PDA

View Full Version : No Web Access for SqueezeCenter on Mac

bradleyjay
2008-03-29, 09:50
I'm using Mac OS 10.5.2 (Leopard). When I go to System Prefs and click on the squeezecenter the panel comes up. The "Web Access" button is grayed out. I have tried starting the server on "start-up" and "when I log in." i have enabled squeezecenter for "all users" and "for me only." I have tried on Safari and on Firefox. I have gone to the FAQs and tried pasting the given URL into my browser window and only get "server not found."

Any help would be much appreciated.

jln252
2008-03-30, 07:43
Me too! Can someone help?

I'm using Mac OS 10.5.2 (Leopard). When I go to System Prefs and click on the squeezecenter the panel comes up. The "Web Access" button is grayed out. I have tried starting the server on "start-up" and "when I log in." i have enabled squeezecenter for "all users" and "for me only." I have tried on Safari and on Firefox. I have gone to the FAQs and tried pasting the given URL into my browser window and only get "server not found."

Any help would be much appreciated.

jln252
2008-03-30, 07:58
btw I'm using OSX 10.4.11

zest
2008-03-30, 08:19
me as well, had to revert back to old version. I am using latest version of OS tiger on a mac mini

jln252
2008-03-30, 17:07
ok I give up on SlimCenter 7 too.
Where can I find a download of the latesed v. 6.x?
The SlimDevices website/downloads only lists 7
Thanks!
John

Eric Seaberg
2008-03-30, 18:08
Give me some info!! I'm running Slim 7 on a Mac MINI OS 10.4.11 with no issues... it's been running non-stop for almost 18-months. I even had it running on my G5 with Leopard and no hiccups.

When was the last time you repaired permission on your system disc?

jln252
2008-03-30, 18:45
Eric,
Thanks for your post.
Since you asked, I just did, and restarted.
No change. Web Access is dimmed out in SqueezeCenter pane and my sb3 is not able to connect.
I've been running SlimServer successfully up till now on this e-mac, OS 10.4.11.
Thanks again,
John

Give me some info!! I'm running Slim 7 on a Mac MINI OS 10.4.11 with no issues... it's been running non-stop for almost 18-months. I even had it running on my G5 with Leopard and no hiccups.

When was the last time you repaired permission on your system disc?

Eric Seaberg
2008-03-30, 19:10
If web access is dimmed, is the server even running? I remember initially there were problems with Server 7 starting up on the Mac, but it works for me.

Go to the UTILITIES folder and open ACTIVITY MONITOR. If SLIM is running you should see perl running as one of the processes, even if nothing is playing but it's booted.

So you're on 10.4.11, right? And you've been running server 6.5.x prior to this?

Hmmmmm

wspitzig
2008-03-30, 23:13
count me among the other nine with same problem.

i also tried opening the browser and trying my IP address with port 9000

no joy.

mherger
2008-03-31, 00:01
> i also tried opening the browser and trying my IP address with port
> 9000
>
> no joy.

Did you try installing for all users?

--

Michael

SJobson
2008-03-31, 01:29
When I installed SC on my Mac Mini (10.4.something) last Tuesday - fresh install - the Web Access button was greyed out at first. I spent a while trying to work out how to get to the web interface, then went back to the System Prefs box, clicked the Stop and then the Start icons, then did some unrelated stuff and went back; the Web Access button was live. Not sure if it was simply stopping and starting SC that enlivened it, but it's been working ever since.

briggy
2008-03-31, 03:13
I had the same problem when I installed on my mac 10.4.11, removed all files related to slim centre and the server from system preferences did a reinstall worked fine. Takes a little time for the server to start up, the the web button becomes active... good luck

pacman
2008-03-31, 04:20
may be a firewall issue on leopard ? not sure.
Anyway "perl" should be autorized in the firewall.
I'm running with leopard and I have no problem with web server

PhilNYC
2008-03-31, 06:21
I'm running Leopard 10.5.2 on my iMac (powerPC 1.8Ghz) and have had no problems with SqueezeCenter 7.0. I just upgraded to SC 7.0.1 this morning and so far so good...

jln252
2008-03-31, 07:29
I tried a "clean install" by removing all previous Squeeze file, still no dice. Now, this morning, the server won't stay on. It runs for about 15 sec then reverts to "Start Server". This is mirrored in Activity Monitor for Pearl. the Web Server button stays dim the whole time.

This morning I did another clean install, this time SlimServer 6.5.0 (the latest I could find for download. I'm surprised SlimDevices doesn't maintain an archive on their site. The server and web server are working but my SB3 can't connect. :-( I had to quit and go to work then :-( :-(

Thanks for any help

If web access is dimmed, is the server even running? I remember initially there were problems with Server 7 starting up on the Mac, but it works for me.

Go to the UTILITIES folder and open ACTIVITY MONITOR. If SLIM is running you should see perl running as one of the processes, even if nothing is playing but it's booted.

So you're on 10.4.11, right? And you've been running server 6.5.x prior to this?

Hmmmmm

wspitzig
2008-03-31, 10:32
Yes. I tried logging in as various users.

