PDA

View Full Version : Duet Control, plugin earphones?

mike79
2008-03-28, 13:46
Hello,

I got the Duet a few days ago, great, I love it. But got a question: There is a plug for earphones on the controller. If I plugin ear phones, I can hear the noises from the controller. But I would like to stream musik out there as well, is that possible as well?

Thanks, Mike

radish
2008-03-28, 14:15
Not at this time, possibly in the future.

mike79
2008-03-29, 03:52
Any idea when this could be the case?

aubuti
2008-03-29, 05:52
When someone writes the code. At present the public stance of SD/Logitech is that development of this feature will depend on the wider Squeezebox community (i.e., volunteer developers). I don't know the details well, but I vaguely recall that during the beta testing period some users managed to get it to work using squeezeslave. As they say, patches are welcome.

Zevs
2008-03-29, 11:06
When someone writes the code. At present the public stance of SD/Logitech is that development of this feature will depend on the wider Squeezebox community (i.e., volunteer developers). I don't know the details well, but I vaguely recall that during the beta testing period some users managed to get it to work using squeezeslave. As they say, patches are welcome.

You are joking for sure or... Why would Logitech include an extra feature that they don't plan to use and develop ...?

funkstar
2008-03-29, 12:35
They wanted the hardware to be as flexible as possible. There is audio hardware in the controller for the button sounds, so adding a 3.5mm jack would have been fairly trivial.

Having the controller as just a controller at the moment is the _official_ stance. This may change at a future point.

If you are being cynical, you could surmise that when sales of the Controler start to slow, they could release new firmware with streaming and playback of stored music (there is a SD slot capable of 32GB in there) to boost sales. Same hardware, yet it becomes a very different product after that :)

Zevs
2008-03-29, 12:56
If you are being cynical, you could surmise that when sales of the Controler start to slow, they could release new firmware with streaming and playback of stored music (there is a SD slot capable of 32GB in there) to boost sales. Same hardware, yet it becomes a very different product after that :)

Thanks funkstar!
I would love that to happen soon :) :) Really would be fantastic to be able to listen using earphones. I would pay extra for a firmware upgrade doing that already now.

bpa
2008-03-29, 13:38
There is even more unexploited connectivity - the expansion port at the bottom (for which there is no readily available cable) has the following according to the wiki

Expansion connector that brings out: serial, USB (host or device), audio out, audio in, 3.3v out, 5v in

autopilot
2008-03-30, 15:26
Dont forget the Infra-Red emittor (next to the headphone socket) - can wait for someone to write a simple plugin to allow me to control my Amp's (just on/off would do me for now).

As for the music playback through the headphones - i cant see how it would take much work. The UI is already there and the DAC works for playing menu sound effects. All we need is to be able to go into "choose player" and see "Controller" on the list. I guess the hard part is streaming the music to it?

Serious kudos to the first person who does it. I'll buy them a beer... make that 2 ;)

funkstar
2008-03-31, 01:54
Serious kudos to the first person who does it. I'll buy them a beer... make that 2 ;)
This could easily turn into a "how drunk can we get the dev team" contest :D

Remember, Americans are light weights ;)

bpa
2008-03-31, 01:59
As for the music playback through the headphones - i cant see how it would take much work. The UI is already there and the DAC works for playing menu sound effects. All we need is to be able to go into "choose player" and see "Controller" on the list. I guess the hard part is streaming the music to it?

If you really eager - see thread below - the squeezeslave stopped working during development but a user has said it works again as DAC is released if sound effects are turned off.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=38486

rtitmuss
2008-03-31, 04:02
This could easily turn into a "how drunk can we get the dev team" contest :D

Remember, Americans are light weights ;)

Ah, but remember not all the dev team are American :)

There seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding re audio playback on the controller. We are not depending the community to implement audio playback (but as always there help is very welcome). This is a planned feature for a future firmware release, and initial work has begun.

Richard

funkstar
2008-03-31, 04:19
Ah, but remember not all the dev team are American :)
Which just leaves more in the donation pot for the non-Americans :)

Zevs
2008-03-31, 09:24
There seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding re audio playback on the controller. We are not depending the community to implement audio playback (but as always there help is very welcome). This is a planned feature for a future firmware release, and initial work has begun.
Richard

Thanks very much for that info Richard! It seemed strange if you guys didn't want to exploit this, that is why you put that socket in there in the first place :)Really looking forward to this, will be a very cool extra feature!!

Zevs

aubuti
2008-03-31, 10:55
Sorry if I contributed to that misunderstanding earlier in this thread, but the topic does seem to be a moving target. Just 3 weeks ago JimC's post referred exclusively to 3rd party development (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=44381#5). But I guess those quotation marks/inverted commas around "official" in JimC's post weren't an accident ;o) Glad to see the coding guys at SD/Logi are already on it.

funkstar
2008-03-31, 11:40
Likewise, I've allways assumed this would be a feature added by the dev team, but I'm always a little hesitant of saying as much when replying to similar threads. I wouldn't want to commit you lot to something that may or may not happen in the future :)

autopilot
2008-03-31, 11:44
Good news richard, especially as many times we have been told it would be third party only. But i am glad a core feature being done officially (better for you guys too as you cant really use third party stuff in your marketing). Any news also on the IR?