Don't think so, I'm just running a fairly recent 7.0.1 build. And I haven't ever heard of the problem you reported, so it may not be related anyway. Upgrade to the latest 7.0.1 and if you still have problems let us know.

EliteAV
2008-04-01, 15:04
Have just upgraded controller firmware (from SD card) to build 2160 and the problem is the same: Pressing pause - mutes the volume but it looks like the track carries on playing (the elapsed time counters & progress bar continue updating). Pressing pause again doesnt toggle th pause it just tries to mute the volume again (even though it is already muted). Holding the pause key down to stop has no effect.

I am using Squeezecenter build 7.0.1 17285.

Everything was working correctly using the original controller firmware (2114) i.e. as delivered from the retailer & I havent changed anything on the SC server since then. However, I will update to the latest SC 7.0.1 beta build tomorrow evening to see if that fixes the problem.

EliteAV
2008-04-02, 12:25
Have just installed controller firmware 7.0.1 2164 (which was published today) and have upgraded Squeezecenter to 7.0.1 18284 and the problem with the previous, pause and next keys not working on the controller remains.

I realise that when working with beta releases, there will be glitches but this is an annoying problem. I can pause/stop and skip to previous/next tracks using the SC web UI but not on the controller. When I pause using the web UI, this is correctly reflected in the controller UI but nit the other way round.

Unfortunately my first Duet system has been returned to the retailer waiting for them to confirm the hardware fault with the receiver (probably wireless card) before I get a replacement, so I cant compare 2 controllers to check the button bug.

I cant think of anything else to add in the way of test results that would be relevant as this is such an obvious bug i.e.

Press a button.
Does it work?
No.
Can this be repeated?
Yes.
End of test.

The only other thing I can add is that all tracks are WMA lossless but am not sure that is relevant.

I am a bit concerned that I have now upgraded the controller through 3 firmware revisions: 2157, 2160 and 2164 and the problem is still there.

I wouldnt have thought this can be a controller hardware failure as the above functions were working with controller firmware 7.0.1 2114 and SC 7.0.1 17285.

Unfortunately as 7.0.1 is still beta, Support cant deal with this issue, but if no one else is experiencing the problem, I am not optimistic of getting a fix anytime soon.

bpa
2008-04-02, 12:34
Just to rule out any hardware problem - have you tried the Factory test of the keypad ?

EliteAV
2008-04-02, 12:48
I thought it was worth performing a factory reset on the controller and then running the keys factory test from Advanced Settings and the results are very odd:

The + and play, back and home keys are fine.
The volume down and up keys are fine.

When I press pause, the pause, volume down and volume up red light indicators all show.
When I press previous (<<), the <<, back and + indicators all show.
When I press next (>>), the >> and play (>) indicators all show.

This would suggest that something may be wrong with the keypad mappings.

Radish (as you are normally lurking:-) and have been helpful, do you have any ideas?

bpa
2008-04-02, 13:00
My guess is there is a fault on a line with the keypad matrix. My understanding is the Factory test is a direct test of hardware - no mapping.

I'd return this controller to the retailer - you seem to be extraordinarily unlucky.

MickeyG
2008-04-02, 13:16
I thought it was worth performing a factory reset on the controller and then running the keys factory test from Advanced Settings and the results are very odd:

The + and play, back and home keys are fine.
The volume down and up keys are fine.

When I press pause, the pause, volume down and volume up red light indicators all show.
When I press previous (<<), the <<, back and + indicators all show.
When I press next (>>), the >> and play (>) indicators all show.

This would suggest that something may be wrong with the keypad mappings.

Radish (as you are normally lurking:-) and have been helpful, do you have any ideas?

It sounds like your Controller has defective hardware. That test is run on all units in the factory and it's required to display all green before leaving it.

Please call support to receive another unit and an RMA number to send this unit back. It will be routed to Mountain View for disassembly and inspection.

Mickey

EliteAV
2008-04-02, 13:29
I'd return this controller to the retailer - you seem to be extraordinarily unlucky.

You're telling me! There has got be a problem with quality control here.

I will now have to contact the 2nd retailer to arrange a return.

I know that with any new product there are always going to be issues, but this is unacceptable. I have now paid GBP600 for 2 Duet systems and in a day or so, wont have either as they will be back with the retailer.

EliteAV
2008-04-02, 13:33
It sounds like your Controller has defective hardware. That test is run on all units in the factory and it's required to display all green before leaving it.

Please call support to receive another unit and an RMA number to send this unit back. It will be routed to Mountain View for disassembly and inspection.

Mickey

Mickey, I just missed your post before making my last one.

I didnt realise that the test had to show all green lights. Every light on mine shows red - even on the keys that I thought were fine (like +, play, home).

Anyway, I am in the UK so will need to return this to the online retailer for them to test and issue a replacement (I did try raising a ticket with your support tem but they closed it because they thought it was an issue with beta software).

EliteAV
2008-04-03, 01:08
I realised late last night that this problem has probably been present on the controller from the start. Although I thought the buttons were working properly with controller firmware r2114, this was on the first controller that I had.

So my tally so far is first Duet, controller works, receiver had hardware fault. Second Duet, receiver works, controller has hardware fault.

Anyway, I have spoken to the retailer (Ripcaster) this morning and will be returning the second Duet for a replacement (when they get stock). Hopefully, this isnt a more widespread problem as I have just seen another post from someone reporting exactly the same issue.

jsharper
2008-04-03, 07:00
I received my new Duet last night and I am experiencing the exact same problem. I didn't notice this thread last night when I posted a similar thread (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=45714)

I'm running r2164.

jsharper
2008-04-04, 09:56

FYI -- mine will turn all green and "pass" the test, despite having the defect. If the person doing the test is not paying close attention and hasn't been told to specifically look for one button registering as multiple simultaneous button pushes, they may not notice the failure. You may want to make sure they are aware of this particular failure mode so they can watch for it more closely.

Mickey

It is difficult for me to call during the day, so I have submitted a support incident electronically on Wed night with followup yesterday. I haven't heard anything back yet. Ref # is 080404-000480. Just thought you may want to know in case you are anxious to inspect a unit with this failure mode before EliteAV's unit can make it back to the states. (I'm in Arizona). I know I am anxious to have working pause and skip forward buttons :)

Bustofa
2008-06-22, 11:26
Realise that I'm joining this debate a little late but I have the same problem with my Duet Controller, which is curently running official release 7.0.1 r2448.
Executing the Keypad Factory test reveals that the:

- 'Previous' button also lights up the '+' and 'Back' buttons;
- 'Next' lights up 'Play' and
- 'Pause' lights up 'Volume Up' and 'Volume Dowm'

Regards

Bustofa