I called Logitech Support this morning and got this advice:

The trouble you're running into is likely due to a firewall being active on your computer. Try the following steps to open the necessary ports in your firewall to allow SqueezeCenter to work on your network:

Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard)

1. Open System Preferences > Security and click “Firewall”
2. Click “Set Access for specific services and applications”
3. Click “Show All” at the top to view all your preferences, and then click SqueezeCenter.
4. If your server is currently running, click “Stop Server”.
5. Next, click “Start Server”.
6. You will get a series of confirmations from your firewall asking if you want to allow access. Click “Allow” for each. (the dialogs will refer to “perl” and possibly “mDNSResponderPosix”.)

I made the call from work and will not have a chance to put this advice into practice until I get home tonight.

I thought I would pass it along anyway since it comes from the horse's mouth. Logitech has remarkably good customer service: one jump to talk to the right guy who knew what he was talking about.

danco
2008-03-31, 11:24
I tried a "clean install" by removing all previous Squeeze file, still no dice. Now, this morning, the server won't stay on. It runs for about 15 sec then reverts to "Start Server". This is mirrored in Activity Monitor for Pearl. the Web Server button stays dim the whole time.

This morning I did another clean install, this time SlimServer 6.5.0 (the latest I could find for download. I'm surprised SlimDevices doesn't maintain an archive on their site. The server and web server are working but my SB3 can't connect. :-( I had to quit and go to work then :-( :-(

Thanks for any help

Your SlimServer is running OK, so it seems to be an issue between the Squeezebox and the computer. Could be a wi-fi issue, but probably not as it used to work. May well be a firewall problem, in which case wspitzig's advice from Logitech is a good one.

As in my posts on the other thread, I reckon it is often useful to try SoftSqueeze. If that works ok, then firewall or wi-fi are almost certainly the cause of the problem. If it doesn't work, then the issue is somewhere else.

And if you want to use 7 and are having troubles, it can't harm to remove the cache. On at least one earlier occasion, that was why SS would not work.

jiantmc
2008-03-31, 22:24
I'm having the same problem as reported here. I had successfully run 6.5 but now cannot access squeezecenter. The server claims to start but the web access button remains grayed out. After a while, the server is no longer active. I confirmed with Activity Monitor that perl does launch when the server is started in squeezecenter.

In the meantime, where are the old versions? Alternatively, when can we expect to find a resolution? SqueezeCenter is breaking on (some) Macs! (I miss my music.....)

briggy
2008-04-01, 01:16
can be found here

http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/

zest
2008-04-02, 18:31
any luck on this

Matt Wise
2008-04-02, 21:50
Please contact Logitech Customer Support at +1 (877) 887-8889. Those of you who are having issues with SqueezeCenter on the Mac platform, rest assured that it SHOULD be working and hopefully support can solve your problems. I'm running SC 7 just fine on my Leopard 10.5.2 system.

Additionally, we do keep all of our previous 'releases' available on our web site ... we just don't link to them from our main web page. You'll find all kinds of files available at http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/.

--Matt Wise
Logitech Streaming Media Build Monkey

tennentr
2008-04-03, 20:11

Thanks for any help

Running 10.4.11 with SqueezeCenter 7.0 (I've tried 7.01 with the same results).

I start the server, the web access button is activated, I get

"Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:9000"

with the following console log sequence

Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 (Build 8S165)
2008-04-03 21:48:56 -0400
2008-04-03 21:48:57.576 loginwindow[26259] FSResolveAliasWithMountFlags returned err = -43
setting dest to 1
setting dest to 5
Starting with debuglevel 3

jln252
2008-04-04, 08:24
any luck on this

I finally got SC 7 running on the eMac OSX 10.4.11 is use to serve music.
Initially I had the problem described earlier- server runing but Web Access button dim, inactive. No firewall and always installed to all users. Repaired disk permissions several times.

Later things got worse, server stopped after one minute or so. I tried to revert to SS 6.5, servers run but can't scan music folder. Stops after two songs. Tried many reinstalls. Tried to clean out all slim files and reinstall. Still no go and noticed that some server settings were retained as noted on another thread, indicating that not all slim files can be found in Slim folders or searching for "Slim" or "Squeeze".

Soo, I decided to go back to SC 7 and hope to get a chance to call support sometime when I am at home during their hours. I first cleaned all Slim folders and files I could find off the system, and looked for some playlist files as suggested in another post- .ompl files and any .plst files that might relate to Slim/Squeeze. I didn't find much except one .plst file on the desktop that I knew was a radio stream- deleted it. Also, I had turned off iTunes sharing earlier in the day before trying yet another install. Then I ran the SC 7 installer one more time and Bingo! Server and Web Access working just dandy.

I can't say for sure what made a difference- the plst files or turning itunes sharing off or ??? I have since turned iTunes sharing back on and things are ok.

I like SC 7, and would say that you may find it worth your while to get things sorted out with support. I think it refreshes much faster than 6.5. It makes integration with iTunes much faster. Has browse buttons to locate music and iTunes files- really nice if you have your tunes on an outboard drive as I do. It provides scan progress info, so you aren't left wondering if its doing anything, like on 6.5, and how far its getting through a long scan- and a host of other nifty features...

