PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: a SD Remote Computer Controller

Fork
2008-03-27, 12:57
I wonder if you're like me? Your setup directly connects your computer to your stereo component, so you don't need the Squeezebox receiver but you'd love to have a good remote with a visual display, to control your SqueezeCenter software.

Apple already has a remote feature to control iTunes, but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as the Duet controller and I don't want to switch to an Apple platform at this point. Hopefully SD will come up with a PC controller, or maybe Apple will adapt their technology to a PC platform.

Zaragon
2008-03-27, 13:08
Run squeezeslave or softsqueeze on the PC then the SqueezeBox Controller will do just what you want.

peter
2008-03-28, 05:30
Fork wrote:
> I wonder if you're like me? Your setup directly connects your computer
> to your stereo component, so you don't need the Squeezebox receiver but
> you'd love to have a good remote with a visual display, to control your
> SqueezeCenter software.
>
> Apple already has a remote feature to control iTunes, but I don't think
> it's anywhere near as good as the Duet controller and I don't want to
> switch to an Apple platform at this point. Hopefully SD will come up
> with a PC controller, or maybe Apple will adapt their technology to a
> PC platform.
>

This is actually possible with the new Controller (as Zaragon already
said), if you have a wifi network, that is. You just have to wait until
the Controller can be bought separately. I imagine there's lots of
people who play their music via their PC who could be very happy with an
SBC, if only they knew...

Regards,
Peter

NewBuyer
2008-03-29, 00:07
One issue often mentioned with direct PC audio is finding playback software that can avoid the Windows kmixer, for instance by using ASIO or DirectKS (WDM kernel streaming) plugins etc.

But if you use squeezeslave or softsqueeze with an SBC, won't the stream necessarily be processed through the kmixer?

radish
2008-03-29, 08:18
Shouldn't be. If you install ASIO drivers for your output device and then select that as the output in softsqueeze it should work the same as any other player.

pski
2008-03-29, 14:06
I wonder if you're like me? Your setup directly connects your computer to your stereo component, so you don't need the Squeezebox receiver but you'd love to have a good remote with a visual display, to control your SqueezeCenter software.

Apple already has a remote feature to control iTunes, but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as the Duet controller and I don't want to switch to an Apple platform at this point. Hopefully SD will come up with a PC controller, or maybe Apple will adapt their technology to a PC platform.

See numerous posts concerning the Nokia770 skin/device.

There are posts concerning response but I've had good luck after changing the interface / items per page parameters...

P