Thanks for everybody's input and Good Luck!

John

NormanFr
2008-04-04, 10:26
I had the same problem. I called the support line and they resolved it pretty speedily. I think I had missed some files when I cleared the old version, and they were interfering. Here's the e-mail customer support sent me to track down all the old files:

To perform a clean installation of our SqueezeCenter software, follow the steps below:

1. First, go to System Preferences, click on SqueezeCenter and click on "Stop Server", close System Preferences.

2. Remove any of the following files and folders:

- Home > Library > Application Support > SqueezeCenter Folder
- Home > Library > PreferencePanes > SqueezeCenter.prefPane
- Home > Library > Caches > SqueezeCenter folder

- Macintosh HD > Library > PreferencePanes > SqueezeCenter.prefPane (may or may not exist)

Next...

3. Reinstall SqueezeCenter from:

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html

4. After the install completes, the SqueezeCenter Preference Pane should come up, click on “Start Server,” then click on “Web Access”

Note: If you click on “Web Access” and you receive an error, wait a few seconds before you try again as the application may still be starting.

5. SqueezeCenter will start the Setup Wizard and you will have to enter your SqueezeNetwork log in information and specify your Music Library and Playlists folder paths. After that, SqueezeCenter will rescan your music Library.

Once SqueezeCenter finishes scanning your music library, verify that everything is working by playing a file. You may need to update your player once you get connected.

jln252
2008-04-04, 10:33
I had the same problem. I called the support line and they resolved it pretty speedily. I think I had missed some files when I cleared the old version, and they were interfering. Here's the e-mail customer support sent me to track down all the old files:

To perform a clean installation of our SqueezeCenter software, follow the steps below:

1. First, go to System Preferences, click on SqueezeCenter and click on "Stop Server", close System Preferences.

2. Remove any of the following files and folders:

- Home > Library > Application Support > SqueezeCenter Folder
- Home > Library > PreferencePanes > SqueezeCenter.prefPane
- Home > Library > Caches > SqueezeCenter folder

- Macintosh HD > Library > PreferencePanes > SqueezeCenter.prefPane (may or may not exist)

Next...

3. Reinstall SqueezeCenter from:

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html

4. After the install completes, the SqueezeCenter Preference Pane should come up, click on “Start Server,” then click on “Web Access”

Note: If you click on “Web Access” and you receive an error, wait a few seconds before you try again as the application may still be starting.

5. SqueezeCenter will start the Setup Wizard and you will have to enter your SqueezeNetwork log in information and specify your Music Library and Playlists folder paths. After that, SqueezeCenter will rescan your music Library.

Once SqueezeCenter finishes scanning your music library, verify that everything is working by playing a file. You may need to update your player once you get connected.

This is great to have.
Please note, however, that in my recent experience, it was necessary do an equivalent clean sweep of SS 6 files BEFORE running the SC7 installer!

Eric Seaberg
2008-04-04, 12:27
You shouldn't have to lose the v6 files because they're in a different place and called by the older server name. I kept all of my v6 files IN CASE I needed to revert back...but I've had v7 running smoothly from the outset.

Glad you guys got it working.

Sune
2008-04-30, 13:27
Hi again,

Followed the instructions on page 3 in this thread:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=45486&highlight=mouth&page=3

BUT I just moved my "SqueeseCenter" folder found in "application support" instead of deleting it.

Then I

* downloaded the latest official release, got it installed, verified that the server started as expected.
* Stopped it and updated it to latest nightly release and verified that the server started as expected.
* Stopped it, replaced the new "SqueezeCenter" folder in Application Support with the original one
* Restarted the server - NO SUCCES!
* Restarted the server again - SUCCES! Now all plugins and prefs seems to back to what they were before

I did not reboot my Mac during the process.

Conclusion: It's probably the Cache giving Mac-users a headache.
Possible cause: Inproper shutdown of Mac (e.g. Power Failure)
Possible solution: Having a script that trashes the SqueezeCenter cache at startup

Will now start checking up that everything works..AND add my SqueezeCenter folder to my backup list :-)

Hope for a permanent fix for this problem soon.

/Sune

P.S. As for the FireWall suggestions - they cause trouble, if it doesn't solve the problem immediately and you forget about it. I forgot, and then by SB could not see the Mac....untill I went back in and selected "Allow incoming connections" for Perl (no, the system never asked me during server startup)...and then just selected the "allow all incoming connections" again, which was where I started....I do not allow traffic from the outside on my router anyway.

greenehighway
2008-05-13, 01:15
I have been having this problem for some time. It occurs mainly when Leopard is not properly shut down.

Upon restarting, SqueezeCenter does not open automatically. Clicking Start Server in System Preferences allows the Stop Server button to appear for a few seconds, but the server does not start properly.

After following all the steps above and trying them out individually, I have found that if you just move the following file to the trash you can start SqueezeCenter just fine without reinstalling the whole thing or removing anything else:

Home > Application Support > SqueezeCenter > server.prefs

Hope this helps somebody, it worked for me.